*** Official "MR. DEEDS" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Crawford, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Mr. Deeds". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
    All HTF member film reviews of "Mr. Deeds" should be posted to this thread.
    Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
    Crawdaddy

2. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I'm sorta starting to grow weary of Adam Sandler. Ever since 'Big Daddy' he's left me a little cold. I'll probably catch this one on dvd.
    On the other hand, Winona Ryder looks beautiful in this movie! [​IMG]

3. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

People who have seen the film, I'm having trouble deciding.

I love Sandler but thought Nicky and Waterboy were not worth seeing at the theater. The rest of his films I love.

Do any Deeds haters have a similar response to his stuff as I did?

Are there any Deeds fans who also thought Nicky and Waterboy were not so hot?

I just want to filter out Sandler haters/dislikers and Sandler-can-do-no-wrong fans. I'm really on the fence with this one. The early word made me think that Deeds is no better than Nicky, but then a few things I've heard make it sound like Deeds brings the same quality to the formula as Big Daddy, etc.

I like the formula as long as Sandler is on.

4. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

It's not as stupid as Little Nicky or The Waterboy (which I enjoyed for a multitude of different reasons), but it's not sophisticated humor either. Sandler plays a guy from a small town, but has got plenty of "street smarts" and isn't flat out stupid, but likes a good time. Unless you're in a terrible mood, it should make you laugh (I laughed a lot, but I liked the humor and tone of the film).

6. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

"Unless you're in a terrible mood, it should make you laugh (I laughed a lot, but I liked the humor and tone of the film)."
    I don't know about that. This film put me in a terrible mood while watching it, and occasionaly infuriated me. It's not Sandler's fault, he seems like such a nice guy (both in the movie and in reality), but his films are so routine, so repetory that it's amazing they still make money. And yet I look forward to "Punch Drunk Love" with much anticipation, in hopes that he will finally break from his usual schtick.
    And no more remakes! [​IMG]
    Jason

7. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

I'm in the group that actually liked Little Nicky better than his previous two films. I wasn't overly impressed with Deeds though it was a hell of a lot better than The Waterboy!

The Sandler rankings:

1) Billy Madison
    2) The Wedding Singer
    3) Happy Gilmore
    4) Bulletproof
    5) Little Nicky
    6) Mr. Deeds
    7) Big Daddy
    8) The Waterboy

8. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I detested Mr. Deeds, and I consider myself more than a mild Sandler fan! My review is up in the other thread, but here's the overall gist:
    Ick. [​IMG]

9. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

10. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I could care less about the remake aspect. I see no reason to actually compare the two as if Sandler is using the concept as anything more than a vehicle.
    I love Capra, but as soon as I saw the first trailer I knew they weren't really trying to touch the original. But there are people who seem mad about that very aspect. That Ebert touched on that was one thing that had confused me. I was thinking "was anyone REALLY comparing the two films?" [​IMG]
    I think I might give it a chance anyway based on the wildly mixed responses I've seen around. I can take a risk I guess, at least it's comedy. They rarely fail on all levels. I'll just make it a matinee showing.

11. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Seth
    Now I'm dyin to hear what you think of it. I sure hope you're not in a bad mood when you see it though.[​IMG]
    BTW, A friend of mine who loves all Adam Sandler movies will probably drag me to see this. I'll try to be in a good mood.

12. Rob P S

Rob P S Cinematographer

rob
    My Sandler rankings:

1. Billy Madison ****
    2. Happy Gilmore ****
    3. Airheads ***1/2
    4. The Waterboy ***1/2
    5. Mr. Deeds ***1/2
    6. Big Daddy ***
    7. The Wedding Singer ***

I haven't seen Little Nicky, and I only saw a few minutes of Bulletproof and wasn't impressed with it.

13. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I liked Mr. Deeds. I got it on DVD. I'm not sure what it is, but I like Adam Sandler movies. I like them all. [​IMG]