What's new

*** Official MINORITY REPORT Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
Since when does grainy cinematography, desaturated colors, and monochrome clothing equal "futuristic"? Since Spielberg decided to make A.I., I guess, but at least he had a plot to work with there. Minority Report suffers from wooden characters, occasional bursts of tremendously bad acting, HUGE story inconsistencies, uneven pacing, and a generally sloppy vision of the future that strains credibility from the first scene.

In this vision of the future, pre-cogs can forsee murders before they happen, a skill that is less than helpful when the detectives who catch the would-be killers lack the ability to call information and find an address for a suspect even when they have a name to go by or are standing outside a perp's apartment. Tom Cruise stars as the lead investigator who interprets the visions when he should be looking at the silly little marbles with the names of the killers and victims carefully engraved then shellaced upon them (is this extra step necessary when someone's life is in danger?).

Perhaps Cruise's character is onto something here as the marbles are less than reliable. They can pinpoint the name of a perpetrator without error, except when the plot dictates they should be wrong to keep the creaky narrative moving. In Cruise's case, he has been set up by a killer, but when the marble nevertheless shows his name (huh?), he's off and running through a futuristic cityscape of improbable transport vehicles and retinal scans that can pinpoint a person's identity in a flash, but apparently can't tell that something's wrong when one pupil is bigger than the other or your using an eyeball that has been left out of a freezer in a plastic bag for a few hours or even days (but fortunately lacks the ability to decay).

Along the way he meets the goofball from "O Brother Where Art Thou?" (with characterization almost completely intact), a crazy optometrist with an even nuttier nurse (with a massive mole on her lip with humongous hairs sprouting out, to remind the audience that she's little more than a bad Germanic stereotype, I suppose) who act like they're in a madcap farce instead a putatively "serious" sci-fi actioner, a charisma-proof detective played by Colin Ferrel, his cookie cutter cop pals, a pre-cog who can do little but seem beatific and exhausted, and a wacky hologram expert played by an actor who must either be just out of a mail-order acting school or is sleeping with the casting director. The haphazard shifts in tone between these mismatched characters makes me wonder in this is the same director who just a year ago coaxed some brilliant performances from his actors and so deftly handled some complicated story shifts in lasts year's far superior A.I.

Two hours in and several badly edited and thrill-free action sequences later (excepting the pre-cog in the mall sequence that works), Spielberg has twisted the plot into such a senseless mess that it becomes necessary to hang the crimes on a stock bad guy. The director then ties the plot up with a ho-hum ending that makes as little sense as the tiresome exposition that preceeded it. Should I have expected more at that point? I guess not- but as a fan of the director and with the respect I have for many of his actors' previous work, I did.

Overall ** out of *****. Don't believe the hype, save your money and go rent A.I.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
After the the intelligent and heartfelt AI, I was looking forward to Speilberg's next sci-fi entry, Minority Report. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. Speilberg tried to combine an exciting summer popcorn film with an exploration of human nature ala AI, but faltered at both. There was alot of dead space between action scenes, characters weren't fully fleshed out (like Anderton's wife, or Colin Farrell's character), and they didn't spend enough time exploring the ethics of precrime (Is it ethical to arrest someone who hasn't commited a crime yet?)
That's not to say it's totally bad. MR is darkly comic, uncharacteristic of Speilberg, and there were some truly suspensful moments (some pretty good "jump" moments.) But all in all, I was underwhelmed. I expected more from this film.
:star: :star: 1/2 out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Another big positive...the more I think about it, the more I like it. A longer review will have to wait (busy weekend), but I wanted to get some thoughts down.
Is it the best Spielberg film in decades? I didn't think so.
Is is the best made film with a 2002 release date until 21 June? You betcha.
Is it one of Spielberg's best? I certainly think so.
A dazzling film, with some great performances! Great concepts by PKDick, intelligently realized and poked by SS. I should see it again before I categorize it. My initial impression was a 9/10, but it's crept up to 9.5/10 with some post-experience thoughts.
Special nod to Samantha Morton for her incredible performance. Tom Cruise also gave a great show as well. He is certainly milking his stature for all it's worth (regarding scripts and directors), and it's paying off onscreen.
More later...
Take care,
Chuck

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I will keep it short and only point out the negative.
:star::star::star:1/2 out of :star::star::star::star:
Excellent movie so why not four stars? Because it stops just short of greatness. There are so many questions that could have been asked, that could have been pondered and that were ultimately only brushed upon. Pre-crime offers the potential for a philosophical debate of hellenistic proportions and I feel that potential was wasted.
SS is my favorite director. From Ron's review I was hoping for another A.I. This one isn't as risky, doesn't ask deeply enough, doesn't stay with you.
--
Holadem

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I must say that this is one of the best films I've seen in a long time and probably the most enjoyable sci-fi type movie I've seen since the 1980's. I give Spielberg, Cruise and the rest of the cast their due in producing a film that kept me from looking at my watch even one time during it's 140 minute run. To those that disliked the film or weren't as enamored with it as I was, the only thing I can say is to each his own. The film kept me glued to the screen and though I foreseen a couple of events, I was still entertained beyond my expectations. My film grade is :star: :star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star:
Members,
Please, stop posting discussion items about this film in this thread, if you want to discuss certain film aspects then do so in the Official Discussion thread. This thread is for movie reviews only! Any type of discussion posts will continue to be deleted without warning.
Crawdaddy

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I don't know what movie those that didn't care for it saw, but the movie I saw was utterly flawless! A big improvment for Spielberg from the overly-hyped and dull A.I.
Minority Report is the best film so far this year IMO, and in the opinions of other well known critics as well. Roger Ebert called this film a "masterpiece", and he's right. I was absolutly engrossed from the first frame to the last! The story, direction, acting, cinematography, and of course, the incredible visuals all came together and the result was amazing. I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Lois Smith yet! In her one small scene, she stole it from Tom Cruise!
I've always been baffled by those that continuously point out the flaws in the futuristic vision of this film, or ANY film for that matter. You can excuse a film about a robotic boy who goes looking for a fairy so he can become a real boy, but cry foul about a futuristic car!? :confused: It's a fantasy, and it's telling us a story. I don't understand, did you ask your mother how it was possible that the three bears were able to speak as she read to you 'Goldie Locks and the Three Bears' as a child? Or how 'The Little Engine That Could' could say "I think I can." when it was just a train? I didn't think so, so why question those things now?
As one member pointed out, we really should be greatful that we are alive during Spielberg's run as a director and as a storyteller. He can do it all, drama, sci-fi, thriller's, and even comedy (hey, I liked 1941 got a problem with it? ;)), and he can even blend combinations of those genre's together as he did here in this film. I was waiting for him to lighten up a bit on all the drama's he's been doing lately, even A.I. which was a drama in the skin of a sci-fi thriller, and he's finally delivered a truly fun film.
He's one of our great one's, right up their with Kubrick and Scorcese.
Bottom line, Minority Report is an out of this world mind trip that keeps the viewer thinking throughout, and is incredibly entertaining.
:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: out :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
RUN to see it! Everybody Runs!

Derek Faber

Stunt Coordinator
I need to see this movie again.
:star: :star: :star: 1/2/ :star: :star: :star: :star:
Could change on a second viewing.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I truly enjoyed this movie. There was so much more to the story and the characters than I was expecting from the trailers. I tried not to read too much about the movie before seeing it. IMHO, this is one of the best science fiction movies--EVER. :emoji_thumbsup: for Mr. Spielberg, Mr. Cruise, and the rest of the cast.
:star: :star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

Kami

Screenwriter
Can't say much since it has already been said. This is the best movie I have seen in 2002. Tom Cruise was great and played his character perfectly. Spielberg is the man!

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Minority Report:
a short review by Chuck C
What else is there to say that if you don't look at your watch once as was the case with me, there's a good film on the screen. That combined with several Spielbergian moments, a classic story, stunning visuals, great symbolism, and a great cast make Minority Report one for the ages.
:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
10/10 at imdb.com
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
:emoji_thumbsup:
Excellent film! I agree with all the praise (but I do understand why some would not like it) stated here. If Philip K. Dick was alive today and chose to be a film director, this movie would be the result. Every scene in the movie shouted "This is a Philip K. Dick story". The little details and ironies are his signature, and Spielberg and his cohorts captured this atmosphere perfectly!
This is easily one of the better SF films ever made.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
:emoji_thumbsup: This movie ruled. Some of the futuristic shots were some of the best looking things I've ever seen put on film. CGI never once looked fake, and that's great to see after Episode II. Spielberg's camera is always interesting. A simple camera move sometimes meant a major transition and I noticed it everytime. I'd just never seen some of the stuff I saw in Minority Report. I don't know if I can rank it in my favorites of all time, but I'll have to see it a second time to be sure. Perfectly realized concept visually.
I give it :star: :star: :star: :star:1/2 out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Steven Spielberg's Minority Report is a MAJOR accomplishment.:star::star::star::star:
I entered the theater with some trepidation, wary of all the rave reviews and wondering if Minority Report could deliver on all it's hype.
I'm happy to report that it does and then some. It's*an amazing feat of filmaking by one of the best, if not the best, filmakers alive today, Steven Spielberg.
It succeeds on so many levels. It's an exciting film noirish whodunnit. It's an intelligent, thought provoking true Science Fiction film, not watered down for the masses. It's an exciting chase film with sensational action sequences.
It's a great character study of people with tortured pasts.
But above all, it is completely entertaining from begining to end.
Tom Cruise, who I have always admired and as Seth has said, always "brings it" again delivers a great performance. He was perfectly suited for this role. Equal parts intensity, rage, compassion and confusion. One of his very best performances.
Colin Farrell gives a breakthrough performance (not counting Tigerland) and was excellent in a great supporting role. A great adversary to Cruise's character.
The rest of the supporting cast, including Max Von Sydow, Samantha Morton, Tim Blake Nelson and Peter Stormare all contributed very nicely.
The story held my interest from the dazzling first moments. It was full of twists and turns, some of which I predicted, but none of which that bothered me. Film Noir of the 21st century. This film plays like a brother to Spielberg's most recent masterpiece A.I Artficial Intelligence. It was filled with great ideas, some of which were left for the audience to ponder. As with A.I., I was mesmerized throughout, third act included.
I wouldn't say it Mr. Spielberg's best film, but it's definitely up there. I think I like A.I better. But I love this new direction he has taken with his Sci-Fi films. Especially how he uses visual effects to enhance the story and not vice-versa. The greatest compliment, as has been noted, is that I didn't even notice them. Bravo.
Currently Minority Report is second to Changing Lanes as my favorite so far this year. I will definitely see it a few more times to see if it can ascend my list.
Thank You Mr. Spielberg!:emoji_thumbsup:
Once again, Minority Report rates :star::star::star::star:

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Excellent film! Again, there's not much left to say that hasn't already been covered. Very entertaining and utterly thought-provoking. Sci-Fi sequences were amazing. Acting was superb across-the-board with Cruise giving yet another terrific performance.
The ONLY negative thing I can comment on is the graininess of the film...and the "sepia-type" moments that make the mood of the film depressing at times. I know that was Spielberg's intent (as if to make the subject of the future more "serious") yet I would have been happier with crisper images. It was so noticable that it "interuppted" the film for me. I couldn't help but think as I watched that "this DVD is gonna look grainy on my widescreen". A mild distraction though.
I will be eagerly anticipating the DVD. This is a film that is best viewed several times, as complex as it was.

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
My review is short, I'm sure I'll have more to it in the discussion thread.
I give it a :star: :star: :star: / :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
The movie opened up great, and really held me for just over the first half. Then, it really went downhill, and became a run of the mill detective story that I've already seen countless times. After hearing how great this movie was, and how much it grabbed me in the first 1/2, I was on the edge of my seat for the final chapter. I was very disappointed...
What did the film in for me was {spoilerized for those haven't seen it}

1) Wittwer gets killed, no one notices?
2) Typical bad-guy accidentally slips up while talking, giving him away.
3) Pacing of the last 45 minutes was slow.
4) Too many 'twists' that really were not twists, just muddled the story.
5) The doctor who did the eye transplant was someone Cruise had put away, and gave the impression that he was about to really do him in. Nothing happens... Stupid.
and two big ones I couldn't shake
6) Anderton's eyeballs still get him into every conceivable place where his access should have been denied, as well as the fact that they knew where he was at by his eye scan in one place, yet didn't get notified his was in all the other places in the actual pre-crime offices :rolleyes
7) I knew the director was behind everything about 30-45 minutes into the film. It was so obviously shot I thought perhaps Spielberg allowed someone else to shoot that scene...

On an visual note, the film grain issue that people have discussed didn't bother me, and had the film finished what it started, it would have been one of the best sci-fi films in years. As it is, it is just another good entry into the genre, certainly not deserving of the massive praise I've heard about it [imho, as always]

David Ely

Supporting Actor
:star: :star: :star: /:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
I'm going to keep my review short as I don't want to repeat what's already been said.
I really liked this movie, but there were two things that brought it down for me.
1) It was extremely predictable. In an interview, Spielberg said that this was intentional. I can understand what he was trying to do with it, but it definitely took away from my enjoyment of the movie.
2) I felt that the movie should have taken itself a little more seriously. There were too many warm, fuzzy, funny moments that felt out of place.
In the end, Minority Report is still the best Hollywood film currently in theaters. Given its competition, that isn't saying much.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
:star: :star: :star: :star: / :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
The directing was almost uniformly fantastic. Directing-wise, Spielberg was at the top of his game here, clearly enjoying the set pieces that make up the film's few action sequences and injecting quite a bit of (often dark) humor into the proceedings.
Cruise did a fine job, especially since he quelled his Cruise-isms and really sunk into the weaknesses of his character. I kept thinking Max Von Sydow was really Christopher Plummer (and despite Von Sydow's excellence, I think Plummer would have been a better choice, more believable).
Minority Report is a whodunit. It's a mystery story in the context of the near future. There are sci-fi elements in the background that definitely lend social commentary (some of the advertising eye-scan methods are chillingly prophetic) but the attention is focused on the murder mystery story.
Pros: Humor used liberally throughout, clever subtle physical humor.. (loved the singing cereal box).
The dialogue is smart and witty; reminded me of LA Confidential in more ways than one.
Minor characters are given time to shine and aren't simply background noise.
The special effects are not overused, but utterly remarkable and photo-realistic (for the most part).
The spider/tenament sequence... whoah.
The burgers getting cooked by the jetpack. :emoji_thumbsup:
Cons: Very predictable story. It is clear who the villian is very early on. I kept expecting Von Sydow to say "hush hush" once he killed a major character.
The eyeball problem (I noticed it the second he got access to pre-crime a good 36 hours after being indicted).
The creepy quacking doctor and his threats to Anderton which are never elaborated on... creates a false threat.
I never got used to the the shaky cam during the auto-plant chase. I didn't see the point of it and it made me nauseous (this coming from someone who didn't get sick during Blair Witch).
The 'talking killer,' "this is how you planned the murder, isn't it?" sequences with Cruise and the revealed Villain felt like the unmasking at the end of a scooby doo episode. The resolution of the murder mystery felt almost TV-movie-ish in tone.
An enjoyable film, though. A lot of fun throughout, with enough thought provoking material to warrant a second viewing.
Joseph

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
:star: :star: 1/2 (out of 4)
Not bad, but nothing stimulating or original. Bit too predictable. We're spood-fed too much -- wish they'd played more with the future paradox & had more of an ambiguous ending that we could chew on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks