What's new

Official KINO Insider Announcements Thread: STRICTLY MODERATED: READ GUIDELINES (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Poor Kino Lorber! Damned if they do and damned if they don't! If they don't release it, they'll forever be besieged for requests for it because we know they have a deal with Disney. If they do release it, there will be the usual whining about subpar transfer, faded color, not the roadshow version, why not a 5.1 soundtrack etc. We're not talking about The Big Country here. This is a marginal title that was a box office flop. They can only work with what they are given and we can't expect them to shell out big bucks for a necessary restoration without a guarantee they'll get a return on their investment.

I read somewhere on the Internet years ago about preservation work being done on NORWAY by Disney when it bought ABC (it was included in some technician's bio, as I recall), but that work obviously couldn't meet current technological standards. I know there are the eccentrics who refuse to buy a disc unless (a) it precisely recreates the original roadshow experience (b) it uses appropriate cover art (c) it comes in a Steelbook (d) whatever. But I am one of those who would be happy with a decent anamorphic DVD of NORWAY without half the image chopped off.

I have pre-ordered Kino's KRAKATOA Blu-Ray with similar expectations - no, it won't be perfect, but is likely to be the best available for that marginal title.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I collect specific types of films, and KINO has helped my inch closer to my goal. They are still helping me. I don't care for a lot of the titles KINO releases, but I still have a great respect for the company and especially Mr. Lime for the work they do releasing the films they do. Without them, I would have films like METROPOLIS, BAD GIRL, or ALIBI.

Once again, thank you Mr. Lime and KINO!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Poor Kino Lorber! Damned if they do and damned if they don't! If they don't release it, they'll forever be besieged for requests for it because we know they have a deal with Disney. If they do release it, there will be the usual whining about subpar transfer, faded color, not the roadshow version, why not a 5.1 soundtrack etc. We're not talking about The Big Country here. This is a marginal title that was a box office flop. They can only work with what they are given and we can't expect them to shell out big bucks for a necessary restoration without a guarantee they'll get a return on their investment.

The 1973 Lost Horizon was a box office flop. TT sold all 3,000 copies of the Blu-ray.

From Wikipedia for Lost Horizon:
Budget $12 million
Box office $3,800,000 (US/ Canada rentals)[1]

From Wikipedia for Song of Norway:
Budget
$3,625,000[1]
Box office $7,900,000[1]

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
The 1973 Lost Horizon was a box office flop. TT sold all 3,000 copies of the Blu-ray.

Budget
$12 million
Box office $3,800,000 (US/ Canada rentals)[1]

Budget
$3,625,000[1]
Box office $7,900,000[1]

True but nearly half of them were sold on sale at $9.99 or 7 for $70 sales. So probably not a money maker.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
KLSC Pre-Pre-Order Sale!
Up to 50% Off!
One Week Only!
Free Shipping: USA orders of $50 or moreCanada orders of $100 or more

• NOTE • Customers who've already ordered these titles will be charged these "Special P-P-O" prices when their orders are ready to ship.

• PLUS • If you end up ordering these titles AFTER the “Special P-P-O” sale, we’ve added pre-order price protection to our website. Where the customer will be charged the lowest price offered by KLSC between the time the order is placed and the release date of the Blu-ray or DVD. But not these promotional prices, which are only available to customers who’ve ordered these discs during or prior to the promotion.

•• To receive orders before or on street date, please don't mix titles coming out early in the month with ones scheduled for later in the month.

9/5: They Shoot Horses, Don’t They? $14.97 Blu-ray | $9.98 DVD
9/5: The Birthday Party $14.97 Blu-ray | $9.98 DVD
9/12: Custer of the West $14.97 Blu-ray | $9.98 DVD
9/12: Krakatoa, East of Java $14.97 Blu-ray | $9.98 DVD
9/12: Visit to a Small Planet $14.97 Blu-ray | $9.98 DVD
9/12: Tobor the Great $14.97 Blu-ray | $9.98 DVD
9/19: Adventures of Captain Marvel $14.97 Blu-ray | $10.97 DVD
9/19: Love with the Proper Stranger $14.97 Blu-ray | $9.98 DVD
9/19: Red Line 7000 $14.97 Blu-ray | $9.98 DVD
9/19: Funny Bones $14.97 Blu-ray | $9.98 DVD
9/26: The Long Riders $15.97 Blu-ray | $11.97 DVD
9/26: Dimension 5 $14.97 Blu-ray | $9.98 DVD
9/26: Cyborg 2087 $14.97 Blu-ray | $9.98 DVD
9/26: SpaceCamp $14.97 Blu-ray | $9.98 DVD
9/26: OSS 117: Five Film Collection $32.97 Blu-ray | $27.99 DVD

http://www.klstudioclassics.com

ppo_sale.jpg

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member

Box office
$3,800,000 (US/ Canada rentals)[1]

Budget
$3,625,000[1]
Box office $7,900,000[1]

And I was among them! I love that movie! I'd buy Song Of Norway in a flash too! But it appears Lost Horizon was in decent shape without heavy restoration work and they even restored the fertility dance! Plus it had an all star cast with a Burt Bacharach score. Somehow I don't see Florence Henderson singing Edvard Grieg as a big seller but as I said, I'd be the first to buy it even if it's not the original roadshow cut.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Mr Lime, For your pre-order sale, will items get shipped as they are released or will they hold the order until the last one is released (i.e. do I need to break up my order by release date to get them in a timely manner)? Thanks.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

Valdez is Coming (1971) Starring Burt Lancaster, Susan Clark, Frank Silvera, Jon Cypher, Richard Jordan, Barton Heyman, Hector Elizondo and Phil Brown - Shot by Gábor Pogány (Two Women) - Based on a Novel by Elmore Leonard (Hombre) - Screenplay by Roland Kibbee (Vera Cruz) and David Rayfiel (Three Days of the Condor) - Directed Edwin Sherin (My Old Man's Place)

valdez_eez_comeeng.jpg

dagover

Agent
Real Name
Brian
Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

Valdez is Coming (1971)

My wife and I saw it in theater when it first came out. I liked this movie better than the man with no name films. I'm not usually a Bert Lancaster fan, but he was perfect for this one. I always liked Susan (wife of Alex Karras) Clark and Barton Hayward was also great as El Segundo.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I collect specific types of films, and KINO has helped my inch closer to my goal. They are still helping me. I don't care for a lot of the titles KINO releases, but I still have a great respect for the company and especially Mr. Lime for the work they do releasing the films they do. Without them, I would have films like METROPOLIS, BAD GIRL, or ALIBI.

Once again, thank you Mr. Lime and KINO!
My specific collection; or, at least, my epic large numbered one; deals with an attempt to see every film that ever won the Oscar for Best Cinematography. As far as I can tell, there are only 32 films left to be released on BD. As for the titles that are available on BD between "Sunrise" and "Gone With The Wind"? They are few. And Kino Lorber has been THE only group present to fill in that gap; as they have supplied me with "Tabu", "A Farewell to Arms" and "A Star is Born". For anyone who takes a look at the list, these three entries are significant. How wonderful that they all just happened to fall into place during the sale, as well. My film education continues. And this time, its exclusively due to Kino; and that, my friends, is also significant.:cool:

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
My specific collection; at least my epic large numbered one; deals with an attempt to see every film that ever won the Oscar for Best Cinematography. As far as I can tell, there are only 32 films left to be released on BD. As for the titles that are available on BD between "Sunrise" and "Gone With The Wind"? They are few. And Kino Lorber has been THE only group present to fill in that gap; as they have supplied me with "Tabu", "A Farewell to Arms" and "A Star is Born". For anyone who takes a look at the list, these three entries are significant. How wonderful that they all just happened to fall into place during the sale, as well. My film education continues. And this time, its exclusively due to Kino; and that, my friends, is also significant.:cool:
Best Cinematography? That's pretty specific... I only do Picture and acting.

Reactions: PMF

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
And I was among them! I love that movie! I'd buy Song Of Norway in a flash too! But it appears Lost Horizon was in decent shape without heavy restoration work and they even restored the fertility dance! Plus it had an all star cast with a Burt Bacharach score. Somehow I don't see Florence Henderson singing Edvard Grieg as a big seller but as I said, I'd be the first to buy it even if it's not the original roadshow cut.

I'll have to check the running time on the DVD I have. Did the 70mm roadshow have overture, intermission and exit music? The film is listed as 138 minutes.

jbp110

Grip
Real Name
James
Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

Valdez is Coming (1971) Starring Burt Lancaster, Susan Clark, Frank Silvera, Jon Cypher, Richard Jordan, Barton Heyman, Hector Elizondo and Phil Brown - Shot by Gábor Pogány (Two Women) - Based on a Novel by Elmore Leonard (Hombre) - Screenplay by Roland Kibbee (Vera Cruz) and David Rayfiel (Three Days of the Condor) - Directed Edwin Sherin (My Old Man's Place)

View attachment 39666

I've been following this forum daily ever since I learned of its existence in 2015 hoping to see this movie on a US Blu-ray release. Great news, Mister Lime!

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Coming October 17th on DVD and Blu-ray!

RawHead Rex (1986) with optional English subtitles

Special Features:
• Brand New 4K Restoration - From the Original Camera Negative
• Audio Commentary with Director George Pavlou, moderated by Stephen Thrower, the Author of Nightmare USA: The Untold Story of the Exploitation Independents, Murderous Passions; The Delirious Cinema of Jesús Franco and Beyond Terror: The Films of Lucio Fulci
• Interview with Actor Heinrich von Bünau (Rawhead Rex)
• Interview with Actor Ronan Wilmot (Declan O'Brien)
• Interview with SFX/MU Crew Members Gerry Johnston (SFX Supervisor), Peter Mackenzie Litten (SFX Creature Effects), John Schoonraad (SFX Mould Maker) & Rosie Blackmore (Makeup Artist)
• Interview with Cameraman Sean Corcoran
• Interview with Stephen R. Bissette, co-creator of John Constantine, instructor at the Center for Cartoon Studies
• Booklet Essay by Film Historian Kat Ellinger
• Animated Behind-the-Scenes Image Gallery
• Limited Edition Slipcase of the New Poster Art by Sean Phillips
• Reversible Art
• 5.1 Surround Audio
• Original Theatrical Trailer

738329217198.jpg

738329217198_front.jpg

738329217198_back.jpg

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
MisterLime,
I am in protest of the cover design. You have exploited the unfortunate dental work of the beast, as well as using an image from the left side of his face; which, historically, was known to be a profile that was far more pleasing from the right.
Also the Aqua coloring is a bit too bright,
as over 51 years ago I remember seeing the original poster, which was 0000.003% darker.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks