What's new

Official KINO Insider Announcements Thread: STRICTLY MODERATED: READ GUIDELINES (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
It sounds like these are exactly the titles they've been able to license at this time.

Hmm....now to figure out what those titles could be....
sherlockholmes.gif

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I'm mainly hoping for Paramount's Jivaro (1954) as a 3D Blu-ray release.

As far as general Paramount films, that weren't already released on domestic DVD (thus wouldn't fall under Warner Bros deal with the studio), I'm holding out some hope for:

Back from the Dead (1957) -- a Regal Films pickup, like Olive Films' She Devil ('57)
Bliss of Mrs. Blossom, The (1968)
Blood and Roses (1960)
Boy Ten Feet Tall, A (1963, a.k.a. "Sammy Going South") --unless WB has domestic rights
Crosswinds (1951)
Darker Than Amber (1970)
Fear Is the Key (1972)
Fraulein Doktor (1969)
Gang War (1958) - Regal Films**
Gunn (1967)
Hell's Island (1955)
Hong Kong (1952)
Klansman, The (1974)
Last Outpost, The (1951)
Only When I Larf (1968)
Psychopath, The (1966)
Redhead and the Cowboy, The (1951)
Secret of the Incas (1954)
Space Master X-7 (1958) - Regal Films**
Swinger, The (1966)
Tropic Zone (1953)
Turning Point, The (1952)
Unknown Terror, The (1957) - Regal Films
Unman, Wittering and Zigo (1971)
Where's Jack? (1969)
Young Captives, The (1959)

--And, from the Republic library, if Olive Films doesn't already have a lock on them:

Beware My Lovely (1952)
Bullwhip (1958)
Cheaters, The (1945) --a good, forgotten Christmas movie
Cruel Tower, The (1956)
Daredevils of the Red Circle (1939, Serial)
Fighting Devil Dogs (1938, Serial)
Finger Man, The (1955)
Girls Town (1959)
Hoppity Goes to Town (1941, animated)*
Jennifer (1953)
Jungle Girl (1941, Serial) - an upgrade from VCI's out-of-print release of a UK print
Masked Marvel, The (1943, Serial)
Mysterious Doctor Satan (1940, Serial)
Perils of Nyoka, The (1942, Serial)
Spy Smasher (1942, Serial)
Strange Intruder (1956)

--As well as collections of the remaining Fleischer Studios cartoons and George Pal Puppetoons that Paramount has in its vaults.

* Edit: Hoppity Goes to Town is already being worked on for a future legit release by Thunderbean Animation, which I had read about a little while back at the Cartoon Research site, but had forgotten in my haste to post my Paramount/Republic want list here. :oops:

** Edit: Space Master X-7 is still with Fox, and Gang War just got a MOD release... d'oh! :wacko:

Last edited:

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Great news! I believe the list will be culled from Paramount titles that have never been released on DVD as any that have are up for grabs by Warner (Lifeguard among others have been rereleased by Warner) or Paramount proper. It seems many of the Legend released titles are with Olive as are the older titles. Some of the boutique titles may end up with Criterion (The Day of the Locust, The Tenant). There were Paramount titles never released on DVD that Kino may have snagged as they seem to have luck with reinstated originalusic(Love at First Bite) into releases that were cost prohibitive for Paramount to release. These would (hopefully) include AMERICAN HOT WAX, IT CAME FROM HOLLYWOOD, LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR, LEADBELLY, BUGSY MALONE and LITTLE DARLINGS. I can also see titles that were streamed such as THIEVES, THE LAWYER, UNMAN WITTERING AND ZIGO, SHEILA LEVINE, THE KLANSMAN, GOING APE and FIRST LOVE as they each head trials. The VHS Onlies A SEPERATE PEACE, ASH WEDNEDAY, APPRENTICESHIP OF DUDDY KRAVITZ, THE DOVE ,GAS, DESPERATE CHARACTERS ,SUNBURN, BLOODLINE, PLAYERS, CITIZENS BAND, PHOBIA , COAST TO COAST, THE MAN WHO WASNT THERE and possible double featured FRIENDS & PAUL AND MICHELLE. The few unseen scalawags that remain unseen in any format thus far are SCALAWAG, BEEN DOWN SO LONG IT SEEMS UP TO ME, TOUGH GUYS and FRATERNITY ROW. The true question is does Paraamount, Olive, Criterion or Kino now hold the key to THE KEEP?

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
I'm in for any Republic serials but would also love to see some multi-disc releases of some of Republic's B-westerns (Allan "Rocky" Lane, Wild Bill Elliott, Sunset Carson, etc.) similar to what Warner Archive has been doing with their Monogram Cowboy Collection series. I've been watching many of these on Amazon Prime and they look great. However, all Republic titles and many Paramount titles (the Pine-Thomas films) are listed as expiring at the end of August.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
My question is this: if Warner Bros. is only able to release DVD's of earlier, now OOP Paramount DVD's, why can't Blu-rays be released by someone else (like KIno)? Hundreds of highly desirable titles are languishing now because no Blu-ray deal has been made, except through very occasional releases through Criterion and Olive. I understand MisterLime is unable to be specific about their arrangement with Paramount, but I hope it can include Blu-rays of titles that have thus far received only DVD treatment, even if Warner Bros. has licensed them for DVD.

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Do masters for THOSE REDHEADS FROM SEATTLE and JIVARO already exist since they were shown at the World 3D Expo?

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
@J. Casey

Digital 3-D Masters don't exist for either of them.

Both films were shown in Dual-35mm during the 3-D Expo.

Jivaro does have a 2D HD master that can be streamed through Vudu. I'm not sure if an HD master exists at all for Redheads.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I'm mainly hoping for Paramount's Jivaro (1954) as a 3D Blu-ray release.

As far as general Paramount films, that weren't already released on domestic DVD (thus wouldn't fall under Warner Bros deal with the studio), I'm holding out some hope for:

Back from the Dead (1957) -- a Regal Films pickup, like Olive Films' She Devil ('57)
Bliss of Mrs. Blossom, The (1968)
Blood and Roses (1960)
Boy Ten Feet Tall, A (1963, a.k.a. "Sammy Going South") --unless WB has domestic rights
Crosswinds (1951)
Darker Than Amber (1970)
Fear Is the Key (1972)
Fraulein Doktor (1969)
Gang War (1958) - Regal Films
Gunn (1967)
Hell's Island (1955)
Hong Kong (1952)
Klansman, The (1974)
Last Outpost, The (1951)
Only When I Larf (1968)
Psychopath, The (1966)
Redhead and the Cowboy, The (1951)
Secret of the Incas (1954)
Space Master X-7 (1958) - Regal Films
Swinger, The (1966)
Tropic Zone (1953)
Turning Point, The (1952)
Unknown Terror, The (1957) - Regal Films
Unman, Wittering and Zigo (1971)
Where's Jack? (1969)
Young Captives, The (1959)

--And, from the Republic library, if Olive Films doesn't already have a lock on them:

Beware My Lovely (1952)
Bullwhip (1958)
Cheaters, The (1945) --a good, forgotten Christmas movie
Cruel Tower, The (1956)
Daredevils of the Red Circle (1939, Serial)
Fighting Devil Dogs (1938, Serial)
Finger Man, The (1955)
Girls Town (1959)
Hoppity Goes to Town (1941, animated)*
Jennifer (1953)
Jungle Girl (1941, Serial) - an upgrade from VCI's out-of-print release of a UK print
Masked Marvel, The (1943, Serial)
Mysterious Doctor Satan (1940, Serial)
Perils of Nyoka, The (1942, Serial)
Spy Smasher (1942, Serial)
Strange Intruder (1956)

--As well as collections of the remaining Fleischer Studios cartoons and George Pal Puppetoons that Paramount has in its vaults.

* Edit: already being worked on for a future legit release by Thunderbean Animation, which I had read about a little while back at the Cartoon Research site, but had forgotten in my haste to post my Paramount/Republic want list here. :oops:

Not all Regal Films are with Paramount, a few later ones (Gang War, SpaceMaster X-M) are with Fox. Darker Than Amber is with CBS, but in legal hell. Blood and Roses is also unreleased due to some legal issues, the same goes for many of the other titles on this list. Beware My Lovely is with Olive, but they've had problems getting access to the film elements. Two or three of these are with us and one other is with another label.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Great news! I believe the list will be culled from Paramount titles that have never been released on DVD as any that have are up for grabs by Warner (Lifeguard among others have been rereleased by Warner) or Paramount proper. It seems many of the Legend released titles are with Olive as are the older titles. Some of the boutique titles may end up with Criterion (The Day of the Locust, The Tenant). There were Paramount titles never released on DVD that Kino may have snagged as they seem to have luck with reinstated originalusic(Love at First Bite) into releases that were cost prohibitive for Paramount to release. These would (hopefully) include AMERICAN HOT WAX, IT CAME FROM HOLLYWOOD, LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR, LEADBELLY, BUGSY MALONE and LITTLE DARLINGS. I can also see titles that were streamed such as THIEVES, THE LAWYER, UNMAN WITTERING AND ZIGO, SHEILA LEVINE, THE KLANSMAN, GOING APE and FIRST LOVE as they each head trials. The VHS Onlies A SEPERATE PEACE, ASH WEDNEDAY, APPRENTICESHIP OF DUDDY KRAVITZ, THE DOVE ,GAS, DESPERATE CHARACTERS ,SUNBURN, BLOODLINE, PLAYERS, CITIZENS BAND, PHOBIA , COAST TO COAST, THE MAN WHO WASNT THERE and possible double featured FRIENDS & PAUL AND MICHELLE. The few unseen scalawags that remain unseen in any format thus far are SCALAWAG, BEEN DOWN SO LONG IT SEEMS UP TO ME, TOUGH GUYS and FRATERNITY ROW. The true question is does Paraamount, Olive, Criterion or Kino now hold the key to THE KEEP?

More than a dozen of these are in legal hell and a couple are no longer with Paramount.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I'm in for any Republic serials but would also love to see some multi-disc releases of some of Republic's B-westerns (Allan "Rocky" Lane, Wild Bill Elliott, Sunset Carson, etc.) similar to what Warner Archive has been doing with their Monogram Cowboy Collection series. I've been watching many of these on Amazon Prime and they look great. However, all Republic titles and many Paramount titles (the Pine-Thomas films) are listed as expiring at the end of August.

You do understand that these would cost the same to remaster as bigger and more deserving films. The best option for these would be DVD releases of the current SD masters.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Most of the Paramount titles mentioned as unreleased I am unfamiliar with. One title that I don't think has been mentioned is "The Matchmaker" with the two Shirleys , Booth and Maclaine .
I would be much more interested in titles released on DVD but not blu such as "The Greatest Show On Earth " "The Naked Jungle", "I Married A Monster From Outer Space", "Three Violent People" and "The Far Horizon" ( Donna Reed as Sacagawea) just to name a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks