What's new

Official KINO Insider Announcements Thread: STRICTLY MODERATED: READ GUIDELINES (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

Well, sort of. The JACK THE GIANT SLAYER name is similar but the plot line and characters are completely different, and to my mind, not nearly as good as in the 1961 edition. Granted, the original has some crude effects work, but Kerwin Mathews fits the role better than Jack Black (just as few actors would have worked as well as Black did in SCHOOL OF ROCK). And Judi Meredith was simply a babe, even as a witch. Plus there is the bonus of Torin Thatcher, bringing the film a little closer to being a 7th VOYAGE OF SINBAD rip while never quite being one. Nice Paul Sawtell / Bert Shefter score (available on CD).
Methinks you're confusing this somewhat with Gulliver's Travels. Jack in Jack the Giant Slayer is Nicholas Hoult, a decidedly different [and British] actor.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Is THE MAGIC SWORD anywhere on the slate? I hope this hasn't been asked recently....it's hard keeping up.

I think Shout has The Magic Sword as they released the MST3K cut.. I could be wrong about this but that's my best guess

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
:lol: Won't you be glad to get away from all these dumb questions?

well, i wouldn't call it dumb.
I don't know about the musical version and how bad is it, BUT, if both versions are in one disc, this means they get half of the disc (or even less if there are extras).
If only one was in the disc it means it benefits most of the entire space of the disc, with higher bitrates, and possibly better video quality.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
well, i wouldn't call it dumb.
I don't know about the musical version and how bad is it, BUT, if both versions are in one disc, this means they get half of the disc (or even less if there are extras).
If only one was in the disc it means it benefits most of the entire space of the disc, with higher bitrates, and possibly better video quality.
According to IMDb the non-musical version is 94 minutes and the Musical version is 91 minutes. My math says that is 185 minutes
There are no special features indicated (there were none on the previous [MGM] DVD release: and there would probably be nothing to offer KINO unless KINO wanted produce their own ...)

Assuming branching is not used, keep in mind the following
According to IMDb:
Fiddler on the Roof is 181 minutes 1 blu-ray
Deer Hunter is 183 minutes 1 blu-ray
Barry Lyndon is 184 minutes 1 blu-ray (WB) 1 for the film 1 disc for special features Criterion
Hateful 8 is 187 minutes 1 blu-ray
Green Mile is 189 minutes 1 blu-ray
Schindler's List 195 minutes 1 blu-ray for movie
Seven Samurai 207 minutes 1 blu-ray + several special features on Criterion

There would not be any issue with fitting these two movies on one blu-ray

Last edited:

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Coming January 16th on DVD and Blu-ray!

The Taking of Beverly Hills (1991)

• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Howard S. Berger and Sidney J. Furie Biographer Daniel Kremer
• Trailers

738329217525.jpg

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Methinks you're confusing this somewhat with Gulliver's Travels. Jack in Jack the Giant Slayer is Nicholas Hoult, a decidedly different [and British] actor.

ARGH!!! You're right. My bad.

Or in these times, maybe I should instead say, "I do not recall any instance where I would have said Jack Black was in JACK THE GIANT SLAYER. I have no recollection of such an action, and I am not going to sit here and be accused of doing something I already said I have no knowledge of."

;)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
And commentaries don't take any space, last I heard KL was getting a prominent historian to do a commentary of the original version.

Just keeps getting better! And while I have you on the phone, good sir, please accept my thanks for all of your timely and informative posts, and my best wishes to you in whatever your new post will be.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Coming Soon on DVD and Blu-ray!
Brand New 2018 HD Master!

The Martian Chronicles (1980)
Starring Rock Hudson, Gayle Hunnicutt, Bernie Casey, Darren McGavin, Roddy McDowall, Bernadette Peters, Joyce Van Patten, Maria Schell and Fritz Weaver - Shot by Ted Moore (Goldfinger, Thunderball) - Music by Stanley Myers (The Deer Hunter, The Witches) - Screenplay by Ray Bradbury (Fahrenheit 451, Something Wicked This Way Comes) and Richard Matheson (I am Legend, Duel) - Directed by Michael Anderson (Logan's Run, The Quiller Memorandum).

The-Martian-Chronicles-Featured.jpg

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I'm a Rock Hudson fan, and I'm close to seeing his complete filmography, but I had no idea about this!
I guess it's because it's a TV mini series.
Or will this be a theatrical cut?
I see various durations at imdb.

165 min (compact video) | 281 min (PAL DVD) | 293 min (DVD) | 360 min | 110 min (theatrical) | 251 min (TV) (edited)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
:lol: Won't you be glad to get away from all these dumb questions?
MisterLime. Since you're leaving, could you possibly port over your HTF trophy points to my account?:huh:

P.S. Hoping your first weekend will be fun filled and pleasant. Thanks for everything and...cheers!!!:cheers:

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I'm a Rock Hudson fan, and I'm close to seeing his complete filmography, but I had no idea about this!
I guess it's because it's a TV mini series.
Or will this be a theatrical cut?
I see various durations at imdb.

165 min (compact video) | 281 min (PAL DVD) | 293 min (DVD) | 360 min | 110 min (theatrical) | 251 min (TV) (edited)

KL is just releasing the uncut mini-series, the 4hrs and 53 minute version - the 360 is the running time with commercials.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
MisterLime. Since you're leaving, could you possibly port over your HTF trophy points to my account?:huh:
P.S. Hoping your first weekend will be fun filled and pleasant. Thanks for everything and...cheers!!!:cheers:

Sure, ask the moderator to port them over.

Thanks.

Reactions: PMF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks