1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

***Official 'MULHOLLAND DRIVE' Review Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Reuben, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

From the offerings of 2001, this was one of the few films that I came out of the theater and looked forward to buying the DVD for it.
    This film is just plain interesting to watch as it unfolds. I would have wished reviewers would not have mentioned what they did in their synopsis. I am glad I went in with absolutely no knowledge of the contents of this film because I think it's best seen "cold", so I won't touch upon any of the narrative points, and just say, if you enjoy Lynch films, you won't be disappointed, and I would not be surprised if you find this film quietly riveting.
    If you pay attention, you'll enjoy the surrealism of the 1st 2 acts, and by the time you get to the 3rd act, it all falls into place like tumblers in a lock, while still remaining with a vestige of mystery intact.
    I did enjoy the performances by Naomi Watts and Laura Harring. You simply can't avert your eyes when they are on the screen.
    I give it a grade of A or 4 stars.
    ------------------
    PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; DIY Mains ; DIY CC ; Sunosub I + II + III ; DVDs ; LDs
    [Edited last by Patrick Sun on November 17, 2001 at 08:58 PM]

2. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Thomas
    Pat, very well said. I concur. This is without a doubt my favorite movie of 2001 and now is my favorite David Lynch film. I too am looking forward to buying the DVD. Maybe it's release will coincide with some other David Lynch movies, like "Lost Highway" and "Twin Peaks."
    "Mulholland Drive" is a film that lends itself to repeat viewings. It is pretty dense and very open to interpretation and its underlying narrative is an attack of the movie-making process and the ambitions of fledgling actors.
    Ebert pretty much nailed it when he said that has a dream-like quality. That's not to say that the writing was a cop out because that quality fit the aspirations of the protagonist.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

3. Dave White

Dave White Auditioning

[Never mind, I sorted it out! [​IMG]]
    [Edited last by Dave White on November 18, 2001 at 04:58 PM]

4. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I guess I review it like Tino did a bit.

I liked the film but I'm not sure if I loved it. I have very mixed feelings about what Lynch tried to do. Partly because as a narrative fan foremost (and I mean the art of narrative, not just "easier to follow") I am sometimes suspicious of directors being intentionally vague just for the sake of being vague.

Difficult films do not bother me and neither does abstract, as long as that's what they are.

In the case of MD, I feel a pull toward difficult but not until I think about it further and discuss it could I say for sure that some of it wasn't just "cool looking" abstract thrown around to appear as maybe being narrative but not really committing to it. Playing both sides without really giving himself to one or the other, reaping benefits from both sides (narrative to hold the audience a bit, abstract to make it "cool and unique").

Call it the intentionally difficult ala Nietzsche, who reveled in it.

Is difficulty Lynch's goal or is he just being interesting? I guess if I decide it was to be interesting then I will put the film in my top 5 or 6, if not then maybe 15-20. Narcissistic work is out of place in the community arts, especially filmmaking, since it's very nature is a shared experience, IMO. Intentionally excluding others is childish.

Here is some key thoughts that I will pursue in the discussion thread.Obviously the theater is the key moment, the hinge point of the film. Consider the message and theme, there IS NO BAND. It is an illusion. Thus, could the resolution to who we are viewing the narrative from be NO ONE. Both girls are dead at the beginning of the film, all is a deathbed dreamlike compilation of what happened to them.

Storywise, I feel certain that "Rita" did escape death by the accident, only to be killed later. Then "Betty" killed herself unable to live with her actions.

I think its safe to say I need a few more viewings to sort it all out.

5. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

SamD
    Just saw this on DVD for the first time. Excellent movie. I saw Lost Highway few weeks ago for the first time and loved that too. Comparing MD to LH, I can say that MD is somehow a little lighter, of course they are both very dark movies with tragic stories. I also feel that the MD story is easier to be discovered and interpreted than LH. I love both movies because they have meanings. I’m not at all a person who likes weirdness for the sake of weirdness. Highly recommended (If you liked LH!) By the way, is there a discussion thread for this or was this before they broke the official movie topics into 2?

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

FYI: The Official Mulholland Drive Discussion Thread can be found here.

7. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

1. I watched this movie last night.

2. I was not a David Lynch fan. I saw Blue Velvet and Wild At Heart a few years ago and didn't "get" them.

3. I loved this movie.

4. I don't know why I loved this movie.

5. I don't get it.

6. I bought the DVD today.

7. I don't know why I bought the DVD today.

8. I will watch again. And again. And again.

9. I don't know why.

10. I must go back and watch Blue Velvet.