What's new

*** Official "MOTHMAN PROPHECIES" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
Yeah Yeah, I saw the Panic Room trailer in front of Mothman! Holy shit, thats gonna be great. David Fincher as scored again.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for Mothman Prophecies. Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
All HTF member film reviews of Mothman Prophecies should be posted to this thread.
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Let me just say flat out: "The Mothman Prophecies" contains incredibly odd events that the filmmakers don't even bother to try and explain. They're several sequences which can be taken either as incredibly funny or disturbing. Its all about perspective I guess.

But at the same time, this odd little thriller actually works. With "Arlington Road"'s director Mark Pellington at the helm, there's a certain style to this movie that lifts it from cheap thriller to something else entirely.

Certain shots are setup very nicely, and the overall visual style of the film is extremely effective. The superb score by tomandandy certainly builds atmosphere!

What's even more out of place is Richard Gere. Man, this guy is actually putting work into his role! At first he seemed like he was just walking through it, but by the end of the movie Gere has really painted the audience a very strong picture of a man in definite turmoil over the loss of his wife, and will even turn to some strange voice on the phone for help.

Now, back to the laughable sequences; taken from the commercials, they truly do border on parody. Seen in the context of the entire film though, you can see how something like a small voice on the phone which knows what you're holding in your hand (like chap stick) before you do is definitely something spooky.

Overall, I'd give this film a strong "B-". It's not exactly the greatest thriller in recent memory, but its definitely worth your attention if you go in with low expectations as I did.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I found the movie to be acceptable, but there were some real stumbling blocks on the way to a strong finish. The cinematography struck me as being overly elaborate. While this could be to enhance the atmosphere of the film, it instead seemed to be occupying the audience because there was little going on story wise. The visual style runs throughout the film, with static dissolves, lens flaring, and strange camera transitions. For some reason it didn't have the desired effect on me, but certain members of the audience were apparently creeped out.
The events depicted could only be from the actual source, because I can't imagine a scriptwriter would bring so many completely unrelated events, circumstances, experiences, and conclusions and consider themselves happy with the story. But accepting that this was the source material they had to work with, I'll give them credit for sticking with it.
The cast does an fairly good job, although I would rather have seen a little less of Gere and a little more of the supporting cast, specifically some more of the accounts themselves.
The payoff, and movies such as this and the upcoming Signs invariably have them, is well worth the journey though. Worth the matinee time that I spent with it, although I can't help but feel that it would suffer some on a second viewing. I know that my time was spent evaluating the elaborate shots and trying to categorize the hodgepodge of elements that makes up the Mothman and his Prophecies.
:star: :star: 1/2

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
As mentioned before, if you enjoy X-Files-like material, you'll somewhat enjoy this film. It's spooky in some spot, downright confusing in others (gives you the sense of what the character is feeling at the time). And yes, there are some other spots where you just scratch your head and go, "okay, I guess they had to move the plot along somehow..."

I also gave it a 2.5 star review.

By the way, have I mentioned that Laura Linney is in this film?

Bob Partovi

Stunt Coordinator
Ok so I live in West Virginia, so I watched this movie with a bit of glee. It was scary though, but I couldn't help but think that there was toxic waste in the drinking water from the chemical plant that made them all mentally ill. Anybody else think that that screeching was just some guys modem?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks