What's new

*** Official MY BLOODY VALENTINE (2009) Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I must say that i'm becoming more and more disturbed at films going to 3D only because the later Blu-Ray and DVD release will suffer.

Journey to the Center of the Earth looks like utter crap in 2D on BD and is only passable in 3D on BD.

This is what we have to look forward to with this 3D trend? :frowning:

Anyhoo, I like the original and want to see this one.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Well, since movies were originally meant to be seen in theaters I'd say that the filmmaker shouldn't worry himself about the Blu release. With that said, I'm really not sure how the 2D version would look but I can't imagine ever bothering with that. I've read that 2/3rds of people would there will be seeing the 2D version, which is a real shame. I'd be mad if LionsGate promoted this as being 3D and then my theater only got the 2D version.

I don't see how a home setting could capture what the Real3D was like so I'd certainly go catch this one in a theater.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
If the movie was made for 3D than believe me the 2D will look terrible on BD and DVD later which is my point. JttCotE was made for 3D and it shows when trying to watch it in 2D, it looks incredibly fake and flat.

If we can't get a good 2D presentation and we can only MAYBE get a passable 3D presentation at home than what do we have to look foreward to if every new film is made for 3D?

It's a cool gimmick for theaters but not beyond that, that's what i'm worried about because these 3D films will be seen the most at home.

Making films for theaters first and foremost is great, i'm all for it, but when we can't recreate that at home with any reasonable degree of accuracy, either 3D or 2D, than we're getting into unwanted territiory IMO.

It isn't the same as films using wider ratios to draw in audiences like they did way back when to lure people away from the boob tube because we can recreate faithfully a films AR at home, with this we cannot.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Me and a buddy tried to catch it last night but the 3-D shows were already sold out at 5 PM. I shoulda known better than to try to go to a theater on a Saturday night.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Isn't the fact you can't see it this way at home the whole point? ;)

Theaters want to make money, and this is the new gravy train. Not every film is going to lend itself to this sort of thing though. I don't think we're going to see heavy dramatic films throwing things at the camera every couple minutes...

I would like to see some classic films originally lensed in 3-D get reissued in the new system. "House of Wax" or "Dial M for Murder" anyone?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
FINAL DESTINATION 4 and PIRAHNA are going to be 3-D. With the box office returns this week I'm sure other producer's will be jumping into the game.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The size of the screen doesn't matter. Theatrical 3D has always depended on two projectors, each projecting one "eye" of the picture. You can approximate it by flipping from one eye to the other with each refresh, and having "flicker" glasses, but it still isn't nearly as effective.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I forgot to mention this but it was also nice seeing a horror film with adult characters. They were all my age (around 28) but it beats the 16-18 year olds we're use to the past few years.

As for the ending:

I know they were going for a HAUTE TENSION type of ending but I thought it was a major bomb here. Earlier in the film we see the character inside the cage while the "killer" is stabbing the miner. We see both of them in the frame so the explanation at the end doesn't work at all.

BrettV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett Voss
spent 15.50 at the arclight to see this one in 3d -- I don't know why they charge an extra 2 dollars if you can't keep the glasses. I really enjoyed it. Definitely not a life changing movie, but it was a lot of fun.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Adam, the ending still didn't cut it for me. I expect a film like this to cheat but I felt the cheat here was just too much. I didn't like the twist in the other film I mentioned either.

Brett, you should have been able to keep the glasses. I took my girlfriend's daughters with me and all three of us kept the glasses as did everyone else in the theater. The thought of wearing glasses that someone else did would bother me to wear I wouldn't have bought a ticket. God knows who was wearing them before you or whatever else. We got our glasses the same time we bought tickets and the manager just had to mark our tickets to say we got them. There was nothing about giving them back.

Ticket prices here were $2.25 higher and I plan on taking my girlfriend at some point. When I do I'm going to ask since we have the tickets if we have to pay the extra money. If so, I'll just buy a ticket for something else and then go into this one.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
When I saw "Meet the Robinsons" a couple years back, the theater let you keep the glasses. (They came sealed in a little baggie.)

The multiplex near me now has the 3-D setup, and when I saw "The Nightmare Before Christmas" you had to surrender the glasses on the way out of the theater. They do wash them between screenings though! I would hope all theater chains do that.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I liked the ending of the film.. it kept me guessing right up to the very end. Even when you thought you were sure who's who or not, it took the very last second to be positive. I didn't think it was any kind of cheat, and the explanation worked fine for me. Something a little extra aside from just the (welcomed) return to routine slasher stuff.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
This was my first theatrical 3-D movie since...Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone? I was very impressed with the new process. I tend to agree with the comments so far - typically formulaic slasher movie stuff but it's slightly elevated by a solid cast and cool 3-D effects. I did often wonder why a guy with a pick-axe was supposed to be so invincible because it seems to me that pick-axes aren't exactly the most reliable weapons for killing people but I guess unwieldly weaponry is a cliche of the genre
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales

Not to mention running around in the dark in a gas mask. In reality he probably wouldn't be able to see for shit.

That aside, I gotta agree: no classic, but a cool throwback to eighties slashers.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I watched the uncut version of the original film last night and I must say that this remake is SOOOOOOO much better. I think a lot of issues, story wise, are fixed in this remake and I also like how you could look at the opening here as a sequel to the original film. I thought the love triangle here was a lot better written and certainly more dramatic. I also found the characters here to be a lot more entertaining.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
^ Gotta disagree with you there.

While I did have a good time with MBV 3D, the characters in the original take it for me. Neil Affleck and Paul Kelman felt very real to me, and their dialogue is fairly believable - if nothing terribly flashy. In fact, part of why the original film is so nicely distinguished from a lot of its timely peers is becuase of its thick, working class atmosphere and characters.

T.J and Axel felt like old friends and Sarah is believably caught in the middle of them. I love the bit where she screams out about "not caring anymore." Very nicely handled by Lori Hallier.

In this remake, Jensen Ackles is blandsville (really showing off those limited soap opera chops) and some of the dialogue is pretty bad. One thing that really bothered me was the reliance on the word "fuck". It often felt shoehorned into the dialogue during Axel and Tom's arguments, more of a weak-writing crutch than anything else.

Still, I give MBV 3D for actually bothering with characters. I think Jaime King does some really nice work here - I have no problem saying that without her, the 'love triange' would've have worked half as well.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Just came back from seeing it. The 3-D and the Hard "R" rating made for a fun time at the movies. But I also feel that the movie clearly cheated with the identity of the killer.

If you want to take what happens literally, Tom was locked in that cage watching what was going on in the mine. He never has a drop of blood on him and it would be impossible to change out of all that stuff within minutes after a death without contamininating himself. If you want to believe that all the stuff you saw was from Tom's perspective, thereby making it possible to show his "normal" self being locked in the cage while his "alter ego" miner was doing the killing, then the film withheld any information where the viewer could make that guess. You didn't even find out he was in an institution until the climax of the film, and unless I missed something, the film didn't even provide an inkling of that fact prior. The reveal was weak as well with the old device of him describing things that he should not have known about. and even didn't happen until right near the end. It might have been more clever if it happened alot earlier in the film for the astute viewer to pick up on.

Barring that (and that did bring the movie down for me) it was fine for what it was, just don't expect logic.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

I could not believe they charged only $6 last night at the Showcase cinemas in North Haven, CT. The other nights its $14.25! It was great fun with an almost full theatre, lots of screaming, great 3-D and sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Righ
Recent bookmarks