What's new

Official KINO Insider Announcements Thread: STRICTLY MODERATED: READ GUIDELINES (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I have the Studio Canal BR of Kundun which is quite good.

I have this also and cannot agree that it is "quite good." The DNR is so complete that the image looks smeary. An incredibly disrespectful (to Scorcese) release.

Reactions: PMF

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
I have this also and cannot agree that it is "quite good." The DNR is so complete that the image looks smeary. An incredibly disrespectful (to Scorcese) release.
I have not watched this for some time, I guess I will have to check it out, thanks.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Coming Soon on DVD and Blu-ray!
Beautifully restored in Technicolor!

The Garden of Allah (1936) Starring Marlene Dietrich, Charles Boyer, Basil Rathbone, C. Aubrey Smith, Tilly Losch, Joseph Schildkraut and John Carradine - Produced by David O. Selznick (Portrait of Jennie) - Screenplay by W.P. Lipscomb (Duel in the Sun) and Lynn Riggs (Stingaree) - Based on a Novel by Robert Hichens (The Paradine Case) - Directed by Richard Boleslawski (Les Misérables)

Garden of Allah (1936).jpg

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Coming Soon on DVD and Blu-ray!
The Garden of Allah (1936)
For two consecutive years W. Howard Greene received a "Special Award" from AMPAS for his cinematography.
The Garden of Allah was his first; as shared with Harold Rosson, for the same film.
This makes for a great companion piece to Kino's BD of "A Star is Born" (1937); as this became Mr. Greene's second "Special Award".
Happenstance on Kino's part? Perhaps, as there are many other attributes for the release of this film. But either way, it's nice to have a back to back of Mr. Greene's honored works.

I wonder if MisterLime could offer some background on the transfer?

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Garden of Allah (although an unintentional comedy) remains one of the most beautiful Technicolor movies I have ever seen. I saw it projected in Radio City Music Hall and it offered the most glorious eye candy ever. Dietrich never looked lovelier.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Coming Soon!
First Time on DVD and Blu-ray!
Restored Roadshow Edition in Glorious Technicolor!

The Wild Heart (1952)
Starring Jennifer Jones, David Farrar, Cyril Cusack, Sybil Thorndike, Esmond Knight and Hugh Griffith - Executive Producer David O'Selznick (Duel in the Sun) - Christopher Challis (The Tales of Hoffmann) - Produced, Written and Directed by Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger (The Red Shoes, Stairway to Heaven, Black Narcissus)

wild_heart_4.jpg

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Coming Soon!

The Wild Heart (1952)
Starring Jennifer Jones, David Farrar, Cyril Cusack, Sybil Thorndike, Esmond Knight and Hugh Griffith - Executive Producer David O'Selznick (Duel in the Sun) - Christopher Challis (The Tales of Hoffmann) - Produced, Written and Directed by Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger (The Red Shoes, Stairway to Heaven, Black Narcissus)

View attachment 41288
Mr. Lime, regarding The Wild Heart, is this the Selznick re-edit, directed by Mamoulian, of the Archers' production originally titled Gone to Earth? There's such a difference between the two of them. I know since I saw them back-to-back at MoMA. And yes, the Technicolor is glorious.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Coming Soon!

The Wild Heart (1952)

View attachment 41288

Mr. Lime - will this be the original, full-length version (released as Gone to Earth), or the shortened, 82-minute version Selznick cobbled together?

Reactions: PMF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks