Official New Zelda Trailer

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Greg_S_H, May 17, 2005.

1. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
  2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

EEK!!! GORGEOUS!!!

3. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

My first experience with Zelda was with The Wind Waker, ao I have to admit to missing the Diney-like graphics and colors (I remember playing it for 20 hours strait once at the detrement of my health). I will still buy the new Zelda, but it will probably be my last purchase of a Nintendo product. my next purchase will be the XBOX 360 and Perfect Dark Zero.

4. BrionL

BrionL Stunt Coordinator

Cool looking. The question I have is is anyone getting a little bored with Zelda? I mean can't Nintendo come up with something new besides Zelda or Mario? That is why I think Nintendo isn't selling as well as the PS2 or Xbox. Just my opinion. Anyone agree?

Brion

5. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

The way I see it, there will always be a new generation of gamers discovering and experiencing the likes of Zelda and Mario for the first time; couple this with gameplay and/or storylines that incorporates universal themes, and you usually have a winner every time.

Speaking for myself, I don't have the same affinity for Zelda as some of my gaming cohorts, so the latest installment doesn't interest me in the slightest.

6. BrionL

BrionL Stunt Coordinator

Good point Ken.

Brion

7. Brian=Johnson

I am pumped for the release of LOZ:TP. I am a huge Zelda fan. Because of Zelda and Mario alone, I will continue to support and buy Nintendo products. As sad as it makes me, I believe that Nintendo will be out of the home console market in 8 years. They will switch over to software and the gameboy device.

Larry,
    I am working through the wind waker right now, and even though I love the style of the cell-shaded graphics, the more photo realistic style of LoZ:TP is the way that Zelda should be played. If you can get a hold of LoZ: Ocarina of Time which was made for the N64. Many would argue that it is one of the best video games ever made. I agree with this fact.

Also I am curious if there is an age thing when it comes to loving the Zelda series. I'm 21.

8. BrionL

BrionL Stunt Coordinator

Well, I'm 28 soon to be 29, and I used to love Zelda until after the N64. After that I just wasn't interested in it anymore.

Brion

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Nintendo has been making a TON of new franchises. Some are spinoffs (like the Mario sports games, Mario Party, Super Smash Bros.), but I'll take a quality game from Nintendo with two decade-old characters over some 100% original piece of crap by someone else.

When it comes to Zelda, you're basically guaranteed a quality 20+ hour experience in every way (visually, aurally, and interactively). Not every studio can promise that.

10. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

Yuppers, that's one thing that Nintendo offers, imho, that no other console has: trust. I've never bought a first party title and been disappointed (even Super Mario Sunshine [​IMG]), which is why I may buy other consoles but I will always own a Nintendo first and foremost.

It's hard to ignore characters you've grown up with like Mario, Zelda, Samus Aran, Donkey Kong, Sonic, etc. It's always nice to sit down and play a new game featuring something or someone you've spent a lot of good times with.

How many of us can hum the main themes from Zelda & Mario? Can't say that about a lot of other games.

11. Brian_Pete

Brian_Pete Stunt Coordinator

This was from an interview with Zelda director Eiji Aonuma on IGN regarding whether the game will support 16X9 widescreen.

Uh, you could have just said no.

I think what's even funnier is that all of the flat panels Nintendo had Zelda playing on in their booth were of course widescreen. How hard could it possibly be to make this game truly widescreen.

With all that said it's still going to be a great game. I've always loved Zelda and this one looks awesome so far.

On a side note:
    I think Nintendo is going to do very well in the next generation. They aren't trying to compete with MS and Sony. Nintendo will let MS and Sony duke out the tech war. They are going to offer a system at a much lower price point and make their games easily accessible. Young kids and parents will definitely be picking this system over the other two. IMO

12. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

I absolutely cannot wait to get this game. Easily my most anticipated ever. Each trailer has been more interesting and involving than the preceding one, as well as revealing some really interesting play mechanics. And beyond the trailer, the hands-on play descriptions and especially the various interviews have me foaming at the mouth. And to say that Zelda games are all the same isn't at all fair. Each entry has definitely brought much new to the scene. The first created the series, the second was a valiant but mixed effort to change things up. The third was huge, with a living world, and introduced the light/dark world mechanic. Ocarina of Time brought the series to 3D and is arguably the greatest game of all time. Majora's Mask took Ocarina's gameplay and mated it to a truly bizarre world, as well as adding the 3 day mechanic. Following people around and seeing things in the world develop was awesome. Wind Waker was the least innovative, but did have a truly massive overworld, a very well done (but overdone) sailing dynamic, gorgeous graphics, and some of the most expressive and well animated characters I've seen. I have no doubt Twilight Princess will be no different.

As for Nintendo exiting the console business, not likely. It's too lucrative. They're the only company that makes money on every console sold from day 1 (MS's X-box division, despite having a marginally larger installed base, has yet to turn a profit) and are making great money. They're safe for a while longer. Besides, going software only did nothing for Sega's fortunes; I'd be very wary of following that path.

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Nintendo also only makes videogames. Sony and MS could completely bomb in the next generation and easily just drop out of the industry, but Nintendo will still be around.

They will leave consoles when they stop making money. Pokemon, Mario, and Zelda (not even mentioning Metroid, Donkey Kong, all their Japan-only games, and the spinoffs like Smash Bros. and WarioWare) are always going to sell well enough to turn a profit versus the costs of production of the software and the hardware, so they're going to stick around for a long time.

Sega died because of a horrible Japanese Dreamcast launch and no real money to back the console for too long. Nintendo has had some less-than-stellar launches, but their consoles still make money and they have enough in the bank as it is.

14. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Good point. That they actually turn a profit on every console sold is pretty amazing.