*** Official "KUNG POW: ENTER THE FIST" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Speicher, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

This is easily the stupidest movie I've seen commercials for recently (even moreso than Snow Dogs). For some reason I actually get angry when one of the commercials for it air. It just amazes me a movie this stupid could be made.

I noticed it came out today, and there's not a single review posted on Rotten Tomatoes nor has it received at least 5 votes on IMDB. Are people avoiding this movie at all costs? For the sake of humanity, I hope so.

2. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I thought it was to get a wide release in the US on the 25th Jan. But i'm yet to see the reviews, there is only one on Rotten Tomatoes and it's a positive. Still I find it hard to believe it will stay that way, looks like a flick i'll have to see under heavy sedation.

Spoofs have to be my most hated movies!

3. chris larralde

chris larralde Stunt Coordinator

Well, I thought it was one of the funniest darn movies I've ever seen.

I think if you grew up in the 70s and 80s with Kung Fu theater, it takes on a whole new meaning.

chris

4. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Yow, not funny. (Others are free to disagree.)
    Here's my review: Kung Pow! Enter the Fist
    There's a reason you haven't seen any reviews. It wasn't screened for critics.

5. chris larralde

Man, I have to disagree with your review. I just saw it tonight and the entire theater was laughing!
    I've actually seen those Jimmy Wang Yu movies, so seeing them spoofed was hilarious. To each his own though, I like a lot of movies that others don't find funny [​IMG]
    chris

6. AaronP

AaronP Stunt Coordinator

my mom made the ultimate statement on this movie yesterday. After watching a commercial, she said. "What kind of people would go to that?"

7. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

After sitting through "Thumb Wars" and the trailer for this, Steve Oedekerk wins the "least funniest man alive" award, though he still has to share it with Carrot-Top. Paul Rodriguez has been forgiven for his good role in "Ali" and Yakov Smirnoff and the Unknown Comic have essentially retired.

8. Josh Davidson

Josh Davidson Stunt Coordinator

9. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I second that.

10. Ernesto Santos

Ernesto Santos Stunt Coordinator

For the first time in my life I have run into someone who finally has revealed the truth about Yakov Smirnoff. [​IMG]

11. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for Kung Pow: Enter the Fist. Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
    All HTF member film reviews of Kung Pow: Enter the Fist should be posted to this thread.
    Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
    Crawdaddy

12. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Yikes! This movie debuted in 9th place at the box office and currently has a RottenTomatoes.com rating of 0!!! Guess we'll be seeing this on home video in a week or two.

13. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

This movie looks tired. They clearly spent more money marketing it then they did making it. Plus, a Kung Fu spoof seems way past it's time today.

If you want to see a decent kung-fu movie spoof (one that probably inspired this film) go out and find "Kung Fu Rascals" if you can. Les Claypool of 'Primus' fame has a role in Kung Fu Rascals as the 'Sheriff of Ching-Wa County' and he did the soundtrack as well.

14. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew

15. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

It does not seem that too many people have ever heard of the saying "Never judge a book by its cover"
    Instead of knocking it and not seeing it, how bout seeing it and then rant on it if you don't like it. I went in with VERY low expectations and came out of the theater with a headache that was induced by almost non-stop laughter.
    There area few areas in the movie where something happens that are so totally unexpected that I nearly fell out of my chair and unto the sticky floor from laughing so hard! [​IMG]
    At least wait for it to come out on the home market for a rental before knocking it. At least that way you will have informed input instead of basing all of your perceptions of a movie on a single 2 minute trailer.

16. Brian Kissinger

Brian Kissinger Screenwriter

I'm inclined to renting it when it comes out, merely for the fact that A Fistful of Yen from the great Kentucky Fried Movie has a special place in my heart. Granted, there is no connection other than a kung fu spoof, but maybe, just maybe, it will be as entertaining.

17. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Okay, this is not really related, but the tongue thing reminded me of an old movie I saw one time. Not sure if I can describe this in a sensitive way. It was a martial arts movie starring a guy who had a deformed arm. It was really like a little hand up near his shoulder. Anyone have any idea what this movie was? Any chance it was part of what they were spoofing?

18. chris larralde

19. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

They Call me Bruce? is a semi-funny kung-fu sendup.
    I have not yet seen Kung Pow and although (as a critic) I should see it, I'm not really looking forward to it.

20. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Go make up my own mind...hmmm, let's see what's on the agenda.

(Since I already saw Ocean's 11, Harry Potter, Monsters Inc, FOTR, Beautiful Mind, Black Hawk Down, and Vanilla Sky)

In the Bedroom

Gosford Park

Brotherhood of the Wolf

FOTR (again)

Ali

Orange County

but right after that I might have time and money to waste on Kung Pow or Snow Dogs. Thanks for the advice, but I have limited resources. You have to have a better trailer (one that hides lame jokes like YET ANOTHER MATRIX SPOOF (cow/milk) or the cow FIGHTING, again in lame CGI) and/or have to get more than 5% of the reviewers to actually like it.

You are free to love the hell out of the film, but questioning why others have no interest in seeing it is another thing.

I will avoid the film if for no other reason than to avoid every single second that I saw in the trailer. Those 2-3 minutes are bad enough to make me avoid seeing Citizen Kane around them. Somehow I don't expect the rest of the film to be much better.