*** Official "MOTHMAN PROPHECIES" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Weinberg, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Aside from a few memorable scenes and a handful of strong supporting performances, this movie is pretty damn weak. And full of plot holes. And silly. And slow.

I don't have the energy to do my review right now, but I'm looking forward to seeing what other people think of this one. As it opens tomorrow, I suppose I won't have long to wait...

2. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

I saw an advance screening this evening and enjoyed it immensely. The audience I saw it with seemed to really get into it. I'm a sucker for legends and all things creepy so maybe that helped. Regardless, it was intriguing enough and had plenty of genuinely eerie sequences to satisfy me. Just my opinion, but this one's a winner.

3. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Could someone please explain to me what the Mothman Prophecies are? It's based on a true story right? Is Mothman a person or is it Moth MAN???

4. Kirsten

Kirsten Stunt Coordinator

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

The legend's been around a while, it's not a Blair Witch deal.

6. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Thanks for the link Kirsten.

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I can't get past the "Chapstick" scene in the previews. Sorry, but I just can't acccept lip-balm as an implement of evil. That scene feels like something from a parody movie.
    "How could he have ever guessed I'm got Chapstick in my hand. Who holds lip-balm in their hand? How could anyone know that I carry this with me, everywhere, always? He must be an evil psychic monster!" [​IMG]

8. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

[​IMG]
    The Chap-Stik scene is even funnier in the movie, since it follows this arcane exchange:
    "Yeah, well WHERE'S MY WATCH???!?!!!!"
    "...in your shoooooe....."
    [​IMG]

9. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

The book, THE MOTHMAN PROPHECIES by John Keel, was something I read in high school and was an enjoyable tale; I doubt very much that the movie will have anything to do with the book other than the title from the trailers I've seen.

10. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

So what's up with the phone calls? Is that the Mothman's way of scaring his victims?

11. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I posted a thread about the Chapstick scene, I can't think of another ad that made me laugh so hard. I wonder whose bright idea it was to include that in the 30 second T.V. ad.

12. Robin Warren

Robin Warren Second Unit

From the trailers this movie looks like its about a guy that has a phone phobia which causes him to throw his phone away from his body as hard as he can. I hope there is more to it than that, as I am probably getting dragged to see it by my wife this weekend....anyone? [​IMG]

13. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

C'mon Scott, give it a break![​IMG] (You were right about The Count of Monte Cristo, though.)
    I liked it and thought it was generally creepy (yes, even the Chapstick scene). It's an uneven film, but it worked enough for my low standards. [​IMG] (My mediocre review is here for those interested in reading it.)
    General opinions at the press screening were split. Some agreed with me while others were monumentally bored.

14. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

This was a great film! I love true stories/legends about unknown creatures and entities, and reading up on them is a huge hobby of mine. I know all of the occurences involving the Mothman back in the 1966-67 very well. The film didn't stick to a totally accurate portrayal of the events, but most true story based films change quite a few things.

Anyhow, despite the changes, I loved this film! It was very creepy, and very suspenseful. The film was also directed very well, and I loved its style. The score definitely added to the film's mood too, and the acting was good. This film was far from boring, and was very enjoyable to say the least!

For people who aren't familiar with the story of the Mothman events, I would recommend checking it out. True stuff like this is truly interesting to me!

15. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

I just saw this movie and must admit that I sort of liked it. While I did feel the beginning was very slow, the rest of the movie was quite interesting. It certainly gave me the chills in a few places. And the bridge scene was amazing!

16. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

Saw this yesterday. I really really liked it. Some really creepy moments. What I loved most was, they didnt attempt to explain what the Mothman really was, since nobody knows, they left it up to you to come to your own conclusions.
    Plus, that first car wreck was just amazing. [​IMG]

17. AaronP

AaronP Stunt Coordinator

what! Richard Gere in a lousy movie!!!!! I'm shocked! [​IMG]

18. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Count me in the camp that enjoyed The Mothman Prophecies. I haven't seen the trailer a lot of you guys are talking about (ChapStik) but it seems to mis-represent this film. I found it suitably creepy & unsettling. Director Mark Pellington suggests rather than shows, which works to the film's benefit. The performances were uniformly good, and the sound design is top-notch (and very key to creating the atmosphere).
    I would compare The Mothman Prophecies to a very good standalone episode of "The X-Files". Not a great film, by any means, but a good matinee choice for a chilly January afternoon.

19. Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson Supporting Actor

Just saw this one today, guys. It could've been better, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I arrived a little late, however, so I missed the trailers. Can anyone tell me what trailers were attached with this one?

20. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Walt, some of the trailers were: Resident Evil, The Time Machine(or whatever it's called), Panic Room, and a couple others I cannot remember. I wanted to see the Spiderman trailer again, but no luck!
    EDIT: I just remembered there was a trailer for a movie called Signs starring Mel Gibson. It's about crop circles!? It is from M. Night Shyamalan though, so it should be good.