What's new

*** Official OCEAN'S TWELVE Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Aaron Thorne

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure if I am alone or not but I am dying to see this movie.

I was a huge fan of the first and will definitely make a trip to the theater Friday night.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler

I would be making a trip Fri night to see this but I have to wait for a g/f who cant go till Sun, so I told her Id wait. Oceans 11 is one of our mutual favs and we used to date; so I guess im a sucker.

Damn! :angry:

PS Aaron, you are not alone.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I know no one here has yet seen it... but is a screening of 11 essential to appreciating 12?

--
H

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

I don't know if I would say it is "essential", but it definitely wouldn't hurt.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Yeah well, the g/f wants to see it tomorrow... I would hate to shell out $5+ at Bluckbuster to watch it tonight or tomorrow when I get it through Netflix early next week...

I think I'll just go tomorrow. All style no substance I hear, so that should be fine.

--
H - Bah

Aaron Thorne

Stunt Coordinator

$5 at blockbuster??? My local blockbuster prices non new release dvd rentals for $1.99

I recommend watching the first one before going to see the second. The first one does a really good job of introducing all of the characters. I also believe twelve will have plot points which fall back on the storyline from eleven.

If this one is half as good as the first I'll be thrilled. Like I said earlier, I absolutely LOVED ocean's eleven. :D

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
with 54 reviews in, the best the film can muster is a 63% fresh rating at rotten tomatoes.
the first film is probably the only Steven Soderbergh movie i didn't like (haven't seen them all tho).
no real hurry to see this one, but hopefully it will make a $hitload of dough so i can get another movie like Solaris in the not too distant future.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Saw it today and greatly enjoyed it. I liked Ocean's 11, but this is much better.

Soderbergh seems to be having a great deal of fun with not only the characters and story, but the whole style of the piece. And that fun translates to an audience who is willing to invest some effort in paying attention.

Looking at the early comments in this thread when the film was just announced, I saw one that said this movie would be another case of "style over substance". Not only was that a grossly unfair comment (made before the filming had even completed), but it also turns out to be inaccurate. It has both style AND substance. OK, not the kind of substance that will spark intellectual debates, but it has a challenging plot with twists and turns and great characters.

Realistic? Nah...But it's a heist movie. And this one delivers more than you might expect.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
have to ammend what i wrote earlier.
its not that i hated O11, its just that its the first Soderbergh movie i've seen that i left feeling "pleasant but...eh"
and the more distance i had from it, the less and less i felt any need to revisit it.
mostly it was the chemistry (or cool cucumber attitude) that seemed, to me, a little too cutesy/forced.
the actual heist itself was fun though.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
Be sure to stick around for Julia Roberts' screen credit at the end. That was worth a chuckle too.

Saw it last night. Overall, not sure if it's as solid as the first one. For one thing, each person was selected for their particular talents in the first movie, but that goes out the window here with everyone doing whatever needs doing. I suppose you can argue that it's because of the desperate situation they've been put in, but it doesn't feel right. And Danny Ocean basically disappears for a long stretch at the end, which doesn't seem to serve any real purpose in the scam they're pulling. But it was entertaining, I'll give it that.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I wasn't a big fan of the first one -- thought it was OK. I felt quite uninvolved and bored by this one.

I actually found myself wondering when Tess was going to show up in the story again. The whole "she looks a lot like. . ." and the Bruce Willis appearance were the liveliest part of the film for me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Ocean's Twelve" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Ocean's Twelve" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Evan Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I am going to have to go see it again just to catch all of the details that I missed the first time.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
I really like the Oceans 11 remake, but I was bored silly with Oceans 12.

First one was slick, interesting and right to the point. The new one just drug and drug and nothing was interesting.

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor

I agree. There was a little too much camera play and movement, with close-ups and zooms on every cast member in each new scene for my taste (kind of the "we don't have much plot, so let's make the camera a co-star and give face time to each character" school of film-making).

Ocean's 11 had more "meat on the bones" - we saw more of the actual scam unfold, even if we couldn't put all the pieces together at the time - hence, it's re-watchability factor was high. In Ocean's 12, we're completely clueless until the very end for how they've pulled it off.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Its a VERY different film from the first. While I liked it, I'd choose 11 over 12.

Speaking of, I absolutely HATE the tagline for this movie!

"Twelve is the New Eleven."

Yeah, I know that it sounds very Soderbergh-ish, but I still hate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks