What's new

Official KINO Insider Announcements Thread: STRICTLY MODERATED: READ GUIDELINES (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
David and Bathsheba
The Paradine Case
Duel in the Sun
Night People...

When will all the Gregory Peck announcements end? Hopefully not anytime soon and certainly not before The Gunfighter...

Please keep up the great output, Kino, and for my part, I'll keep up the buying.

Also, the previously released Yellow Sky, The Purple Plain, Billy Two Hats, On the Beach and the DVD release of Moby Dick.

And one more Special Edition to come and most likely more in the future.

We've also added another bonus to the release of The Paradine Case - interviews with Cecilia and Carey Peck.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I guess my original Post didn't take; therefore, I was very glad to see the Post that soon followed from MisterLime.
I have no reservations about Kino's efforts and work on "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly".
And I am certain that Kino knows every nook and cranny and history of all the versions ever released;
both theatrically and on home video.
Now, just one thing MisterLime; is there an official release date for my Day One Purchase?
As a matter of fact, I will do my first-ever Pre-Order with "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly";
just to prove that I'm a believer.
Just point me in the right direction.:popcorn:

We're not sure about the street date yet. We're hoping July, but it could be August. We're hopeful to add a couple of cool extras.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Dozens of people excited, asking questions (I wasn't complaining) and talking in depth about a future release of a blu ray from Kino is a bad thing? Wow...so much for word of mouth publicity. I thought this thread was for future releases and the other thread was for discs already released. They're labelled that way. I guess there's nothing left to say anyways...seems an odd business move to avoid answering legitimate questions directly from your market, but you know best. I look forward to the release, and seeing what Kino has done with this amazing film, thank you.

Actually in the first post on the thread Scott was referring you to, HTF owner Ron Epstein clearly states that "All discussion, reactions and reviews to announced or released Kino product should be discussed in this thread" (emphasis added by me).

I think Scott has been very patient as well as thorough in the answers he has provided to inquiries in this thread.

Either buy the title when it's released or not; if you don't like it, return it for a refund.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
MrLime, do any of the following classics fall within KL's jurisdiction, so to speak?
(most of these released by ABC Pictures)

KOTCH (DVD release was non-anamorphic)
THE FLAMINGO KID (DVD non-anamorphic)
THE HIGH COMMISSIONER (AKA NOBODY RUNS FOREVER)
TAKE THE MONEY & RUN (DVD non-anamorphic)
THE LAST VALLEY (DVD non-anamorphic)
SONG OF NORWAY
THE GRISSOM GANG
THE HEARTBREAK KID (1972)

Personally, I'd be VERY keen on 'Heartbreak Kid' and 'Song of Norway'

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Here's some answers to the questions posted by Lil Brutto

We'll do everything possible to release the best version of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. I'll notify everyone of any further revisions (if any), so please drop this and wait for the release before criticizing an upcoming release no one has seen yet.

1. Original 1967 production company credit is altered
Our release will include the "altered" credit.
2. There is supposed to be a “flip cut” transition/optical wipe from Tuco talking to Blondie (and taking a bite of his cigar) to being hung. The extended version simply cuts instead of doing the flip wipe (most likely because the flip cut was an optical not present in the original negative).
This will most likely be the same as the extended cut
3. There is not supposed to be a fade out on the gun shop owner with the sign in his mouth in the US theatrical cut. It is supposed to cut directly to the shot of the mass exodus of Sibley and his soldiers. Currently the extended cut fades out early to black, meaning it won’t be possible to use the tail end of the gun shop owner shot.
This scene will be as it appeared in the original U.S. theatrical cut
4. The MGM 4K fades out earlier when Blondie passes out and Tuco is bringing him water in the desert. The fade out in the desert scene is supposed to happen approximately 2 to 3 seconds later.
5. The MGM 4K has a dissolve from the night mission scene to the scene of the coach arriving to the mission. In the US theatrical cut, this shot is supposed to fade up from black, but now the dissolve is part of the beginning of the shot.
This scene will be as it appeared in the original U.S. theatrical cut
6. The shot of the train leaving the station (with Tuco and Wallace on it) is longer in the US theatrical cut, before cutting directly to Tuco in the train and not dissolving out earlier to the early morning camp scene like the 4K.

Last edited:

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
MrLime, do any of the following classics fall within KL's jurisdiction, so to speak?
(most of these released by ABC Pictures)

KOTCH (DVD release was non-anamorphic)
THE FLAMINGO KID (DVD non-anamorphic)
THE HIGH COMMISSIONER (AKA NOBODY RUNS FOREVER)
TAKE THE MONEY & RUN (DVD non-anamorphic)
THE LAST VALLEY (DVD non-anamorphic)
SONG OF NORWAY
THE GRISSOM GANG
THE HEARTBREAK KID (1972)

Personally, I'd be VERY keen on 'Heartbreak Kid' and 'Song of Norway'

So you just want to me make a bunch of announcements at once. We're not ready to confirm or deny anything at this point. :)

The Heartbreak Kid is not with Disney, its with the same pharmaceutical company who also owns The Stepford Wives and Sleuth.

Last edited:

Jordan Krug

Stunt Coordinator
Here's some answers to the questions posted by Lil Brutto

We'll do everything possible to release the best version of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. I'll notify everyone of any further revisions (if any), so please drop this and wait for the release before criticizing an upcoming release no one has seen yet.

1. Original 1967 production company credit is altered
Our release will include the "altered" credit.
2. There is supposed to be a “flip cut” transition/optical wipe from Tuco talking to Blondie (and taking a bite of his cigar) to being hung. The extended version simply cuts instead of doing the flip wipe (most likely because the flip cut was an optical not present in the original negative).
3. There is not supposed to be a fade out on the gun shop owner with the sign in his mouth in the US theatrical cut. It is supposed to cut directly to the shot of the mass exodus of Sibley and his soldiers. Currently the extended cut fades out early to black, meaning it won’t be possible to use the tail end of the gun shop owner shot.
This scene will as it appeared in the original U.S. theatrical cut
4. The MGM 4K fades out earlier when Blondie passes out and Tuco is bringing him water in the desert. The fade out in the desert scene is supposed to happen approximately 2 to 3 seconds later.
5. The MGM 4K has a dissolve from the night mission scene to the scene of the coach arriving to the mission. In the US theatrical cut, this shot is supposed to fade up from black, but now the dissolve is part of the beginning of the shot.
This scene will as it appeared in the original U.S. theatrical cut
6. The shot of the train leaving the station (with Tuco and Wallace on it) is longer in the US theatrical cut, before cutting directly to Tuco in the train and not dissolving out earlier to the early morning camp scene like the 4K.

Amazing, thank you very much for the detailed info. Much appreciated.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
So you just want to me make a bunch of announcements at once. We're not ready to confirm or deny anything at this point.

The Heartbreak Kid is not with Disney, its with the same pharmaceutical company who also owns The Stepford Wives and Sleuth.

Wouldn't mind that at all, if once in a while :). Personally, I kind of like Criterion's approach - cryptic clues and bizarre doodles - but I understand everyone has their own approach or style, ofcourse.

Q (for members in general): Has BristolMyers-Squibb always owned those films, or is film/video productn/distribution something BMS got into more recently? When I initially noticed the name next to copyright on back of my "Sleuth" DVD, I wondered if they co-financed the film (ala Quaker for "Willy Wonka") or perhaps bought it when Polamar Pictures folded?

Last edited:

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Wouldn't mind that at all, if once in a while :). Personally, I kind of like Criterion's approach - cryptic clues and bizarre doodles - but I understand everyone has their own approach or style, ofcourse.

Q (for members in general): Has BristolMyers-Squibb always owned those films, or is film/video productn/distribution something BMS got into more recently? When I initially noticed the name next to copyright on back of my "Sleuth" DVD, I wondered if they co-financed the film (ala Quaker for "Willy Wonka") or perhaps bought it when Polamar Pictures folded?

On a good month they release 5 or 6 titles a month. We've released that many or more in a week. The would've slowly leaked out these titles 1 or 2 a month, we've already confirmed a dozen or more.

I think it was a bankruptcy takeover, at least that's what I've heard.

Last edited:

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
On a good month they release 5 or 6 titles a month. We've released that many or more in a week. The would've slowly leaked out these titles 1 or 2 a month, we've already confirmed a dozen or more.

I think it was a bankruptcy takeover, at least that's what I've heard.

True, and I'm sure no one would mind if they produced/ were able to produce more titles per month. On the other hand, Criterion's releases - as with the other "upscale" labels, eg. Arrow, Twilight - being somewhat higher-SRP than average, I (especially at present) can certainly live with things as is.

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I think we should all calm down about GOOD BAD UGLY. Can't we just please wait to see the finished release before we criticize it? I'm sure KINO is doing their very best. They can't please everyone.

Fade-ins and 1/2 second longer scenes are trivial, in my opinion. Yes we want the best darn product, but let KINO do it! And Let Mr. Lime (who I'm sure is at his wits end on this release) get back to announcements.

Great job as always, Mr. Lime! :)

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Coming June 13th on Blu-ray!
A Brand New 4K Restoration!

Night People (1954)
• Interviews with Cecilia Peck, Carey Peck and Tony Peck
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Jeremy Arnold
• Original Theatrical Trailer

View attachment 37585

Hopefully the full 2.55 ar and 4.0 stereo sound with highly directional dialog!

Current DVD from Fox with mono sound.
_night_people_03_dvd.jpg

Australian DVD has more picture info but not the full 2.55 ar, also mono sound and 4% PAL speedup.
Night_People_Australia_DVD_01021.jpg

samkydd

Grip
Real Name
Kevin
I heard about the KL release of my favourite film GBU. I hope it will be better than some of the recent releases. I have read the last 20 or so pages on this thread and agree about some of the concerns on the yellowness of the 4K and the theatrical cut. I won't start going over it all again, just to say I don't think its criticising the release before it comes out as some have suggested. We all want to see the best release and people have been offering suggestions and help to this end. Anyway thanks to misterlime for his posts and info on the points raised by lil brutto. I am looking forward to seeing what the other bonus features are.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I think we should all calm down about GOOD BAD UGLY. Can't we just please wait to see the finished release before we criticize it? They can't please everyone. Fade-ins and 1/2 second longer scenes are trivial, in my opinion.

I agree they're trivial but there is a certain segment that will criticize every possible thing if it doesn't fit their memory or how they perceive it. I mean I've seen complaints like this, "Julia Roberts' dress is forest green, not lime green. Warners should recall the disc and do it properly!" Over the shade of a dress? :lol:

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Coming June 27th on DVD and Blu-ray!

Hell in the Pacific (1968) with optional English subtitles
• Interview with Director John Boorman
• Alternate Ending
• Audio Commentary by Film Historians Travis Crawford and Bill Ackerman
• Interview with Art Director Anthony Pratt
• Reversible Blu-ray Art

738329215088.jpg

738329215088_B.jpg

Last edited:

Carcosa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert Barr
Coming June 6th on DVD and Blu-ray!

Hell in the Pacific (1968) with optional English subtitles
• Interview with Director John Boorman
• Alternate Ending
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Travis Crawford
• Interview with Art Director Anthony Pratt
• Reversible Blu-ray Art

View attachment 37609
View attachment 37610

Super SCORE!

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Coming June 6th! First Time on DVD and Blu-ray!

Zaza (1923) Starring Gloria Swanson - Directed by Allan Dwan
• Piano score composed and performed by Jeff Rapsis, adapted from the original 1923 cue sheet
• Audio commentary by Frederic Lombardi, author of Allan Dwan and the Rise and Decline of the Hollywood Studios
• Booklet essay by film historian Imogen Sara Smith

zaza_bd.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks