What's new

Official Lion OS X Discussion and Troubleshooting Thread (1 Viewer)

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I guess I still disagree since most Anti-Virus detects malware and signatures update daily in most cases so it would probably stop it if you ran across it. However, you are the security expert when it comes to Macs so I defer to you.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm not an expert, I just know what does and does not make sense to me. Keep your tools patched and they will close zero day exploits. You can waste your time adding a virus checker (that consumes system resources and slows you down) on top of that but the likelihood of them catching zero days faster than your tools themselves is pretty low. Don't go to shady sites, don't pirate. Don't run Flash or Silverlight. Boom, safe as you can be against all but the most ingenious of Zero Days.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
If Apple actually plugged holes the day they came out I would agree with you. Apple averages 56 days to plug holes last time I looked it up. I don't care if you are running anti-virus or not. Just letting people know there are some new malware out there in the last few weeks.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This week, Mac security software maker Intego said it discovered a new, albeit low risk, Trojan that pretends to be an Adobe Flash player installer. According to Intego, users visiting certain malicious websites may see a link or an icon to download and install Flash Player. .
Fortunately, the problems are still substantially of the "user must install hostile software" type. I'm not seeing the buffer overflow exploits of Windows IE5 and Outlook (circa 2000?) where simply receiving email or visiting a website could cause your computer to be infected.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Maybe, since Lion virtualization is now officially supported, money would be better spent on extra memory and VM software rather than AV software. All of a user's web browsing and email could be done in a Lion virtual machine.

-Keith

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I apologize if this has been mentioned already, but apparently every time Lion is updated, it shows as needing an update in the App Store. If you update it, it downloads the entire 3.75GB file again. This is separate from the update status of the Mac in question. In other words, even if the Mac is fully up to date, it still sees the original download as out of date and wants to download it again.

Does anyone know if you can tell the App Store to ignore updates on a particular program. If I have to reinstall Lion I would prefer just to install the base version and run software update after installing to bring it up to date. At the same time, I rather not have the App Store continually telling me that an application is out of date.

Not a big deal, but I do find it a bit annoying.

-Keith

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
WRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Apparently when I went to the real release of Lion Apple decided that MY OCTA CORE MAC PRO is not strong enough to Air Drop. ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3205303?start=0&tstart=0

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
No Air Drop here either.

Monochrome icons? Terrible decision.

Had to upgrade MS Office.

Otherwise, Lion seems dandy.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Over two months later and finally Apple has acknowledged the issue and sent out a fix. Issue: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088 Fix: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1469 For those of you who had this issue (mostly a small batch of 2010 Macbook Pro) check your Software Update and/or download directly from this link to fix it (I used Software update which was a smaller package 52MB than the standalone installer, I was running 10.7.2).
Carlo Medina said:
Just as a warning for those of us who own 2010 MBPs, 10.7.1 doesn't fix the Black Screen of Death problem for those of us who are affected (seems to be related to the nVidia driver and/or the dynamic graphics switching function). I'm hopeful 10.7.2 will address it. The only workaround that seems to work (there's a thread on Apple Support filled with other recommendations, but this one seems to work for most) is to use gfxcardstatus and to lock your MBP to the Integrated Graphics option. Yes this essentially changes it to a Macbook, but I can't put a price tag on stability and I don't want to bother rolling back to Snow Leopard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks