What's new

*** Official "MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If anybody wants their review of this fine film moved to the Official Review thread just drop me a PM and it will be done.

Crawdaddy

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Saw this on Saturday, and thought it was good, lighthearted fun. It reminded me a lot of Meet the Parents. I think John Corbett looks like a cross between John Travolta and Ben Affleck!

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Here are two stories on the film's success appearing today on USA Today:

Their big fat success story

By Andy Seiler, USA TODAY

Most observers agree that the low-budget My Big Fat Greek Wedding has triumphed because people fell in love with the timeless story, no-name star and unorthodox cast. Yet a canny but dirt-cheap marketing campaign also helped to make it a hit.

"The film's success is based partly on the slow rollout of the film into more and more theaters," says Paul Dergarabedian, box office analyst with Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc., adding that the great word of mouth is the primary explanation.

"We so believed in the film that we looked under each rock from a creative and promotional respect," says Paul Brooks, president of Gold Circle, which financed the movie with HBO. "We spent so much time on the trailers. We spent so much time on TV spots. We still do this every single morning, including weekends."

Bob Berney, formerly of IFC Films, which is distributing Wedding, says the trick was to somehow let audiences know the movie was out there without spending money. "We screened it and screened it before the opening."

Berney initially had only $1 million to market the film, though typical studio films start with 25 times that amount. His big inspiration was to make Wedding look like it was a major release from a major studio, not an art-house film from a group of small companies that moviegoers have never heard of (including production company Playtone, co-owned by Tom Hanks).

A few of their tactics:

Illusions of grandeur. Wedding opened in only eight cities, but "all over the city, not just the one art house," Berney says.

Limited screens. IFC Films did not book the film in so many theaters that they would be only half-full; it opted for fewer movie houses, which were more apt to be sold out. The more people in the theater, the louder the laughter. Only when attendance goes up does the movie expand.

Avis Burns, 38, a customer service representative in Memphis who has seen the movie twice with his girlfriend, says that Wedding opened in one small theater in his hometown. As he and others spread the positive word, the film moved to four bigger theaters. He knows why: "With some of the summer movies, it's all flash and stars and no real story line."

Reaching out to female audiences on television. Berney focused on TV advertisements that would reach a lot of women, including the Lifetime cable channel, Oprah and Live With Regis and Kelly. Star Nia Vardalos and Wedding producer Rita Wilson, Hanks' wife (who is half-Greek), appeared on women's shows as well, such as The View.

"Nia was not this perfect Hollywood type," Berney says. "She was a real woman. She seems like someone you might meet. Greek or not, the women identify with her."

Kathy Olson, 53, a schoolteacher who lives in Fulton, N.Y., agrees. "After having gone to five or six movies this summer, the one that stands out was My Big Fat Greek Wedding," she says. "I would even go see it again, and I never do that.

Wedding is more than a movie to Olson. "My life was very much the same as the movie. I could not believe it when anyone found me interesting in college, because I had been raised to believe as she did in the movie: 'If you don't watch your figure, babe, no one else will.' I was allowed to go to college, but only in a profession suitable to a woman so that I could support myself, because 'you can't count on a man like some of the cute ones can.' I was shocked to find out that men were interested in me and that I was, in fact, intelligent without my father's advice."

But guys like it, too. "I had a surreal moment in Los Angeles," Vardalos says. "A guy, about 18 years old, came up to me with pierced nose, tongue and eyebrow, one of our first audience members. He said, 'Hey, man, I liked the movie.' I asked him, 'How was it you went?' He said, 'I saw you on The View.' Is that classic?"

Grass-roots effort from Greek community. IFC staff passed out Wedding flyers in key locations, including Greek churches and ethnic festivals. "We make the first Friday 10 p.m. show an event in the Greek community," Berney says.

All these maneuverings helped Wedding beat the odds — and conventional thinking. Not bad for a movie from a director, Joel Zwick, who usually works in TV. Not bad for a film starring a little-known improvisational comedian from Second City's Los Angeles troupe. Not bad considering that its most famous performers are hunky John Corbett, who appeared on HBO's Sex and the City; Andrea Martin, best known for the long-running SCTV comedy series; and Lainie Kazan, who has made a career playing ethnic mamas.

And not bad for a movie that focuses on Greek-Americans, who are not a group with a strong track record at the box office (as opposed to, say, Italian-Americans, African-Americans or Jews).

And Berney's strategy is still going strong — as is the movie. "We're keeping the theaters always full. Normally, you spend all the money you can in the first week. This film really needed the word of mouth. The older audience doesn't go out to the first show Friday. It takes them awhile."

He pauses. "Now we think it can play all the way through the fall."

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Estimating at #3 so far this week. WOW!

I mean, it's climbing up xXx's back now even.

Tino and I were discussing Oscars and I'd say that the film is a LOCK for two noms at least. Actress Nia Vardalos and her screenplay.

Don't believe it (well, most people here probably do), just think Zellweger and Bridget Jones' Diary. Films are VERY similar in themes (woman of less-than-perfect weight going after romance with tons of comedic moments, including physical comedy bits), dominate role is the actress, light romantic comedy.

I will be VERY suprised if this great run doesn't pay off come Oscars. What other pre-Oscar season film has generated as much positive buzz (among films that could contend, ie forget AOTC/Spidey/etc)?

While Perdition falls under the radar with mild reviews, MBFGW is only getting stronger just in time to roll into the Oscar season. Nia and her film get the next month with almost no competition. By October the film will be entrenched in voters minds.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Wow, this is DEFINITELY opening wider. I just checked the IMDB local theater listings to see what's playing where tomorrow, and it's going to be playing in 3 more theaters within the city (it's playing in one, a hip yuppie theater, now). These other theaters are NOT arthouse theaters, though one of them is somewhat more upper scale than average. The other two are grinder theaters (the kind that just play whatever Hollywood grinds out). If this kind of expansion is going on all over the country, MBFGW could very well make it to #1 soon, and into the history books.

This whole thing is just delightful! I don't know her, but the thought of what's going through Nia Vardalos' mind brings a big smile to my face. Plus knowing that Playtone is making some much-needed money. I agree with you Seth, there's no way that this movie will be forgotten come Oscar nomination time.

Edwin, thanks for those articles. They're fun to read.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Personally, I think My Big Fat Greek Weddin is not only going to be a big success, but very likely will get several Oscar nominations.
This is because Oscar voters love an "underdog" movie that gets both critical and moviegoer accolades. It is even possible that the movie might even get a Best Picture nomination.

DanHaya

Second Unit
I agree that the film should get plenty of Oscar buzz, but I disagree that Nia Vardalos will get a Best Actress nomination. I think it's more likely that either Lanie Kazan, Michael Constantine or both will get Supporting Actress and Actor nominations, respectively. I do believe that Vardalos will get a nomination for her screenplay.

The comparison to Renee Zellweger is valid with one exception: Zellweger is an established actress in Hollywood with a proven track record. Vardalos is a newcomer with no previous track record. The only way I see her getting a nomination is if this turns out to be a weak year for strong female roles. That could turn out to be true, but she's still a longshot in my opinion.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
For this Labor Day weekend, MBFGW has moved into some of New York City's premiere locations, including the famous Ziegfeld theater. It'll be interesting to see the box office totals, especially given the lack of any new competition.
Oh yeah, I liked it. :)
M.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Michael
The four day estimate is $13.5 million coming in second after Signs with $16 million.
Wow! Look for it to be #1 next weekend, after 21 weeks in release!!!

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I saw this last week, then wondered why the heck I waited so long! It's like this spot that has been dancing at the periphery of my vision and then one morning I wake up and it's right in the middle of it! Actually that is litterally what happened, since I decided to watch when I saw that one of the local multiplexes was carrying it (i would have sworn they didn't have it the week before). I am ashamed I waited so long to screen this wonderful movie. I truly hope it breaks #1 next week end, that would be something!

--

Holadem

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Count me in as one who has finally seen it. It was great fun. Even the Playtone logo at the opening of the film was hilarious. All accolades to date are well deserved. There is a definite charm similar to Hank's first film, That Thing You Do, where all the characters are empathetic. Regardless of ethnic origin, anyone who's ever gotten married can connect with this film.

Minor quibble - I don't know how this will look on DVD, but I did find the film quite grainy.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
BFGW was the #1 movie for Monday, edging Signs 3.3 to 3.0 million. That's the first day it has been #1.

I saw this film when it hadn't made the first $1 million of its $84 million and surging box office take, and i still don't understand its appeal. The film is boring, predictable, and filled with the most inane - bordering on offensive - stereotypes imaginable.

This is the lowest-IQ movie of the year, even below stuff like Scooby Doo...

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I think part of the reason people have really taken to it is because they feel like they've discovered it rather than had it shoved down their throats for months via marketing campaigns. For example, if this had starred Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan, I don't imagine people would be quite so ecstatic about it. (Yes, I realize Meg Ryan wouldn't be particularly right for the role, but my point is that I think the film's independence and non-name cast earns it points from moviegoers that it wouldn't get if it were a mainstream Hollywood picture, which essentially MBFGW is without the familiar cast.)
The strongly positive reactions still baffle me. I think it's a good film but nothing that really sticks. As for Oscar nominations, it'll never happen. Sure, it makes for a nice success story now, but there are too many big guns coming out that will easily overpower this one.
I like what MBFGW stands for: artistic independence; nice, "clean" entertainment; true word-of-mouth phenomenon; modest production costs. (I imagine the Hollywood version of this might have cost upwards of $50-60 million, which is often patently ridiculous.) I like the movie too, but I can't say it's something I've particularly thought about ever since seeing it. Now Italian for Beginners :)...

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Vickie_M:

I should have said "BFGW is the lowest IQ movie *i've seen* this year", and i've seen about 70 of them. Scooby Doo was actually less predictable than BFGW was. The latter reminded me of those color-by-numbers paintings we did when we were 3 years old.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Mark Pfeiffer:

I agree with some of the things that you mention BFGW standing for - low production budget, word-of-mouth as opposed to glitzy marketing, clean entertainment. But IMO it is a "fake" independent film - it doesn't embody the values of artistic risk-taking and intelligence that independent film is supposed to honor.

As you note, it's essentially a highly-commercial romantic comedy of the kind big studios churn out, just without the big stars and big marketing...

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
The film is boring, predictable, and filled with the most inane - bordering on offensive - stereotypes imaginable.
I'll admit that the film was for the most part predictable, but it didn't hinder the story or pacing at all. It avoided the cliche of one of the characters having to win back the other because of some misunderstanding and then all is fine in the end.
One thing that made the movie comedic was the intermixing of people of different ethnic backgrounds, i.e. the stereotypes (if it's true that these characters were based on stereotypes).
It was a nice little film. :star: :star: :star: (out of four).

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Sure, it makes for a nice success story now, but there are too many big guns coming out that will easily overpower this one.
I don't know Mark. This year's early contenders list is about half the size of last years, with less early year material in the mix already than last year had (when things like Memento and Moulin Rouge were already on the Oscar radar).

What happened last year was that most of the early "favs" didn't deliver. With even less contenders to start with this year I see failure for half of those if things go typical. BTW, I went through a pretty serious list in the TTT thread speaking of Oscar chances, and I had about 14 more serious contenders on that list.

I'm counting not only the obvious Gangs, but stuff like Chicago and even Piano Teacher.

Unless we get MANY surprises or the delivery level is higher than normal, I consider this a rather weak Oscar year at this point.

Perdition, Insomnia, Changing Lanes being the only films I can see even giving a sniff of consideration at this point. Maybe 13 Conversations will get brought up, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

So basically we are looking at maybe only 7-9 real solid contenders when it's all said and done, and that leaves room for both TTT and MBFGW to slip in.

Hell, we really need to just get an Oscar thread going so we can start getting a real idea of what films should/could be in contention.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
My Big Fat Greek Wedding's success doesn't baffle me at all. I think one of the reasons for its vast crossover appeal is that with very few changes, it could have been called My Big Fat Italian Wedding, or Spanish Wedding, or Jewish Wedding, etc..
We all know people just like the ones portrayed in this film. The loud cousin with the big hair, the father with outdated morals, the doting mother, and the eventual introduction of an "outsider" from a small family into a loud big one. My fiancee` herself is experiencing this now with my family as we plan our wedding!:b
The film is so simple and charming and funny that it sursprise me when it surprises others. We can all relate.
As for it being offensive Steve, how about citing some examples. And would you feel this way if you weren't Greek? Sheesh....even Dennis Pag's came around a bit.;)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Oh, and to answer Patrick Sun's question earlier in this thread, My Big Fat Greek Wedding's director, Joel Zwick is indeed the brother of Ed Zwick (Glory, Legends Of The Fall, Courage Under Fire.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks