*** Official MR. AND MRS. SMITH Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Kevin Grey, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

KD?

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I like Limon's work too (why oh why couldn't he have directed Bourne Surpremacy) and I like Brad Pitt in almost anything. I might try to get out and see Smith this weekend.

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    And the best action sequence is the car chase, which leaves the big finale quite limp by comparison.

3. Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger Supporting Actor

Personally....

The only thing that this film had was chemistry....

The script was absent... Seems that this film must have been the victim of constant re-writes and re-shoots....

Although this film will open to 40 mil.... I see it a fast fader!

Dugger

4. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Wow, 18.6 million in its first day of release.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing this - albeit mostly due to Vince Vaughn's appearance. Is he in much of the film? The trailers and commercials surely led me to believe so.

5. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

Hes in the first half, and totally absent on the second half. Kinda sucked. [​IMG]

You know, this movie was great until the ending...I guess they really couldnt end it without adding another hour of action to it, but still, I was kinda mad. But the movie was great overall.

6. Janna S

Janna S Second Unit

I hope the sex scenes they cut to get the rating are restored in a DVD version. The action sequences were just OK - those parts rarely holds my interest. I liked the relationship stuff, liked the chemistry, and I am sure the sex scenes that were cut would have been a good addition to the mix.

7. Jeff B.

Jeff B. Stunt Coordinator

Janna, I hope the deleted sex scenes make it to the dvd as well. [​IMG]

8. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

i was a bit thrown off with the ending too. what was implied?

that they stayed and took out both 'companies'? that they went into hiding? i suppose the important thing was that they stayed together.

9. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

10. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd

Ditto, we went to a 4pm showing, got there at 3:15 and by 4pm all of the seats were full, the audience even clapped at the end and most of the audience was middle aged to elderly. Not sure where I fit in but I enjoyed it as well.

8.5 out of 10 [​IMG]

BTW-Could her shirts be any tighter... [​IMG]

11. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I liked this film, but it could've been much better. The dialogue was pretty good between the couple, but the writing to resolve their professional situation was lacking. There's talk of a sequel and if so then I hope they improved upon what was lacking in this film. Pitt and Jolie definitely have good film chemistry together which is more than I can say about his pairing last year with Zeta-Jones.

Since, this film is drawing more discussion than normal, I think I might have to create two separate threads for reviews and discussion.

Crawdaddy

12. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

I can confirm that Keith David was the voice of Mrs. Smith's handler, but William Fichtner was the voice of the marriage counselor. I'm not sure who Mr. Smith's unseen female boss was, but I'll trust you on Angela Basett. I don't remember hearing Don Cheadle, where was he?

Brad

13. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Brad, I think Don Cheadle was the voice speaking while the helicopter is flying over the scene in the desert. I'm bad with faces, but good with voices. I'm sure it's not credited, but it sounded a lot like him.

I expected a big weekend...like $25-30M [​IMG] This is a big opening, and I think it'll taper off gradually. The audience definitely seems to skew older, and they are a word of mouth crowd. Doug Liman and his agent must be rather pleased, as his movies do that rare thing in Hollywood...OVERperform. I'd be perfectly happy with a sequel. Though I had a few nits to pick, it's nice to get a grown-up film.

And I didn't think the action was bad...I was simply more interested in the characters [​IMG]

Be interesting to see it's second weekend take, even with Batman (though I think the audiences for both are more similar than most would predict, as trackers are likely assuming BB is for teenage boys).

Take care,
    Chuck

14. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

Really enjoyed this. [​IMG][​IMG] The action scenes were great, but I loved the loss of marital bliss tension scenes post the "5 or 6 year" point.

Looking forward to an unrated/R version of this on DVD. Angelina was taking a pretty good beating from Brad in this and the love scene looked like it was severely lopped off.

I was hoping to see more of Keith David as well, since he's probably my favorite character actor. Maybe in the sequel...

15. Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger Supporting Actor

Keith David's scenes were cut from the film... Just his voice overs remain!

Dugger

16. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

17. Haggai

Haggai Producer

EricW said (no need for spoilers now that it's the official discussion thread):

None of this made very much sense. They took out everyone their companies sent after them in that store, but that surely wouldn't have exhausted the companies' resources for rubbing them out. The marriage counselor session at the end means that they went back to living in the same area where they'd been before, and doesn't really allow for the possibility of them having gone into hiding.

Now, I really enjoyed having the movie start off with that counseling session, and I liked the coda of bringing it back to show that their marriage was better than ever now ("ask us the sex question"...heh). But the way the filmmakers attempted to resolve the professional danger they were in didn't add up at all. I don't think it dragged the movie down all that much, but that aspect of it was obviously lacking.

18. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

My wife and I went to go see this opening night. We were pleasantly surprised at how good it was. We found it funny, witty and action packed. No doubt we'll be buying this DVD.

On a side note we got to the theater about an hour early. No line what so ever. Not one person. About 45 mins they let us in the theater. We grab our "perfect" seats and settle in. About 5 mins before show start the place was packed. Even after the movie started they were still coming in. At lights on after the movie I think every seat had been filled. I was hugely surprised because I just didn't think this movie would be that popular.

Now bring on WotW! WooHoo! It's a good movie summer so far.

19. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Did anyone else thing it was Angela Basset as John's 'boss' giving him the contract for The Tank? Her face popped into my head immediately.

I sort of figured that since the hit against them was for purely esthetic reasons (when the two companies realized they had competing agents married to each other, it was more convenient to have them kill each other off. But, in my minds eye, they reach a conclusion much like THX-1138 where it was simply too expensive to try and kill them. And now they work, perhaps freelance, on their own terms for one company or the other.

20. Jason Pancake

Jason Pancake Stunt Coordinator

Just watched the DVD tonight. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Anyone notice the Fight Club t-shirt worn by the hostage in the hotel room?