What's new

*** Official "LE FABULEUX DESTIN D'AMELIE POULAIN" Review Thread (2 Viewers)

Jeff Rogers

Second Unit
Just saw this last night at the Dundee.
Hands down one of the best and most touching movies this year.
Check it out :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
A huge recommend from me as well. This is a very strong film in both visuals and narrative technique. Storywise it's along the same vien as other Friendly Intruder stories such as Chocolat or Pleasantville, in which a person uses their influence to improve everyone else's lives and in turn has their's improved (usually finding love). In that way it is not groundbreaking at all, but in presentation it is highly creative.

Lots of quirky visuals, very storybook-like at times, it keeps you highly entertained. Our audience laughed all the time, not howling but the warm laughter that a truly emotionally uplifting film provides, and it was pretty constant throughout the film.

Somewhere in my top 3 of the year for sure.

So I assume this to be the Foreign Film Oscar lock at this point. It seems almost as certain as CTHD did last year. I'd have to see something pretty damn impressive to change my mind.

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
I saw this a little over a week ago, and missed this thread.
I agree wholeheartedly with most of what was said above, especially Edwin's post. Amélie currently has the #2 spot in my list, but at the end of the year will drop to #3 when Fellowship of the Ring takes #1. But it is so different, I don't think it's really fair to compare it to anything else that's out there. I think Dave got it right when he compared it to Ally McBeal's quirkiness -- though I really hate that show, some of its style was present in this movie. Thank goodness none of the soap-operish/sitcom-ish tripe that is present in Ally was visible in Amélie.
Great movie; I give it a 90%, and #2 in my 2001 film list.
One final word:
Fifteen.
:D

Lin Weiwen

Stunt Coordinator
What a film!!! I came across so many great reviews about it on the net that it only increased my anticipation for the film. Finally watched it a few days ago(yup...the opening was delayed here in Singapore) and it did not disappoint in the slightest bit!! A bold and brilliant example of creative filmmaking. What a refreshing break from those Hollywood flicks! Audrey Tautou was simply charming and brilliant in her performance as the film's protagonist. Her radiant looks only add more colour and energy to the film's already vibrant mood. The cinematography was excellent and I would love to see the film earn an Oscar nomination for that category. As for the Best Foreign Film prize.....it must win!!
Definitely one of the most refreshing and uplifting foreign films I have seen since La Vita E' Bella and The Eighth Day.
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Finally, after much prodding by Edwin, My fiance` and I made the trek into NYC to see Amelie in a decent theater ( Loews 34th Street:emoji_thumbsup: ) since the local ones showing it are all below average.
WOW! What a wonderful, amazing absolutely perfect film Amelie is!. A heartfelt fable of life, love and destiny. I had a smile on my face from beginning to end and left the theater with a high I haven't experienced in quite some time. Thanks for the prodding Edwin.:)
Amelie had me laughing almost constantly while also providing almost a tear or two during its all too short two hours. I wish it was 5 hours long. I agree with all the positive statements so well stated above and all I can add is that Amelie is one of the best foreign language films I have ever seen and is currently also my second favorite film of the year, just behind A.I Artificial Intelligence and just ahead of Moulin Rouge.
Bravo!
:star: :star: :star: :star:

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
:star: :star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
I loved this movie, charming describes it the best for me along with clever & sneaky . Probably one of my more recent favorites but Ghost World edging it a bit.

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron
Great video clip, Henry! Thanks. I think I'm in love. That's how I talk in English too. Like her, French is my first language.

Brian Kaz

Second Unit
This was hands down, my favorite film of last year and one of my top favorites from the last decade. It's also an AWESOME DVD. I've seen it enough times now that I don't have to have the subtitles on, which is very cool.
:star: :star: :star: :star:
Audrey Tatou is my queen!

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Granted there was quit a bit of reading i had to do to keep up ,but it was great!
Although like Steeve, French is my first language, once I started school at age 5 and started to learn English my French went downhill. My wife laughed because I attempted to watch it without the subtitles but about 10 mins into it I had to turn them on. :D She on the other hand had no problems. :rolleyes

BarryS

Second Unit
Ahhh, now this is a refreshing, beautiful movie. Amelie is a joyous celebration of life and love that has as much of a sense of humor as it does heart. Jeunet is a visionary and does not disappoint. This lovely film could make even the most hardened, calloused cynic manage a smile. The appeal of Audrey Tautou and her coy little smirk are forever ingrained in my memory. One of my favorites of 2001. :star: :star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star:.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Wow, i envy you that know French, to listen to her and understand every word that comes from her pretty little mouth must be a treat :) :)
I LOVE her accent!!!!

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I have the same accent. When I was in California, 7 years ago, I noticed that having a French accent is actually an advantage over there. If you know what I mean.
I know what you mean. :D Unfortunately I lost my accent long before I would ever be able to use it. If you know what I mean. :D

Clint B

Second Unit
I must agree with all of the positive comments about this film--a wonderful, surprising treat! One quick "peeve" that I have, though--"Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amelie Poulain" does not translate into "Amelie from Montmartre" but simply "The Fabulous Destiny of Amelie Poulain." I don't know why Miramax chose to change the title for American audiences. Even if you don't speak French, the original title isn't that hard to figure out!

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit
Just saw it last night. Add me to the the film's throng of admirers. It felt like they took three of my favorite films, Rushmore, Il Postino and Chungking Express... and threw them in a karmic blender with Maurice Chevalier!
Of course, since I only rented it, I guess I need to now buy a copy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks