What's new

Official KINO Insider Announcements Thread: STRICTLY MODERATED: READ GUIDELINES (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Coming Soon on 3-D/Blu-ray and DVD!
3-D Restoration by 3-D Film Archive!

Cease Fire! (1953) - Directed by Owen Crump
Most 3-D movies of the era used the format to accentuate and exaggerate artifice. CEASE FIRE is the rare production to employ the stereoscopic process to heighten reality, emphasizing the brutality of combat, the vastness of a cold, unfamiliar terrain and the isolation felt by a patrol of valiant fighting men. Part documentary, part drama, part cinéma vérité, the film remains a unique and remarkable achievement.

https://sites.google.com/site/3dfilmarchive/cease-fire

View attachment 37272

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!:dance:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yah, I guess I am surprised. I thought stars didnt mind talking about their pictures, but I guess Im being naive. :/

My two cents, not specific to Kino: keep in mind also that it's a business. A home video label might want to interview a star for a disc, in part thinking having a new interview might help with sales. This might cause the actor to ask to be paid for their interview, and at times, they will sometimes ask for more money than the budget for the entire disc. Other times, because the home video label working on the disc can only afford to pay a certain rate for an interview, the offer to appear on the special features might not even make it to the actor in question; it might be turned down by their agent or business manager before it even gets to them. Sometimes the home video label producing the special features will have a certain window within which they can conduct interviews, and the actor in question is unavailable during that time period. I think, in the abstract, a lot of people enjoy talking about work they've done, but when it comes to the practical arrangements, it might not always be as simple.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Coming Soon on DVD and Blu-ray!

Portrait of Jennie (1948) Starring Jennifer Jones, Joseph Cotten, Ethel Barrymore, Lillian Gish and David Wayne - Directed by William Dieterle

portrait-of-jennie.jpg

Carcosa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert Barr
Coming Soon on DVD and Blu-ray!

Portrait of Jennie (1948) Starring Jennifer Jones, Joseph Cotten, Ethel Barrymore, Lillian Gish and David Wayne - Directed by William Dieterle

View attachment 37284

Kino...thank you SO MUCH! This is a Holy Grail...a film I love dearly...thank you!!!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
To be fair, if someone wanted to interview me about a job I had over thirty years ago, I don't think I'd be interested either. Especially if I was required to do interviews extensively at the time of the job.

Yes, but don't these actors get paid to do these gigs? Had you been offered money to recall an earlier job, wouldn't that have sweetened the deal for you?

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Yes, but don't these actors get paid to do these gigs? Had you been offered money to recall an earlier job, wouldn't that have sweetened the deal for you?

My understanding is that any remuneration that may be offered for commentaries on classic films is minimal. So yes, it might sweeten the deal for me depending on how fondly I looked back on the experience, if I felt the film or my contributions to it merited some oral history, and the current status of my career and my bank account.

Of course, this would apply only to classic films. I presume home video commentaries for contemporary films are negotiated as part of the publicity package.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, Meryl Streep, Cher and Kurt Russell really need the cab fare money that would have induced them to do an interview for Silkwood :) I think Kino Lorber wants to at least try to turn a profit, however minimal, on these blus so I stand to be corrected but anything more than a token payment isn't in the budget. If KL paid these superstars their market price, they'd have to pass it on to we consumers and I can imagine the howling if the MSRP of Silkwood was $59.99!

Last edited:

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
To be fair, if someone wanted to interview me about a job I had over thirty years ago, I don't think I'd be interested either. Especially if I was required to do interviews extensively at the time of the job.

Actors aren't the best people to do commentary tracks in any case. Those I've heard often have a remarkable lack of knowledge or interest in the film making process.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
True, although the commentary for Used Cars is hilarious. Kurt Russell is an exception!

You are so right about Kurt Russell and his USED CARS commentary track. It is a total blast from start to finish. Worth the price of the DVD or Blu by itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks