*** Official LUCKY NUMBER SLEVIN Review Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Patrick Sun, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Were this film trimmed up a bit, it could have been a much better film, but as-is, it take a little too long to get started, and by the time the conclusion arrives, it doesn't quite have the impact it should have had for a tale of interweaving distractions and misdirections, with plenty of people dying in the process.

I will say how pleasantly surprised at how likable Lucy Liu could be for her character in the film, and she had good chemistry with Josh Hartnett. I'd feared she'd typecast herself playing the saucy dominatrix take-no-prisoners roles of past 5 years. Bruce Willis turns in another cool but enigmatic performance, while Morgan Freeman and Ben Kingsley get to play menacing characters.

Oh, this film does feature some of the wackiest wallpaper I've seen in a film in quite a long time.

Overall, it's a decent matinee film if you have a few hours to spare.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Lucky Number Slevin". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I saw this film last week and I guess I like it more than you because I enjoyed every minute of it. I thought the dialogue and film chemistry between Josh Hartnett and Lucy Lui was very good while Willis's role was one of his best in years. As usual Freeman and Kingsley were excellent. This is going to be a cult favorite for many because it flew under the radar without any fanfare from its studio. People will discover it, when the dvd comes out later this summer.

Crawdaddy

4. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Saw it...enjoyed it. Although, the first 15 minutes had me questioning whether I would like it. But, once things started to get into place. It was much more enjoyable.

And I agree..Lucy Lui had good chemistry with Harnett. Plus, she is hot. [​IMG]

5. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Been wanting to see this since the HD DVD came out....missed it in theaters. Superb cast: Bruce Willis, Josh Hartnett, Morgan Freeman, Sir Ben Kingsley, & Lucy Liu.

I really enjoyed Lucky # Slevin. I agree that the first 15-20 minutes I was feeling a bit cold to it, but then it really starting coming together. It's a rather clever film that is interesting and well acted. Good story and well edited. A bit on the violent side...but it works here. The score is effective too.

Kind of surprised me that I liked it so much but it's up there with some of the better films for 2006. Top notch thriller.

A solid 9/10. [​IMG]