What's new

***Official LOTR: The Two Towers DVD Discussion Thread*** -- All Posts Here; NO EXCEPTIONS (1 Viewer)

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the sigh. I love some extra condescension with my morning snack and the workload.

I think the standard 2 release schedule, it will PROBABLY happen, I'm just saying that the run time for this one IS a half hour longer, and word out of New Line was that Jackson WAS allowed to go up to 4 hours. That he decided on 3 1/2 probably says something. I'm not saying the opposite.

But why ALSO assume that New Line wouldn't just turn the "Theatrical" release INTO the 4 disc SE that we got with the other extended editions? If (and this is the IF I'm putting forward that has you playing Charlie Brown and sighing all over the place) Jackson actually IS getting the extended version up on the screen this time out because of the extraordinary success the first two movies have been for New Line, then we have a situation where it looks like fans are asking for two releases just for the sake of getting two releases. That's what I'm commenting on.

Which is kinda funny looking considering how much most of us act like double dipping is similar to chinese water torture ;)

Sorry if it was misunderstood.

ChrisKe

Stunt Coordinator
If ... Jackson actually IS getting the extended version up on the screen this time out because of the extraordinary success the first two movies have been for New Line, then we have a situation where it looks like fans are asking for two releases just for the sake of getting two releases. That's what I'm commenting on.
Could it be that the ROTK EE will have 4 or maybe 4.5 hours on the DVD?

I would have no problem with this!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Just my 2 cents - with the extended edition of TTT pushing close to 3hrs & 42 - a 4 hr ROTK is not out of the question.

It wouldn't be surprising though if the EE of ROTK has less new material than the other two.

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
There will be a theatrical and an extended edition DVD for ROTK. So don't worry about it.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
okay, I'm not WORRIED about it--I just want to hear the reasoning behind people making all these concrete statements when I haven't seen or heard press release or statement by either New Line or Peter Jackson one way or the other. I'm pretty sure there'll be two releases, myself--but I'm not gonna presume to know what they think on this one without reading their words. I can guess their intentions, but unless you guys have some information that the rest of the world doesn't, you guys are just ASSUMING, right?

Is there something I'm missing?

Lars_J

Stunt Coordinator
Of course we are assuming... Just as we are assuming that ROTK will be released on DVD at all!

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
Probably been asked before, but has anyone officially confirmed the 3.5 hour runtime of ROTK? I am very skeptical of that. They can't even be done editing yet. I swear I remember someone official saying it wouldn't be any more than 3hr 10min, but that was a while ago.

On the commentaries for FOTR, they always give good reasons about why certain scenes were cut out, and I actually agree with them for most of them. The one scene that I think was a HUGE mistake to cut was the Lothlorien gift giving scene. The rest, while usually very nice scenes in their own right, don't add a whole lot to the film. The EE would have felt overlong to most people, IMHO, had it been what was seen in theaters.

If PJ makes ROTK 3.5 hours, it better not sacrifice pacing to do so, or the audience will be unhappy.

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
Yes, StevenA, as long as we had Tolkien's literate genius. On the other hand he is not listed in Harold Bloom's "Genius" as one of the 100 great literary geniuses of all time. I'm going to email him about that omission.
Good luck getting Tolkien included, it is my sincere belief that Tolkien is purposely excluded from the academic canon of "literature" recognized by the English professors of the world. for a rather convincing article on the subject, along with quotes from Tolkien and Tom Shippey, the Oxford Chair of Anglo-Saxon (the position Tolkien held) follow this link:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/carson/carson10.html

We could go on and on about the fact taht his extremely deep, "literate" work is not included in any English curriculum, but this editorial makes a compelling argument.

Kami

Screenwriter
Did a little comparison last night, and the results are a little disappointing. Both were captured on the exact same frame.

I thought I noticed something when I first popped in my R1 disc.

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit
Kami,

thats the strong horizontal filtering that i have been talking about in one of the earlier pages in this thread: here.

All NTSC LOTR DVD until now use this heavy filter: FOTR theatrical, FOTR EE, Two Towers theatrical. And i am sure the Two Towers EE will as well.

Neither the NTSC screener, nor any of the 3 corresponding PAL versions have this 'issue'.

The difference is the biggest between the PAL and NTSC Two Towers. While the difference in vertical detail between the 2 is understandable, due to the higher vertical resolution of PAL (576 vs 480), the fact that the PAL has a lot more HORITONTAL detail (the same amount that is visible in your shot) at the same time, has no technical reason behind it, except bad choice in pre-filtering/compression.

The PAL has outstanding format-defining detail, while the NTSC is just unnecessary blurry.

Very dissapointing, as i said.

Regards
Bjoern

Kami

Screenwriter
I was hoping you'd reply Bjoern. In fact I checked your site before posting ;) I missed your earlier stuff on this.

I took other comparison shots too, and noticed a few cases of nasty EE (well, more like erratic noise around some edges) and blocking. The difference is even noticable on my 50" Toshiba when in motion in some shots :frowning:

Gregory E

Second Unit
Just wanted to say that I got my "replacement" copy from WEA manufacturing today. This copy does not have the Chapter 51 problem that I had on my Sony before.

McLean Byron

Auditioning
Hmm... reviews for the FOTR EE DVD began last year in mid-October, soon after an all-day press event, if I remember correctly. Given the two-week later release date this year, perhaps we'll be seeing reviews (and more importantly for this geek, detailed descriptions of the additional footage) within a few weeks...

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
From the BITS

You might think you know how much work was involved in creating the first digital character to give a realistic dramatic performance on film, but it was even tougher than you can imagine.
Now did Bill really have to go and say that? :)

Really enjoyed the sneak peek otherwise, and can't wait to own the EE of TTT.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks