What's new

*** Official MONSTERS VS. ALIENS Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Me too. Yeah, the movie looks like it could have potential to be fun! I hadn't heard of it until the KFP DVD, but I may have to check out MvA on the big screen when it hits...

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I saw a trailer for this in 3D yesterday in front of Bolt 3D. Looks like DW might be stepping up their game.

John Doran

Screenwriter
my son is pretty pumped for this...

i think it looks pretty good - i just hope DW manages to deliver.

the blob seems to have the potential to steal the show, like rhino did in Bolt.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Monsters vs. Aliens". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Monsters vs. Aliens" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
I saw this movie last night in 3d with my 6 year old son. I did not see anything that I wouldn't let a 2 year old watch. The movie was great in 3D and I laughed watching my son and wife occasionally dodge something that came flying out of the screen. This is the first 3D movie that I have seen in about 20 years and after such a great experience I hope to watch more shows in 3D.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Took the family to see this one Friday night. We all enjoyed it quite a bit. We stayed clear of the 3D showing, only because my oldest kid can't handle 3D movies. They give her headaches and make her queasy.

I thought this movie was very funny, I loved all of the characters. Definitely a movie I would go see again.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Just out of curiosity, your kid gets headaches from the new digital 3d? The 80's stuff did that to me, but not the new technology.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter

The last movie my daughter saw in 3D was Spy Kids and it made her so sick. When we got home that day she went straight to bed. So she pretty much stays away from 3D now. She also gets motion sickness in cars and can't ride rollercoasters.

So I guess it is the newer digital 3D that is causing her pain.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Will everyone who is 3-D enabled at home please support post 671:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...ml#post3533487

The people at Warner Archive are monitoring the thread.

NOTE: this is NOT the place to ask how field-sequential works, etc.
Don't derail the thread with questions about how 3-D works etc.
Just support the suggestion that field-sequential DVD's will be popular and if added to the Archive program that you'll buy them etc.

Thanks.

Richard

David Forbes

Supporting Actor

I'm pretty sure Spy Kids was the old red/green kind of 3D. That is NOT the type of 3D used in these movies.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter

Oh see, shows how much I know about digital 3d or 3d at all. So do you think she would be able to handle this new 3D?

David Forbes

Supporting Actor

I can't say for sure, but the newer process uses polarized lenses rather than red/green. It's a VASTLY different and much better effect.

If it started to bother her she could close one eye and watch the movie in standard 2D. But I would at least give it a shot. It's a pretty cool process, and works well for this movie.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Yes!
This "new 3-D" is easy on the eyes.
Riding on a roller coaster can be too intense a physical experience for little
children, and that's what authentic 3-D is like -- more of a physical sensation that you're in the movie. If she can't handle it, it's not because it's bad for the eyes. Watching this "new 3-D" is perfectly safe and natural.

Likewise, watching the classic 3-D films of the 1950s is perfectly safe and natural when they are properly projected and viewed through polarized glasses.

The 3-D using red / blue or red / green glasses is a fraudulent system known as Anaglyph. It producers a very poor 3-D effect that can be strenuous to the eyes because it imposes color filtering that is unnatural. DVD companies and some very few theatrical companies use it because it's cheap and simple, but it misrepresents what authentic 3-D can achieve. There's even a 3-D Barbie DVD which is a nice idea but because it requires red / blue glasses I do not recommend it for children.

Right now tens of thousands of children are watching Monsters vs Aliens 3-D and having such a great time they're squeeling with joy. Just poke your head in and listen. After a few minutes they completely forget they're wearing glasses. It's a true crowd pleaser for children and its making a fortune.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Interesting! I wish now that we had gone to see it in 3D. we went opening night and it was playing on two screens (reg vs 3D). Our theater was quite empty.

I am curious now how it looks!

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W

Some kids are more sensitive to others to the sensations induced by 3-D. But most kids love the experience and go back for more.

I'm afraid your oldest daughter got started off on the wrong foot. Spy Kids is the worst 3-D film to get started with. It's so badly shot, and the 3-D is such a fraud, that it injures the reputation of authentic 3-D.

I encourage your daughter to forget Spy Kids and give Monsters Vs Aliens 3-D a try. I know she's seen it once already, but it's a completely different film in 3-D, and besides, it's fun to compare the flat version she saw with the 3-D version. Like most kids she will probably decide the 3-D version is better. HUGELY better. Like the recent Journey to the Center of the Earth 3-D and Polar Express 3-D, it's easy and natural on the eyes. Also, the Imax documentaries in 3-D are under an hour long and perfect for kids as well.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Wow, just wow...saw this one with my wife and 9 year old daughter and her friend. We decided to splurge and do it IMAX style in 3D. Blown away. Incredible picture quality and clarity. Audio was no slouch either. Some incredible LFE moments. Sound was coming from all directions at pretty much all times. I thought the 3D was very well done on the IMAX screen. Certainly not overdone and gimmicky. It just provided that field of depth that you rarely see on a 2D screen.
If you have the means, definitely see it in 3D on an IMAX screen!

Oh yeah, almost forgot, movie was pretty good too. Some really funny moments for both kids and adults.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks