What's new

*** Official "MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING" Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.
Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!
If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.
Crawdaddy

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I saw it again this afternoon, and obviously the buzz on this film is terrific because the theater was packed for a 2:40 p.m. showing. The film is still funny even if you know the punchlines because the audience gets so wrapped up with this film, and laughter is contagious.

The following is a reprint of my review of MBFGW in the discussion thread.

Holy mother of Windex, I can't remember the last time I was crying throughout a film from the laughter coming out of my mouth and gut. Even when I saw the punchline coming a mile away, it's the characters are written to be so internally consistent that it may be even funnier knowing what's coming. There's this instant familiarity in this film that engaged me, and had me almost nearly rolling down the aisle (I did have an aisle seat) at some of the utter zaniness from the humor. And furthermore, there's some real heart felt connections/emotions and side stories of going after what you want and still being able to maintain a balance between your family background/past, and who you'll become in the future.

Sure, it's not one of those meaty films that make you all introspecty-like, but for almost 2 hours, I was transported into a story of a culture clash romance/marriage that results in so many laughs/minute that I was totally entertained by the film, and so was the audience that saw it with me.

I give it 4 stars,or a grade of A.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It took me a while to see this film, probably because Edwin has been swooning over it.;) Anyhow, besides the problem I had with accepting why John Corbett was attracted to Nia Vardalos, I had a great time watching this film. The showing I was at didn't have very many people in the audience, but I still laughed out loud several times and totally enjoyed my movie-viewing experience. I had fun with all the film's characters especially the Portokalos family members. This is a very good adult comedy that I will definitely purchase on DVD.
Crawdaddy

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Here's my review from a few months ago in the discussion thread...
10 of 10
Remember My Best Friends Wedding, or Father of the Bride, or any other wedding comedy. Well this is the funniest of them all. I knew it was supposed to be fun, but I was rolling with laughter as was the rest of the packed house (on the smaller megaplex screen, but still only about 10 seats left). The demographics were everywhere. I had a 50 year old woman and her mother on one side and a couple of 16 year old girls next to my fiancee. We all howled time and time again. EVERYONE laughed and loudly.
The film is that kind of funny. Besides that the film has really wonderful characters and quite a bit of warmth, charm and realism. It was nice to see a lead actress who was much closer to "normal". Pretty enough but not Hollywood beautiful or anything. And she gets paired with a guy who would normally be out of her league (John Corbett of Sex and the City fame) which is also a nice change in a film.
Man, was it refreshing to laugh so much at a film in such a genuine manner. It works on some formula, but with spins and performances that are simply outstanding. Andrea Martin gives yet another great effort to match her work in Hedwig last year.
The only problem is the obnoxious product placement for Windex.;) :)

Wes C

Supporting Actor
A-
I saw this the week it opened and highly enjoyed it! I've seen it twice since and have recommended it to many friends. They all loved it too. If you have yet to see this movie, hopefully a theater near you is showing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks