What's new

*** Official "MURDER BY NUMBERS" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I love Sandra Bullock. Ever since Speed she's been my number one female star. But damn, has she made some suck ass choices. Why on why does she keep on churning out these awful films? Talk about potential that's been wasted! Murder By Numbers sounds a bit more interesting than what's come before it, but it still looks like a fairly generic thriller. One plus point is that it co-stars Ben Chaplin, who (for you UK members) I've always looked out for since his Game On days and subsequent flight to Hollywood. He's a real class act who has yet to really make his mark.
With Halle Berry, Julia Roberts and Gwyneth Paltrow winning Oscars, where's Sandy's gong? I think she needs a new agent. And fast.
Any advance word about how good this is?
I'll see it whether it sucks or not. I'd just prefer it not to be another (shiver) Practical Magic. :frowning:

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
After watching the trailer, I bet $20 that...
The ending deals with Sandra going to the cabin where the two killers hide out. A big whole fiasco happens... one ends up getting killed (I'm saying getting shot) and the other person falls off the cliff. I also wouldn't be suprised if Ben Chaplin somehow comes in to save Sandra Bullock at the last minute. :)

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Hey, I liked Practical Magic...

And if that isn't a sign of a totally hopeless Sandy fan, I don't know what is...

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Nate, that IS a sign, indeed... "Practical Magic", written by now Oscar-winning suck-ass screenwriter Akiva Goldsman, is one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

But Sandra Bullock did just fine in the movie, as did Nicole Kidman.

In fact, I like pretty much ever other Sandra Bullock movie I've seen, she has such a likeable screen-presence.

"Hope floats", "28 days", "Miss Congeniality" were all good movies, especially "28 days", in which I thought she pulled off a great performance.

/Mike

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Yep, she has some kind of serious charisma to come through making those movies watchable.

Count me in as a fan. I'll be there in line for Murder by Numbers.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
"The profile doesn't fit the profile!!"
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
I don't know what's funnier: that line of dialogue or the fact that they're using it to sell the movie... :laugh:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Murder By Numbers". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
All HTF member film reviews of "Murder By Numbers" should be posted to this thread.
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Matthew,
Close, but no cigar. You owe somebody $20. :)
For the record, I thought it was an okay movie, but nothing really special.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Pretty much the same sentiment. An okay movie, but nothing to write home about. Sandra does a good job, and certainly helps the film being in it. There isn't much to say about the storyline. It's pretty much the same storyline as in Alfred Hitchcock's Rope, from the thrill killing to the taunting of the "investigator" by the perpetrators.
Gotta work up a full review.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Saw this yesterday. Here are my thoughts:
-Ben Chaplin is wasted big time. Anyone who saw Game On on BBC2 here in the UK knows that this guy is a serious talent. He hasn't made a mark on Hollywood yet, and with roles like this thats no surprise.
-The two kids were excellent. Great casting, which elevated a very average script to something mildly arresting.
-As other have said, totally forgettable. I don't think I'll ever think about it again after clicking submit.
-Sandra is fine. The edgy side of her character feels very forced, as if they were going for "a very un-typical female lead character". Nonetheless it's a welcome break from her usual stuff.
-It needed a better ending. I wasn't impressed with the final twist, particularly because there was no real resolution, not even in the good "ambigous" sense. Just frustratingly un-developed.
-Overall, not bad. Entertaining and mildly compelling - just what it set out to be I suppose.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Watched this a couple of hours ago with Sandra...
Unremarkable, the kind of film you rent on a rainy day and than wish you hadn't, Sandra Bullock was wasted, not that I'm a huge fan of hers, and I thought director Barbet Schroeder was capable of better than this.
Totally routine, can't wait to see Minority Report next week just to make up for this.:thumbsdown:
Oh yes my Sandra jumped and screamed at one bit though... involving a baboon attacking someone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks