What's new

*** Official MYSTIC RIVER Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Mystic River". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
An interesting film with some very good performances. This film will be discussed in depth on this forum because of the performances as well as the true meaning behind the resolution of this film's story. I'm probably going to see it again before making my final judgement on it. It's a film I would recommend to anyone, but I can see where some might not appreciate it as much as me.

Crawdaddy

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Mystic River is very problematic both in its story and execution. But what saves it is the stellar performances by most of its cast. The missteps are far too many to list here without spoiling the film (so maybe in the discussion thread).

Clint Eastwood’s direction, for the most part, is controlled and assured, but still, he manages to make some questionable choices along the way.

~Edwin

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
:star: :star: :star: :star:

A shattering story, beautifully told and acted. All are excellent, but Penn, Robbins, and Marcia Gay Harden are standouts. Interesting to see Tom Guiry (Scotty in The Sandlot) as a much better adult actor than a child actor.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Finally managed to see this. There is no doubt that the performances are compelling, but it couldn't save the film for me.

The manner in which the story advances is both jerky and sometimes stands in the way of the overall storytelling. The story itself has some serious problems with internal consistency that it can't quite overcome.

No doubt about it, the performances - especially that by Penn - are fantastic. But the film itself fails to really resonate in a way that I walked out and thought "wow". In fact, while I know a lot of people will applaud the very dark and moody finish, I found it to be done in such a heavy-handed method that it didn't have that gut feeling that says "this is good stuff"

:star: :star: :star: / :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I thought was a little too slow moving for me. If you have the patience, it might pay off for you. It did not for me.

I give it 2.5 stars or a grade of C+.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I thought the pacing was just fine,and I specially liked the paralell storytelling at the end,though I was somewhat "unsatisfied" with the ending,nevertheless it was unconventional.Performances direction was very good IMO.
:star: :star: :star:/ :star: :star: :star: :star:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks