What's new

Official KINO Insider Announcements Thread: STRICTLY MODERATED: READ GUIDELINES (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EManT2200

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leon
Most of the Paramount titles mentioned as unreleased I am unfamiliar with. One title that I don't think has been mentioned is "The Matchmaker" with the two Shirleys , Booth and Maclaine .
I would be much more interested in titles released on DVD but not blu such as "The Greatest Show On Earth " "The Naked Jungle", "I Married A Monster From Outer Space", "Three Violent People" and "The Far Horizon" ( Donna Reed as Sacagawea) just to name a few.

I would enjoy having I Married a Monster from Outer Space on blu also. Would be a day one purchase for me.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Not all Regal Films are with Paramount, a few later ones (Gang War, SpaceMaster X-M) are with Fox. Darker Than Amber is with CBS, but in legal hell. Blood and Roses is also unreleased due to some legal issues, the same goes for many of the other titles on this list. Beware My Lovely is with Olive, but they've had problems getting access to the film elements. Two or three of these are with us and one other is with another label.

Thanks much for the info and clarifications, Mr. Lime. Every time I (as an outsider) think I have things logically pinned-down, as far as film rights (ditto for TV series) go, there seems to be yet another twist or turn. What a complex (and sometimes nutty) world the film/media business is! :laugh:

Anyway, I'll be looking forward to seeing (and purchasing) whichever titles do end up getting released under the Kino label (and the one through another company). :cool:

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
You do understand that these would cost the same to remaster as bigger and more deserving films. The best option for these would be DVD releases of the current SD masters.

You are correct. I would love to see these released as DVDs (although some of the Trucolor Roy Rogers titles would look great on Blu-Ray.)

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
Look, if Kino put out the Republic serials on DVD, that would be just as great as Blu Ray. On the other hand, define deserving. There's some very good serials, especially from 1939-1946. And they were a part of the pop culture landscape for decades. Just saying.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
RAGTIME-- One of the last films from Milos Forman not on bluray.

Middle of his career - his 7th feature film. Followed it up with 6 more including Amadeus, Valmont, People vs. Larry Flynt and Man on the Moon. 6 before and 6 after.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
I'm mainly hoping for Paramount's Jivaro (1954) as a 3D Blu-ray release.

As far as general Paramount films, that weren't already released on domestic DVD (thus wouldn't fall under Warner Bros deal with the studio), I'm holding out some hope for:

Back from the Dead (1957) -- a Regal Films pickup, like Olive Films' She Devil ('57)
Bliss of Mrs. Blossom, The (1968)
Blood and Roses (1960)
Boy Ten Feet Tall, A (1963, a.k.a. "Sammy Going South") --unless WB has domestic rights
Crosswinds (1951)
Darker Than Amber (1970)
Fear Is the Key (1972)
Fraulein Doktor (1969)
Gang War (1958) - Regal Films**
Gunn (1967)
Hell's Island (1955)
Hong Kong (1952)
Klansman, The (1974)
Last Outpost, The (1951)
Only When I Larf (1968)
Psychopath, The (1966)
Redhead and the Cowboy, The (1951)
Secret of the Incas (1954)
Space Master X-7 (1958) - Regal Films**
Swinger, The (1966)
Tropic Zone (1953)
Turning Point, The (1952)
Unknown Terror, The (1957) - Regal Films
Unman, Wittering and Zigo (1971)
Where's Jack? (1969)
Young Captives, The (1959)

--And, from the Republic library, if Olive Films doesn't already have a lock on them:

Beware My Lovely (1952)
Bullwhip (1958)
Cheaters, The (1945) --a good, forgotten Christmas movie
Cruel Tower, The (1956)
Daredevils of the Red Circle (1939, Serial)
Fighting Devil Dogs (1938, Serial)
Finger Man, The (1955)
Girls Town (1959)
Hoppity Goes to Town (1941, animated)*
Jennifer (1953)
Jungle Girl (1941, Serial) - an upgrade from VCI's out-of-print release of a UK print
Masked Marvel, The (1943, Serial)
Mysterious Doctor Satan (1940, Serial)
Perils of Nyoka, The (1942, Serial)
Spy Smasher (1942, Serial)
Strange Intruder (1956)

--As well as collections of the remaining Fleischer Studios cartoons and George Pal Puppetoons that Paramount has in its vaults.

* Edit: Hoppity Goes to Town is already being worked on for a future legit release by Thunderbean Animation, which I had read about a little while back at the Cartoon Research site, but had forgotten in my haste to post my Paramount/Republic want list here. :oops:

** Edit: Space Master X-7 is still with Fox, and Gang War just got a MOD release... d'oh! :wacko:
As an Alistair MacLean fan, KLSC's already made me very happy with The Satan Bug, Breakheart Pass, and When Eight Bells Toll.....so I'd love to see Fear is the Key if it's part of the deal! And Bear Island if you could get the rights to it!

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
As an Alistair MacLean fan, KLSC's already made me very happy with The Satan Bug, Breakheart Pass, and When Eight Bells Toll.....so I'd love to see Fear is the Key if it's part of the deal! And Bear Island if you could get the rights to it!

Fear is the Key was not available - Bear Island is with Sony.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
More than a dozen of these are in legal hell and a couple are no longer with Paramount.

Great news! I believe the list will be culled from Paramount titles that have never been released on DVD as any that have are up for grabs by Warner (Lifeguard among others have been rereleased by Warner) or Paramount proper. It seems many of the Legend released titles are with Olive as are the older titles. Some of the boutique titles may end up with Criterion (The Day of the Locust, The Tenant). There were Paramount titles never released on DVD that Kino may have snagged as they seem to have luck with reinstated originalusic(Love at First Bite) into releases that were cost prohibitive for Paramount to release. These would (hopefully) include AMERICAN HOT WAX, IT CAME FROM HOLLYWOOD, LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR, LEADBELLY, BUGSY MALONE and LITTLE DARLINGS. I can also see titles that were streamed such as THIEVES, THE LAWYER, UNMAN WITTERING AND ZIGO, SHEILA LEVINE, THE KLANSMAN, GOING APE and FIRST LOVE as they each head trials. The VHS Onlies A SEPERATE PEACE, ASH WEDNEDAY, APPRENTICESHIP OF DUDDY KRAVITZ, THE DOVE ,GAS, DESPERATE CHARACTERS ,SUNBURN, BLOODLINE, PLAYERS, CITIZENS BAND, PHOBIA , COAST TO COAST, THE MAN WHO WASNT THERE and possible double featured FRIENDS & PAUL AND MICHELLE. The few unseen scalawags that remain unseen in any format thus far are SCALAWAG, BEEN DOWN SO LONG IT SEEMS UP TO ME, TOUGH GUYS and FRATERNITY ROW. The true question is does Paraamount, Olive, Criterion or Kino now hold the key to THE KEEP?

Thank You. Certainly the first 1/2 dozen. This would have been a 40th Anni for Bugsy Malone a film that I think hasnt been on DVD because it never was a popular hit in the States. GOODBARs 40th is next year. What was once deemed to be One of the Geatest Films of All Time and An Important Film could not exist without its perfect soundtrack. AMERICAN HOT WAX seems hopeless at this point.

A Seperate Peace with its literary pedigree; The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz with the vastly underrated Richard Dreyfuss performance; Bloodline with its romance/thriller bloodline that always sells and especially Demmes Citizens Band/Handle With Care which struggled as much in its theatrical life as it has on video. And yet its a great film. These are the surprise omissions.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Middle of his career - his 7th feature film. Followed it up with 6 more including Amadeus, Valmont, People vs. Larry Flynt and Man on the Moon. 6 before and 6 after.
What I meant was it was his only film I believe not available on bluray.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I don't know how much hope there is, but it's worth asking just the same: with your new deal with Paramount, is there any hope for Let's Dance with Fred Astaire and Betty Hutton, or Mr. Music with Bing Crosby coming out on Blu-ray?
In addition to these two films, I also forgot to ask about The Pleasure Of His Company (also starring Fred Astaire). Is there any hope for any of these three films (or any musicals from the 50s)? Also, if you can't tell me about these, can you tell me whether you have announced everything in your deal with Fox, or are there more on the horizon?

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
The deal includes some silent films, two serials and a few 3-D films.

Two serials? Really??? On Blu Ray hopefully???

While I'm always excited for any and all vintage 3-D films, tell your bosses they just got two guarranteed sales!

I hope there's more serials than just two, but hey, I'll take them (he said hoping one was Haunted Harbor and the other Mysterious Doctor Satan)!

Oh, and of course the 3-D movies are already to be considered purchased.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
I've bought both The Invisible Monster and Flying Disc Man From Mars serials Blu-Rays from Olive Films. I'll also be purchasing the Commando Cody serial Blu-Ray too.

I'd much rather see serials on Blu-Ray than DVD.

EManT2200

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leon
I've bought both The Invisible Monster and Flying Disc Man From Mars serials Blu-Rays from Olive Films. I'll also be purchasing the Commando Cody serial Blu-Ray too.

I'd much rather see serials on Blu-Ray than DVD.

Same here, I also own the same 2 blus that you mentioned, and have also pre-ordered Commando Cody. Hoping to see Radar Men from the Moon hit blu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks