What's new

*** Official KINSEY Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H

I don't think this was a disclaimer...this SHOULD have been the theme. How/if Kinsey came to understand it. The statement by him at the end is more of a half-assed attempt at wrapping up a non-existant theme.

Your final paragraph, Dee, asks some interesting things...maybe the movie could have been more about how/what Kinsey contributed to the sexual revolution. Or, maybe the film should have been about the dangers of trying to get so intimate without intimacy (the 'crossing the line' by he and his team).

It sounds like you have some feelings about his work. I did not...but, I wish there had been MORE to care about in the film.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Dee certainly dislikes the film more than I do, but after reading your review, I'm not sure I saw the same film either! :)

I'd like to know what you thought the film has to say. Does it have anything to say, or is it just holding the microscope over Kinsey's life? You seem to have been taken in by the relationships, but I really found them lacking in as much intimacy for me (the audience) as Kinsey had with his "specimens".

I really liked the way he was portrayed as relentless and oh-so-scientific...but, I was left wanting a lot more from him, from the movie, and from the relationships.

One scene you mention (with William Sadler), I'd like to address: clearly indicated to me that Kinsey was realizing he wasn't detached. Even Sadler notes "you're more square than I thought." I think Kinsey was disgusted, and it was something of a mirror held up to himself. In fact, it's the point where I would have really liked the film to address the dangerous emotional territory and the fallout to Kinsey himself. Therein could have been the heart of the film. Instead, it went off on another tangent about Hoover and the loss of grant money.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Michael, I live on the Upper Upper West Side, maybe the prints are different up here.

:)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Dee, I saw Kinsey at the Landmark Sunshine. Maybe the downtown atmosphere suits it better. ;)

I assume you went to the Lincoln Plaza. Nice theater, but I prefer a bigger screen if the film is playing on one.

M.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Good points all around, Michael. I guess I just mis-read your take on the Sadler moment.

The film IS interesting (and, of course, well performed). I'll grant you that.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Kinsey" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Kinsey" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I lived in Bloomington, Indiana for a number of years so I'm very interested in this film. I will probably go to the Detroit area this weekend to watch it. I'm also a big fan of Laura Linney and think she is one of our most underrated actresses.

Crawdaddy

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I haven't been here long enough to be a hundred percent sure, but I don't think any of the footage was shot in Bloomington.

Linney and Condon came a couple weeks ago to show the movie. According to the papers, people attached to the Kinsey Institute were quite happy with the movie and Neeson's protrayal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks