What's new

Official KINO Insider Announcements Thread: STRICTLY MODERATED: READ GUIDELINES (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
In addition to DUEL IN THE SUN and PARADINE, PORTRAIT OF JENNIE comes to mind.......Not sure if SPIRAL STAIRCASE is owned by ABC.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
First of all, April 18th is going to be a killer day, release-wise! I'll be purchasing all those titles, so I need to start saving up now!
Secondly, great news about getting the ABC, Selznick, Touchstone and Hollywood libraries!
Now we all need to start guessing what their first announcement will be tomorrow.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
Song of the South? :D

I know it's most likely going to be Buena Vista/Touchstone releases and live action films, but one can always hope.

Since we're wishing on a star here, might as well go for broke, ... my wild speculation would be for 3D themepark films like Magic Journeys and Captain EO. I suppose its not part of the listed libraries, - but what the hell!

Last edited:

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
So we don't get ahead of ourselves, here's what I can share with you:

I'm sorry, but at this time, they are not willing to license any title they've released on DVD under their own banners. We have titles from the
ABC, Selznick, Touchstone and Hollywood libraries. This was a package deal, mostly pre-selected, so to get all the gems, we also had to pick up a few lesser titles, but as we know, some of those lesser titles are also regularly requested. :)

Well so much for getting The Parent Trap (1961 and 1998) from Kino. But still hold hope for Six Days & Seven Nights (1998) and Captain Ron (1992).

Real Name
Noach Kowalski
So, what's the story with those titles that Disney released on DVD? I mean, are they planning to release those themselves on BD, or they are promised to another label?

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
So, what's the story with those titles that Disney released on DVD? I mean, are they planning to release those themselves on BD, or they are promised to another label?

You're asking me to figure out major studios :) they may release a few here and there or not. They're not licensing them to anyone else, our bid wasn't the issue. My guess would be as good as yours.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I would go for Six Days Seven Nights myself, I could dump my dvd.

I'm trying to explain this the best I can, but somehow I'm not getting through.

We were not able to icense any films they've released on DVD under their own banner(s) - Buena Vista Home Video, Walt Disney Home Video, Touchstone Home Video, Hollywood Home Video or whatever else company they own.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
THEY SHOOT LIST MAKERS..DONT THEY?.

Ill just say if the ABC films of the 80s are part of the deal it would be great.. SILKWOOD..THE FLAMINGO KID ...IMPULSE...PRIZZIS HONOR and YOUNG DOCTORS in LOVE . Not such a fsn of CLASS REUNION

Would love to see Ingmar Bergmans only English language film THE TOUCH make it. As well as JENNY with a truly wonderful performance from the underrated Marlo Thomas.

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO AUNT ALICE? and THE KILLING OF SISTER GEORGE would be a treat.

LOVERS AND OTHER STRANGERS is a guilty pleasure of mine. For all we know this might be part of the package.

You should have CHARLY and TOO LATE THE HERO as a Cliff Robertson double feature. The first is the film he won the Oscar for and the latter is the one he was making overseas that made him miss the Oscars!

It would be wishful thinking to think that Palomars LAW AND DISORDER would be part of this. Nonetheless its a brilliant film

KOTCH has a hearbreaking performance from Walter Matthau...perhaps his best

And since all of us on tnis board have gone through a gruelling marathon endurance test waiting for these great films ...please let us enjoy one last Gig while we are relatively young. THEY SHOOT HORSES ...DONT THEY?. .the most Oscar nominated film without receiving a Best Picture nomination until Dreamgirls.

EManT2200

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leon
I'm trying to explain this the best I can, but somehow I'm not getting through.

We were not able to icense any films they've released on DVD under their own banner(s) - Buena Vista Home Video, Walt Disney Home Video, Touchstone Home Video, Hollywood Home Video or whatever else company they own.

Dang it !

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
That bodes well for TOUGH GUYS to finally get to disc. Mr. Lime. Does this count the DVDs that went out through Mill Creek and not through any Disney arms?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Wonderful news, indeed. I only wish that NEVER CRY WOLF, THE JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN and SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES had been released under the Touchstone or Hollywood moniker, as I just don't know if any of these will appear otherwise. But the possibility now of getting THEY SHOOT HORSES, SILKWOOD, TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN, PRIZZI'S HONOR, and a bunch of others is wonderful. STAKEOUT and the Bette Midler films would be cool. A better transfer of THE COLOR OF MONEY would be much appreciated.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
That bodes well for TOUGH GUYS to finally get to disc.

Indeed. By my count it is one of 11 theatrically release Touchstone or Hollywood Pictures films that Disney never released on DVD in the US. Here's what I came up with:

Touchstone:

Off Beat (1986)
Tough Guys (1986)
The Rescue (1988)
True Identity (1991)
Little Indian, Big City (1994)
The Jerky Boys (1995)

Hollywood Pictures:

Run (1991)
Passed Away (1992)
The Air Up There (1994)
Shadow Conspiracy (1997)
Firelight (1997)

Others feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about any of these titles, or neglected any that should be added to this list.

So, knowing this, it sounds like the vast majority of these 100+ titles are gonna come from the ABC Pictures and Selznick holdings. Which in and of itself is fantastic news, because many of those old MGM DVDs for the titles are terrible transfers and long OOP.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
The Selzinck's!!!!!!
Hoping for:
- Nothing Sacred (the so much talked about restored version)
- A Star is born
- Made for Each other
- Intermezzo
- Since you went away
- Garden of Allah
- Duel in the sun
- I'll be seeing you
- Paradine case
- Young in the heart
- Ruby Gentry
- Portrait of Jane
- Little Lord Fauntleroy
- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks