What's new

Official KINO Insider Announcements Thread: STRICTLY MODERATED: READ GUIDELINES (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Coming Soon!
First Time on DVD and Blu-ray!
In TruColor and Naturama Scope!
Brand New HD Master from a 4K Scan by Paramount Archives!

A Woman's Devotion (1956) Starring Ralph Meeker, Janice Rule, Paul Henreid and Rosenda Monteros - Shot by Jorge Stahl Jr. (Garden of Evil) - Music by Les Baxter (Tales of Terror) - Screenplay by Robert Hill (Female on the Beach) - Directed by Paul Henreid (Dead Ringer)

View attachment 40917

As a fan of both Ralph Meeker and Janice Rule, I've been wanting to see this movie for years. Now I can! Thanks, Kino!

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
As a fan of both Ralph Meeker and Janice Rule, I've been wanting to see this movie for years. Now I can! Thanks, Kino!

Ralph Meeker was one of the most under-appreciated actors of the '50s and '60s -- and if you explore some of his early work you see he was a method actor a la Brando. Kiss Me Deadly is one of my favorite movies and some of his work is designed to make you both like and dislike his Mike Hammer; a brilliantly ahead-of-its time antihero performance predating Gene Hackman's Popeye Doyle by 16 years.

And Janice Rule was undeniably sexy ...... :cool:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Ralph Meeker was one of the most under-appreciated actors of the '50s and '60s -- and if you explore some of his early work you see he was a method actor a la Brando. Kiss Me Deadly is one of my favorite movies and some of his work is designed to make you both like and dislike his Mike Hammer; a brilliantly ahead-of-its time antihero performance predating Gene Hackman's Popeye Doyle by 16 years.

And Janice Rule was undeniably sexy ...... :cool:

And don't forget that Meeker was the original Hal in the original Broadway cast of Picnic. It's a pity that he didn't get to recreate his role for the 1955 film version. And coincidentally, Janice Rule was the original Madge in that very same production (Kim Novak did the film).

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Coming Soon!
First Time on 3-D/Blu-ray and DVD!
4K Scan of the Original Camera Negative and 2K Scan of the IP!
3-D Restoration of the Technicolor Classic by 3-D Film Archive!

Sangaree (1953) Starring Fernando Lamas, Arlene Dahl, Patricia Medina, Francis L. Sullivan and Willard Parker - Shot by W. Wallace Kelley (The Nutty Professor) and Oscar Winner Lionel Lindon (Around the World in 80 Days) - Edited by Howard A. Smith (Breakfast at Tiffany's) - Directed by Edward Ludwig (Big Jim McLain, Jivaro).

It's not often that you have an opportunity to interview a living legend AND solve a mystery which has lingered in the technological history of motion pictures for more than half a century. Hillary Hess accomplishes both in her wonderfully detailed article, "An In-Depth Look at SANGAREE."

Miss Arlene Dahl shares her memories of the production and the origins of the Paravision camera rig (with its newly-discovered connection to a legendary comedian) are finally solved.

Noteworthy as the first 3-D production from Paramount; the first 3-D film in Technicolor; the first 3-D film based on a best-selling novel and the first 3-D film billed with an A-list cast, SANGAREE will be restored from original 35mm elements by the 3-D Film Archive and released on 3-D Blu-ray by Kino Lorber Studio Classics in 2018!

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/sangaree

Sang-6-sh.jpg

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
On Sangaree

Excited to hear this announcement.

Will both the 4K and 2K scans be used for the 3D restoration in order to find the best elements for a particular shot or scene ?

And does this mean the first 3D film released in Technicolor as I thought only 2 were filmed in Technicolor ?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
One side is 2K IP and the other is 4K OCN. Greg Kintz will work his restorative magic.

FORT TI premiered 18 days earlier but SANGAREE was first at the Technicolor lab.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
One side is 2K IP and the other is 4K OCN. Greg Kintz will work his restorative magic.

FORT TI premiered 18 days earlier but SANGAREE was first at the Technicolor lab.

So I'm assuming the OCN did not exist for both eyes ?

Sounds like a fun challenge -- Gog looks good with all the work to match a faded print,
so this should look better.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Yes, both exist but one side is not usable at this time.

For all that Greg Kintz has done to match left/right elements, this will be a piece of cake!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Great to have more Rhonda Fleming and Arlene Dahl on blu-ray and in 3D. Of course, my most wanted title stars both of these ladies - Slightly Scarlet. I don't suppose Kino have access to this film.

I've yet to see a pristine transfer of this film. I suspect it would take a lot of restoration work to render it acceptable hi def blu ray standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks