*** Official "LILO AND STITCH" Review Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scooter, Jun 21, 2002.

1. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    ...and I enjoyed it. Not knock me on my ass like Aladin but moved nicely along!

Twice a year I can get my sons to kiss my ass...Father's Day and my Birthday...and I make'em watch Disney with me!!!! So this was my belated Dad's Day gift!!! Subtle humor sprinkled throughout the flick...as well as a coupla winks and nods to other flicks/genres. Take the kids...take the spouse/sig. other and enjoy Hawaii via Stellar Cruiser!

Coupla high points:
    The film's score...beautiful in spots.
    The animator of the older sister...her expression at one specific point in the fil ripped my heart!

Enjoy!

2. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

I especially liked the song when they went surfing. I took both my kids and all four of us really enjoyed it a great deal. The animation was beautiful, the music was really good.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Lilo and Stitch". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.
    Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!
    If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.
    Crawdaddy

4. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Cool. I get to be the first detractor. [​IMG] Man, this movie annoyed me. Glad you guys enjoyed it, but this one is NOT a Disney flick I'll be revisiting anytime soon!
    Lilo & Stitch [​IMG][​IMG] (out of 5)
    I don’t know precisely when the wheels fell off of the unstoppable Disney machine, but it’s clear that this widely accepted King of Animation is now feeling the pressure from its newfound competition. There's certainly enough room at the multiplexes for CGI and 'traditional' animation to co-exist profitably. It's lackluster efforts like Lilo & Stitch that may doom old-style animation to an unnecessary extinction.
    There was a time (not very long ago) when each new Disney feature was met with bated breath; compare Disney’s three most recent efforts (The Emperor’s New Groove, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, and now Lilo & Stitch) with their early 90’s trio Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King (also released consecutively) and it may seem evident that Disney’s screenwriters have simply run out of ideas and are having a lot of trouble keeping up with the Joneses each year.
    Basically, Lilo & Stitch is a direct-to-video quality feature that (much like this year’s Peter Pan sequel, Return to Never Land) somehow earned itself a big marketing push and a plum theatrical release. While even 'bad' Disney is better than most of what passes for modern ‘traditional’ animation, I can’t see any reason to shell out eight bucks for a piece of entertainment that would barely be worthy of a rental fee.
    Seemingly culled together from the most memorable sections of Monsters Inc., E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial, and Gremlins, Lilo & Stitch offers the threadbare tale of a mischievous young girl and her new pet alien. Lilo lives in a quaint (seemingly 1965) Hawaiian village with her older sister Nani, both typically Disney-esque orphans. Stitch is a genetic experiment gone awry, one that escapes from an interstellar court martial and crash lands in Lilo’s island. Somehow mistaken as a dog, Stitch works his way into Lilo’s heart, since they’re both misunderstood outsiders and all that hoo-hah.
    Also involved in the colorful yet still uninvolving tale is a pair of accident-prone bounty hunter aliens, a mysterious Family Services agent who repeatedly promises to plop Lilo into a foster home, and Nani’s surfboarding boyfriend David. The titular characters logically get the bulk of the attention, yet neither approach the 'lovability' of previous Disney creations. Lilo comes off as a mildly disturbed young girl, while the manic little alien creature is nothing more than a retching, grumbling collection of snot gags and pratfalls.
    The voice cast is filled with interesting actors like Jason Scott Lee, Kevin McDonald, Ving Rhames, and Tia Carrere; unfortunately, every bit of dialogue is painfully familiar, and the comedy bits are a mixed bag at best. Things get predictably swampy towards the end, as the patented Disney Platitudes are marched out for Lilo and her feral friend to embrace an oft-repeated mantra about family always sticking together in that syrupy sweet way that you just KNOW is teaching your children everything they’ll ever need to know about morality for the rest of their lives. Ahem.
    It's fairly evident that the powers-that-be governing the Disney empire have recently adopted an 'anything for a buck' attitude. With its non-stop outpouring of shoddy direct-to-video sequels (which essentially slap the original classics square in the face) and the less-than-inspired quality of their most recent theatrical releases, Disney Animation is far from the "beacon of quality" it once was. It's simply not enough to have a steady stream of product for the marketplace.
    Sure, your kids will probably love Lilo & Stitch. To be completely honest, it’s not difficult to write something that will make a 5-year-old laugh out loud. I understand that not every animated film from Disney will become a classic, but after sitting through the phenomenal Beauty and the Beast and fantastic Tarzan (and many others from yesteryear too numerous to mention), forgive me if I’ve come to expect more from this studio than some 79-minute glorified after-school “cartoon”.
    In today’s world of truly staggering animation technology, a movie has to be a heck of a lot more than just “colorfully realized” to be worthy of your family’s 30 bucks. Treat Lilo & Stitch as I’m certain it was originally intended – wait for the video.

5. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

Scott,
    In regards to your review: I respectfully disagree.
    I think you're setting your expectations a bit off, to say the least. I LIKE the simpler animation style of this movie (as compared to Atlantis: The Lost Empire), because that's half the charm of this movie! [​IMG] Lilo & Stitch works because it's more a character-driven movie, something more like you see from Pixar releases. The interaction between Lilo, Stitch and Nani is very effective, to say the least.
    Anyway, even with the simplier animation style, the best part of the movie is the very effective use of watercolor-painted backgrounds, which suits the style of this movie perfectly. [​IMG]
    What's interesting is that one of the best parts of the movie--
    --is the ending of the movie after Stitch becames a permanent part of Lilo and Nani's family. The way he does anything is just downright cute, and the final montage of photographs is just downright wonderful to see.
    In short, I'm going to see this movie more than once. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I give this movie [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] 1/2 out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]. [​IMG]

6. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I admit, this is the first disney animated film that I downright loved at first viewing in several years (not counting Pixar efforts) I found it enjoyable, and so did the kids.
    The movie was cute, had good pacing, and the right plays to the parents.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I utterly loved this film. The interaction between Stitch & Lilo is superb, and Stitch is a superb character.
    Best (non-Pixar) Disney film in a longtime for me. I'm off to find a Stitch toy for my workdesk. [​IMG]

8. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

I've never really been a Disney aficionado(or a fan of family fare for that matter) but this is one terrific little movie. Before I even saw it, I drawn to the Stitch character because he's just so crazy looking. Fortunately, the movie lives up to his off-the-wall visage with a good story and wildly amusing sequences depicting Stitch's spastic antics. This guy is just plain whacked and I loved it. Of course, what would a Disney animated feature be without tugging on the heartstrings a bit? It does so, of course, but(thankfully) not so overbearing as to become syrupy or pandering. This one's a keeper and as good as anything I've seen this year.

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

10. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] out of 5

11. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    One of the Best from Disney in nearly a decade....

12. Geoffrey_A

Geoffrey_A Second Unit

Lilo and Stitch, a movie I had been awaiting for quite some time. Being an animator myself, I do occasionally get some dirt on these movies a good long while before release. As such, I've been familiar with the character of Stitch for the better part of 2 years. Early buzz inside the community was that Stitch was going to be one of the most clever and funny films to come out of disney. So, when I got the chance to go to the sneak preview, I was all over it. Did the movie deliver? Damn right it did. By and far the best non musical disney effort ever. A heart warming, cleverly written and brilliantly animated film that is almost on par with iron giant in terms of emotional impact.
    The 2 main characters are both endearing almost immediately in their own unique ways. Stitch is the embodiment of all our destructive tendencies. The trouble maker inside of all of us, the one our parents tell us about when they talk about how we were as children. There's nothing evil about stitch, he's a melevolance born out of pure joy of action. The part of us that likes to see big explosions. He isn't trying to be mean, he isn't destructive because he wants to hurt people, he just thinks (as most young children do) that breaking things is fun.
    Lilo is a child who has lost her parents and is having a hard time adjusting to her new life. She is ostricised by her classmates, who treat her differently now that she is an orphan. She lashes out at the world in frustration, anger and fear. We've all felt like this at some point, whether we've suffered this kind of emotional loss or not. To those who feel no sympathy with this character even when she's lashing out, well, try to think about how you'd react if you were 5 years old and lost both your parents and were treated poorly by the children around you.
    The plot of the film is simple, but not overly so. There's a depth here, but it isn't over complicated. Unlike many disney features which rely on a supporting cast of cute animals whose purpose is non existent, this film has done away with that disney convention in favour of a supporting cast that actually serves the story. This movie succeeds where atlantis failed miserably, in that they have actually commited to the film and done it properly. Atlentis stumbled because, while it wanted to be an action movie in the vein of 20,000 leagues under the sea, it felt bound by the disney conventions and burdened itself with extraneous characters which served no purpose. The movie never commited itself to the format and tried to be a hybrid, which worked poorly.
    Lilo and Stitch is a moving family film with humour that will appeal both to adults and children. It has some of the best character design work it has been my pleasure as an animator to see, and contains some very impressive character animation. Let me assure Scott that this film was never intended at any stage of its development to be a direct to video release, and the film does not reflect that quality. Animation of this caliber is not the realm of cirect to video release. Perhaps it is the stylistic choices in the character and background design that lead you to this conclusion, but rest assured that this is some of the finest animation you are ever likely to see.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] and a half out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Joel Turpin

Joel Turpin Agent

What Geoffrey said...

8.5 out of 10

Joins Emperor's New Groove as my favorite modern Disney movie.

Joel

14. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

B-

The movie should've been called just Stich.

15. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

If there is such a thing as a bad theatrically released animated film, Disney almost flirts at that level with their latest offering, Lilo & Stitch. At best, this is an effort mostly relegated to Saturday morning TV. I should have been tipped off when it was using the animation of The Lion King in its teasers when promoting the film. The latter clearly had a more superior animation.
    My little companion, who always accompanies me to these animated films, was restless. It drew no more than a handful of laughs between the two of us.
    In addition, there is a reason why recognizable actors are hired to lend voices to the animated characters. They simply don’t read the words out of the printed page. Instead, they provide depth, emotion and personality to the characters they are portraying. Here, the hired voices are simply going through the motions of reading the script.
    Furthermore, both the story and musical score are easily forgettable.
    With Lilo & Stitch, Disney did not raise the bar for animated films and has taken a step back since its Academy award nominated film, Beauty and the Beast. With its $35M opening weekend, they have definitely lowered the bar for theatrically released animated films just to make a quick buck at the box office. No wonder others still refer to these films simply as “cartoons”. Lilo & Stitch is a prime example of one.
    What other studios have built slowly in the last few years when it comes to traditional animation, Disney simply puts a blow to the entire genre and the public’s perception with a very miscalculated effort. In the future, Disney would be wise to focus its efforts in projects that protect its brand name when it comes to animated films. Without Pixar, Disney has seen some erosion over the past couple of years in its animated division.
    Lilo & Stitch rates [​IMG] (out of four). DreamWorks’ Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron remains the best American made animated film so far this year.
    ~Edwin

16. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I thought Lilo And Stitch was a generally entertaining film that is more akin to Warner Bros. Looney Toon shorts than it is to previous Disney efforts.
    My nephew and niece loved and as did the crowd I saw it with. Sure the animation was crude but that was part of the charm IMO.
    The derivative story moved along at a good pace and I was never bored. Charming and harmless.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    I'd say it was average for me. Definitely not the caliber of Iron Giant or any of Disney's work from 1989-1993.
    Jeff