What's new

***Official MERGED "Should I get 6.1 (or 7.1) - Is it worth it?" Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Trevor_J

Second Unit
Yes, that's right. I'm interested in how it sounds compared to L7 and other proprietary 7.1 formats.

Given my situation, is it wise to get a back surround speaker at all? My HT is in a small space (13.5' x 13.5') and my listening position is up against the back wall. Even at that, I'm only 11' from the front speakers. Because of the very weird way this room is designed (it's hard to describe, but half the back wall slants back and opens into the front entryway), I will only be able to place a single back surround speaker in this room and it will have to be positioned right above the listenting position (i.e., on a parallel line with the side surround speakers). Right now, my speakers are as follows: Polk RTi150s (F/L fronts), Polk CSi40 (center), Polk RTi38 side surrounds, and VFT-2 subwoofer. This is being driven by a Marantz SR7300 6.1 receiver, so I will not need to upgrade the receiver to add the back speaker. The real question is whether this set-up will allow me to get anything benificial out of a back surround speaker.

chris rick

Second Unit
No thread fart here, but what's the point of 7.1? Don't some of you think it gets a bit gimmicky after 6.1? I've tried EX and es and I can say that I honestly prefer regular 5.1DD and dts--adding an extra channel is just a waste for many films.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The only real use for 7.1 is in the cinema. SDDS 8 channel could better be termed 7.1, since it uses 5 channels up front (L,LC,C,RC,R), left and right surrounds and and LFE channel. Until home theatres get to sizes where they can seat more than 100 people, such a system is pointless.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Don't some of you think it gets a bit gimmicky after 6.1?
I think gimmicky is more a characteristic of the sound mix than the speaker configuration. I don't have a 6.1 setup, but I've felt that even a 5.1 mix has been used a gimmick in certain spots (a couple of scenes in Antz and U-571 come to mind). Fortunately, the vast majority soundtracks use 5.1 to better engage you into the onscreen action as opposed to draw your attention to the speakers placed thoughout the room.

Still, many times I feel when watching a movie in a large auditorium that there could be a real benefit to aditional surround channels. While I, know that theaters have to accomodate for many listening positions, should a surround effect that is meant to be more discrete than ambient come out of an entire long wall of speakers?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
? I've tried EX and es and I can say that I honestly prefer regular 5.1DD and dts--adding an extra channel is just a waste for many films.
Many films are not mixed for 6.1 anyway so many of the times people force their reciever into 6.1 and let the reciever do the DSP. I'm more of a purist so if its mixed in 5.1 I listen to it in 5.1. I guess some folks are feeling that if they purchased 7 speakers they want all 7 to be used all the time.

As far as L7 goes, I haven't heard it so I can't comment on how much of a waste it is. Having heard all the hype I wonder if I will.

Now if a mix is truly 6.1(either DTSES discrete/matrix or DD EX) I do like it. When mixed properly which all 6.1 mixes seem, I do enjoy it. The 7.1(non l7 variety) is more for folks with large rooms.

Paul Sawyer

Auditioning
I put in 7 speakers(Polk RC65i) and have an Elite VSX-45TX. Speakers are inwalls(have young children and wired in the basement build process).

I can clearly hear a difference with us of the back speakers in some of the new format movies.

I think the sound is incredible. I can change the setting to 5.1 or "7.1".

As for a space issue, I have a 64" elite TV that the view area is 18' away, and the rear speakers are about 6' beyond the #4 and #5 speaker. I still believe you'd hear the difference even if the rear speakers are more shallow in regards to location behind the sides. You should be able to set it up to enhance it anyhow.

I just listened to chicken run for the first time on it. When the oven flames kick on you truly hear the flames go around the room. Not that 5.1 isn;t a nice set-up, but the extra enhancement of the rear channel is worth the effort.

JohnEF

Stunt Coordinator
I have decided to make the plunge to 6.1-I was in the process of upgrading to a separate amp (5 channel times 200 watts per channel) and use my receiver as a pre-amp but I was able to pick up a pair of speakers identical to my surrounds (Pinnacle Classic Gold mini-monitors) at a bargain price (they are discontinued) and my whole system is a match (classic gold towers for the fronts and classic gold center-all Pinnacles). The result was that I got the Outlaw 770 instead of the 755 and of course I purchased the 950. I did save some money on the combo discount ($200) plus another discount for the B-versions (also $200).

Of course I went from $1300 to $2200 but I planned to eventually get the 950 anyway (which would have cost me $700) so for another $200 I got 7 channels. Such is the disease of upgraditis.

I plan to listen carefully to several DVD's with my 5.1 system and then immediately listen again with the 6.1 system and the extra power (80 watts per channel times 5 to 200 watts times 7). I will post my reaction. Of course if I hear no real difference I have 30 days to return the whole package.

John

JohnEF

Stunt Coordinator
In followup to my last post my 770/950 combo has arrived and I have been spending part of Friday putting everything together. I just started to tweak the system and have been playing around with different modes for both CD's and DVD's. The difference over my old setup (Yamaha receiver-80 watts times 5) and new 7.1 system is clearly noticeable. I played two classical CD's and they have never sounded better, I tried DD-EX with Starwars 1 (Phantom Menace) and it never sounded better.

I did run into one problem-a hum but I was able to isolate it (the manual's first suggestion) in the cable TV system. A call to Outlaw support resulted in 2 suggestions-get a ground loop isolator and call the cable company.

I called the cable company and they admitted that their installation may have been faulty and they are checking into it. They may have to send in a tech to check the outside wiring where the fault seems to lay. In the meantime I can live with the problem (either I disconnect cable when playing a movie or CD) and I did notice when sound is coming through the system (instead of silence) the hum disappears.

All in all, I am pretty happy with the result and 7.1 is a noticeable improvement over 5.1 and I haven't played any DVD's that utilize in the source material rear center channels (the Outlaw 950 Cirrus chip set has a made that utilizes the back rear channel to simulate 7.1). There is a mode called 7 Stero that spreads out stereo CD's over 7 channels and it sounds good to my ears.

As I further tweak the system I will post again.

John

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I actually just disengaged my rear speakers,I found after careful evaluation that my side surrounds image so well,that they can create the illusion of any phantom height, and back surround info.Less speakers amps and wires for me same good sound.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I've had that rear phantom imaging in some rooms too, Lewis, but unfortunately not in the current one.
Now you can add more amp to the sub.:)
DJ

GregBe

Second Unit
I did the same thing Lewis. It was a very tough decision to move the rear speakers to the garage. I really wanted to like the extra channels better, but in my less than perfect situation, 5.1 sounded better.
I am curious, do you use dipole, bipole or direct radiating for your side surrounds

Greg

David Proud

Stunt Coordinator
2 side surrounds create the best rear imaging and widest soundstage possible if located 110 to 120degrees off center.

Center channels collapse the sound stage in the rear. however to get the best possible rear imaging and seperation you have to have your sides back 110 to 120 degrees on the side walls. What this does is leave a hole directly to your side.

We really need a true 7.1 channel format so that the sound engineers can pan sounds to the two rear speakers and the two side speakers. Right now all we have is dsp to do it. Ie logic7, DPIIx, etc.

I have setup my new theater with 7.1 for 2 reasons.

#1 I wanted to fill the hole to the side without sacraficing deep depth in the rear soundstage area.
#2 I wanted to have 2 rows of seating and wanted to provide my rear row more realistic fly over effects, etc as the side surrounds will be slightly in front of the rear row.

Now if you can live with 5 speakers that is great. you can place your 2 sides back 110degrees off center and enjoy a compromise between rear depth and side surround action.

Your rear depth image will be larger than in a 7.1 setup but your side surround imaging will be sacraficed.

Matthew Will

Stunt Coordinator
I'm just wondering, is there a point where we won't be able to tell the difference between how many speakers are being used in a system. I know essentially you're not supposed to be able to tell how many speakers are being used but how many does that really take? I guess it is sort of like how a cheaper subwoofer in a well built box will sound better than a quality subwoofer in a poorly designed box. Does a well tuned 5.1 sound better than a 7.1 system that was just hooked up and turned on? Eventually I would love to say I have a 7.2 surround sound system with all the gadgets and forms of surround sound. Should I just focus on a quality 5.1 for now? Matt

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Does a well tuned 5.1 sound better than a 7.1 system that was just hooked up and turned on?
Well tuned 5.1 sounds definately a lot better than out-of-tune 7.1. I found the extra two rears added very little to the system and because of space issues I'm back to using only 5.1.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

Word has it that George Lucas is shooting for 9.2 to be the new standard. If it gets any bigger than that a home theater will have to be just that: an entire home! But I think it may happen. My roommate is a music major and he has some high end recording software that already offers him the option to record in 9.2 surround. I think 7.1 could make a vasst improvement compared to 5.1 when movies are mastered in 7.1 discrete. I can't really see how going past 7.1 (or maybe 7.2) could really be very beneficial though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks