*** Official MELINDA AND MELINDA Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Thi Them, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I'm looking forward to it. Some reviews are calling it Allen's best in years.

I've been surprised to see no signs of it being released in LA this Friday. Anyone from NY know if it's opening there?

~T

2. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    I'm intrigued, in the trailer, Farrell shows how damn good he is by making Woody Allen male-lead dialogue work without being delivered by Allen. :p (that's a tongue in cheek comment I've not seen enough Woody Allen films where he's not the lead to really judge them).

3. Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack Second Unit

Yeah - I still don't know why Kenneth Branagh just did a Woody Allen impression for his role in Celebrity.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I've seen all of them (I think), and one of the things that makes Melinda so good is that Allen has finally found someone who can credibly play "the Woody Allen part". Usually I can't stand Will Farrell, but he was born to play this role. Most of his lines are recognizably Allen's style, but Farrell makes them seem effortless and natural, which is essential to making them funny. His dating banter with a woman who works on Wall Street is hilarious (it's only one of many examples).

M.

5. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    Allen did have to somewhat tailor the role to Farrell, because there were some lines/deliveries he couldn't nail, but overall, Allen seems very pleased. Here's an interview with Allen:

http://chud.com/interviews/1966

This opens in LA on Wednesday, I hope to get a chance to see this soon.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Thanks for the link!

His comments on Radha Mitchell were also interesting. Who would have guessed that her little role in Phone Booth would catch another director's eye? Allen says that he looked at some "independent film footage" when he was considering her. I wonder if it was High Art.

M.

7. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Melinda and Melinda" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Melinda and Melinda" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy