What's new

*** Official "MINORITY REPORT" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Eric Sevigny

Stunt Coordinator
Except minority reports, as seen in the film, do not prove majority reports wrong, they prove the *system* wrong. i.e. they aren't a better vision of the future, simply a different one. So I guess it proves how futile all reviews are :)
Funny quote nonetheless, I give the man an 'A+' for the effort, 'D' for his understanding of the movie :)

Brennan Hill

Stunt Coordinator
Okay here's one for you, how does Burgess know that Anderton will find the imposter with the pictures of his kid? I guess he could have planned to tip him off, but Agnes beat him to it?

Derek Williams

Stunt Coordinator
The only thing that seemed strange to me is that their computers were not networked. They were using "sneaker net" to transfer files.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Re: the question of finding Crow...

The irony of Pre-Crime is that Anderton didn't have to actually find Crow, as long as the pre-cogs "predicted" that he would find Crow.

A) If Anderton used the information in the data to locate Crow and fell into the trap set by Burgess regarding the faked evidence linking Crow to the disappearance of his son, then Burgess wins.

B) If the Pre-Crime unit captured Anderton prior to his predicted act of murder and incarcerated him, Burgess wins regardless of whether Crow is found or not.

It was only when Anderton changed his destiny by rejecting the vision of the pre-cogs that he and the audience ventured into undiscovered territory. ( One of the best, and most suspenseful moments of the film, for me. )

- Walter.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Loved the film! Might have gone on 10-15 minutes longer than need be, but it didn't detract from how well done the rest of the movie is. One question I have though, when Anderton asked Crow what he did with his son, Crow repeated the answer about three times. I must be deaf because I couldn't understand what the hell he was saying. :b So what was it? The most disturbing aspect for me in the film wasn't seeing the extracted eyeballs or Cruise consuming the spoiled food. Nope, it was when he unexpectedly got kissed by Lois Smith! :laugh:

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Michael, I didn't quite understand what Crow said either, and I've seen the film twice. Ultimately, though, it doesn't matter since Crow didn't kill Anderton's son. He was hired to act as if he had.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I believe he said something to the effect of he bought him a pretzel, then stuffed him into a drum and sank him in the ocean, but the drum floated back up.
Then he said he was gentle, very gentle in killing him I suppose.

Was the fate of his son actually ever revealed? When Agatha was explaining about his son, I got a bit distracted as to what she was saying due to a crying baby.

Do we know what happened?

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Regarding Anderton's eyes still working:
I think there is an easier and more plausible answer than any that have been given here:
They are trying to track JA down, and the primary tool for that are his eyes. As he passes through any area that has optical recognition, it tracks him down. But they do this passively, without warning him (It does them no good for the billboards to start a siren). So they intentionally allow him full access and track each place he goes. It is to their advantage for him to return to work, as long as they are announced of his entrance.
Now, I know Wittwer determined that he returns just as he is returning. I would bet that if they had been in the control room monitoring his progress, they would have know he had returned.
Going to go see it again. The presentation I saw on Friday left much to be desired (very quiet, child next to me, cell phone goes off twice :angry: ), so I'll have to see if this holds up.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Do the retinas need some form of blood flow for the retinal scanning devices to work? Or is it all based on whatever vessel patterns on the backside of the eyeball?

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
The more I think about the possibility of everything after John's haloing being a dream sequence, the more likely it seems. After all, the explanation that Burgess was allowing John access to the PreCrime building so he could steal Agatha only holds up until John is captured. Burgess would have no reason to let his access continue after that, allowing his wife to bust John free. Everything that happens after John is haloed is nearly...cliche. The slip of the tongue by the archvillain, the somewhat unoriginal parts of the story that seem to have come from a million noirs, the easy resolution and perfect new life for John. Almost as if he were dreaming what he'd like to happen. I'll have to keep this in mind when I see it again.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
interesting take, Tom...anybody else think the same? I'll definitely be looking for this the next time around. What do you mean by haloing?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Regarding the Retinal Scan, I believe it
is similar to a fingerprint, reading and identifying all the intricate pathways of the blood vessels in the eye. Blood flow has nothing to do with it, hence them being used detached without bloodflow is irrelevant.

BTW, I don't buy into the "Dream" scenario. Too easy.

Eric Sevigny

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe he was under a drug trip all that time, god knows how many of those "new clarity" shots he injested :D Maybe that's also why everything had that shiny, overly bright look to it!

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Tom, that's an interesting interpretation. Earlier in this thread, I asked, "Was it just me or did Tom Cruise have hair in the pre-cogs' vision near the end?" Nobody has answered this question, but if it's true, it could be further evidence to your take.

~T

RichardK

Second Unit
yep, im pretty sure i saw hair...but no, not ANOTHER dream movie... story is twisted enough to throw that in, right?
:)

Doug R

Supporting Actor
I'm starting to agree with the dream theorists. Having seen it twice, everything after John gets haloed is so cliche and "perfect" that I think that's the conclusion we're supposed to draw.

Maybe I'm giving Spielberg more credit than he deserves.

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
Maybe I'm giving Spielberg more credit than he deserves.
I sure think so. I posted my 'review' in the review thread, suffice to say I do not hold this movie in as high regard as others here. Spielberg sure knows how to start a movie, but he sure needs help finishing them, IMO.

Doug R

Supporting Actor
Possibly Paul, but if we are supposed to take the last few minutes (everything after John is haloed and told by the containment organ guy "Your dreams will come true [while haloed]") as in his mind, then the complete cliche, schmaltz of the end makes sense in context of his dream.

Derrick_Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
Did anyone notice Tom's eyeball getting scratched while getting his 'lids' opened for the replacement? Ouch. The movie did go on a little too long but I still enjoyed it. I didn't enjoy the 20 minutes of previews. (At least they were previews I had not seen before.) I think the previews made the movie seem longer than it was. (I saw it at the AMC 30 theaters in Barrington, IL)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks