What's new

*** Official OCEAN'S ELEVEN Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Ocean's Eleven". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
All HTF member film reviews of "Ocean's Eleven" should be posted to this thread.
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I will be seeing this film this afternoon and will post my review in the Official Review thread as well as post any comparison comments between this film and the original here in the Official Discussion thread. Let me preface my comments by saying that I'm a big fan of the original. It's not a great film but it is a movie that I've enjoyed watching often over the last 30 something years. Watching the Rat Pack films has always been fun to me and I appreciated the camaraderie between the guys. Anyhow, until later.......

Crawdaddy

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
HOLLYWOOD, December 5, 2001 -- After more than a year in which the expected conversion of movie theaters from film to digital media appeared to be stymied -- largely because of the exhibitors' economic turmoil -- Warner Bros. announced Tuesday that at least 19 theaters will use the Technicolor Digital Cinema system to show Ocean's Eleven when it opens this weekend.
Wow, i would have thought someone like Lucas would have been the one getting this to happen.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
HOLLYWOOD, December 5, 2001 -- After more than a year in which the expected conversion of movie theaters from film to digital media appeared to be stymied -- largely because of the exhibitors' economic turmoil -- Warner Bros. announced Tuesday that at least 19 theaters will use the Technicolor Digital Cinema system to show Ocean's Eleven when it opens this weekend.
------------------------------------------------------------
Wow, i would have thought someone like Lucas would have been the one getting this to happen.
Actually, Steven Sodeburgh is very enthusiastic about digital projection:
"Soderbergh stated his conviction in the promise of digital cinema. And his interest is resulting in a digital release for his latest film. “I’ve requested that Warner Bros. make digital prints [of Ocean’s Eleven],” he reported. “We are going to do [digital distribution] wherever possible.
“That’s the future,” he enthused, as he began to speak faster. “I saw the latest TI [Texas Instruments] DLP. It was jaw dropping… I was, to put it mildly, really, really impressed with the DLP. It was really exciting and I saw it on a big screen. They were showing it on a split screen, and then they transferred a reel of one of my own films so I could see what it looked like. I just [thought] we’ve got to get this into as many theaters as possible as quickly as we can.”
You can read the entire article at:
http://www.filmandvideomagazine.com/.../soderberg.htm

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
They(you know, they) were saying that the movie, in fact any digital movie, could be transmitted via satellite to any theater that was digital ready, but they are actually shipping DVD's of Oceans Eleven to those theaters.
I wonder what equiptment they will be using to play those DVD's :)

Craig Chatterton

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I read a review on koin.com that said it was "OK, but not great". I'm curious what other people think of it. Crawdaddy, you seen it yet?

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I just finished watching and was pretty dissapointed.

I guess here is my opinion:

I've always hated it when people decide to remake movies that I love the original of and then they screw it up. But I watched Oceans 11 (the original, 1960) last night and thought "this is getting remade?" The film struck me as a neat concept, with the rat pack, but pretty thin on plot.

So, I figured: great! This is a chance for the remake to improve on the original. That occassionally happens. And, since I thought both Out of Sight and Traffic were excellent films, I looked forward to Oceans 11.

But after watching it, I left with a "ho-hum" kind of feeling. Yes, there were special effects... though they didn't seem very special. Much of the film.. I'll say, 2/3 was devoted to explaining how the action would happen. I'm not giving away much plot to say (although this is updated) a crack team is assembled with the idea of breaking into the Bellagio, MGM Grand, and Mirage and get all the goods. I guess having recently been to Vegas for COMDEX, I found some of the moments revolving around these hotels to be rather humorous, though they were not meant to be.

The pacing was very "stop start" and was not quite as impressive as I had come to expect from Soderbergh.

The film as a whole was fairly entertaining, but pretty confusing due to a poor plot that wasn't changed hardly at all from the original, just made more modern with some hotel changes and dollar increases.

I guess I would say I thought it to be a passable dissapointment, not a bad film, but not anything I would consider an Oscar contender, and probably not a film I'll buy on DVD. C+

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Yes, a pretty disappointing film. I just posted my review in the official review thread. The National Board of Review rated this as the third best film of the year, which is kind of puzzling to me considering the other films that were listed after this one, which I thought were actually better. :)
~Edwin

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
I'd put this film in the top 10 easily, and possibly top 5. Loved it loved it loved it!

Can someone tell me what was removed from the film re: WTC attack? Seeing the buildings come down
makes me think that that could have been on the chopping block but they left it back in?

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Well, I managed to have a look at this today as well.

I wasn't terribly impressed by the film, then again I was kept entertained for the near 2 hours. I loved the dialogue, there were some gems in there for sure. Definately worth a watch, though don't expect anything like Sodeburgh's last two films.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I'm going tomorrow, but honestly, could you guys confuse me more in the review thread? :)
It sucks
It's great
It's not bad
It's great
It's kinda dull
It's horrible
It's a lot of fun.
My head hurts. ;)

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I enjoyed the movie, but I believe that one must go in with the right mood. Unlike The Limey or Traffic, Ocean's Eleven doesn't really seduce you into it, you just have to be ready for some light weight fun. Most of the performers all have at least one fun scene, and the plot is so ridiculous that the heist no longer becomes the central focus.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
I did think the plot held together more than, say, The Big Lebowski. It was far-fetched enough to be fun and almost believeable.

My favorite scene is when Bernie Mac's character rips into the racial accusatory stuff
. That was hilarious.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
I'm going tomorrow, but honestly, could you guys confuse me more in the review thread?
It sucks
It's great
It's not bad
It's great
It's kinda dull
It's horrible
It's a lot of fun.
I'll provide an answer:
It's great
It's great
It's a lot of fun. :)
Jay

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
"Ocean's Eleven" debuts with a $12.9 million mark on Friday and is on pace for between a $38-$42 million weekend haul, easily making it the biggest December opening in history.

Looks like director Steven Soderbergh will get his third consecutive $100 million performer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks