What's new

*** Official "MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I told you I liked the trailer Tino. You think I'm nuts but I think there is something to a solid film version of a very currently popular musical. The trailer showed me good production values at the very least.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I don't think you're nuts Seth.....well, on second thought..:D
Seriously, I am not saying that it will be bad, I may love it as I usually do with musicals. The trailer just left me cold.
One reason may be that I can't stand Catherine Zeta-Jones-Douglas whatever!;)

Mark Hanson

Agent
To change the discussion a bit since this is the highest grossing independent film now one of the top grossers and against suprising competition is still on the charts. For the experts how does this compare to other high grossing films that have never reached the number one spot.

As for why it has grossed so much, it is done by a group vs what they know about their culture. But remove that and look at the common things like this in all cultures and it really hits home especially to couples watching it for fun. It brings back so many memories for those that have them, it you don't no comprehende for the film.

But for me and my wife it was my sister's wedding during rural Minnesota deer season to a 'city tough' and how multiple events made the wedding hilarious even though the marriage was terrible, my sister quickly forgave me, my cousins, uncles, and friends saying we got them good. But really all we did was what would have happened for any one about to become a relative and not a cultural insider. My wife and I marrying in the Philipines to her culture and then off to rural midwest life. Again worth two hours of discussion more than my sisters wedding. The discussion over snacks after the movie with our friends was just as much fun as movie that triggered them.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
In the past week, I finally saw both films from the past year that have practically defined the ethnic wedding genre. Enjoyed them both! :D
MBFGW is light and fluffy, a joyful experience on the whole, but one that's instantly forgettable and which feels rather like every star-crossed lovers story you've ever seen. Still, it motors along without a hitch, pumping every last ounce of sentiment and humor out of each situation. Stereotypes? Well, sure. All of 'em. And not just the Greeks. A fairly tired duo of two-dimensional WASPs are stamped from cardboard and propped into far too many scenes. But I wasn't looking for a piercing social critique, realism, or anything more than a good time... which I certainly received! :emoji_thumbsup:
But "Monsoon Wedding" has vaulted to near the very summit of my favorite movies of the past year. I've not been a fan of Nair's previous movies, though I thought Mississippi Masala had more than a few redeeming qualities. But this film, IMO, is her masterpiece (thusfar anyway). Style-wise, it straddles the line between documentary and the poetics of magic realism, and I found this a wonderful place to be. Everything about this film is vibrant - the colors, the movements, the music, the dialog, the costumes, the characters. One of the few unqualified cinematic joys of the past year, and a film that keeps coming back to me in those little moments of quiet reflection that a good day affords - I know I'll be revisiting this movie frequently in the years ahead!
And if you get your hands on the DVD, don't miss Nair's commentary track. It's the finest I've heard recently (and I love good commentaries), providing a wealth of insight not only into the making of the film, but also Punjabi culture and Indian culture generally. Very, very highly recommended. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Mark
This coming weekend, My Big Fat Greek Wedding will become the highest grossing film to never reach #1*, supassing Dances With Wolves $184 million gross.
*on the weekend chart, as it was #1 during the week a few times.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I concur with Al's assessment of both Monsoon Wedding and MBFGW. MW is richly layered and played out honestly, MBFGW is played for laughs with underlying universal truths about marriages that feature culture clash. MBFGW will entertain, but once you leave the table, it's still good for a few laughs, but MW will stay with you much longer, and invite return visits.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I HATE DESPISE and LOATHE romantic comedies. Id rather sit in the dentist chair and have my teeth drilled than be subjected to 2 hours of Pretty Woman,The Wedding Planner, Sleepless in Seatle, etc etc.
Having said that, I REALLY enjoyed this film. The g/f wanted to see it so I submitted. I thought it was very sweet,charming,intelligent and genuinely funny(which is very rare). Huge :emoji_thumbsup: for the biggest suprise Ive had in a movie theater in I dont know how long.
BTW,People really need to not take things so seriously. Everyone is always offended by everything nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks