What's new

Official KINO Insider Announcements Thread: STRICTLY MODERATED: READ GUIDELINES (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Coming in June From Kino Lorber Studio Classics - The Critically Acclaimed Sleeper Hit of 1986 and Its 1991 Sequel - To Be Released Separately and only on Blu-ray!

F/X (1986) - Starring Bryan Brown, Brian Dennehy, Diane Venora, Cliff De Young, Mason Adams, Jerry Orbach & Tom Noonan - Directed by Robert Mandel.

F/X2 (1991) - Starring Bryan Brown, Brian Dennehy, Rachel Ticotin, Joanna Gleason, Philip Bosco & Kevin J. O'Connor - Directed by Richard Franklin.

Attachments

• FX.jpg
    FX.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 52

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
TheBat said:
anyone know who owns the rights to the 1989 movie called: scandal with John Hurt, Joanne Whalley, Bridget Fonda?

thanks.

Jacob
Disney or Lionsgate. It was an old Miramax release and some of those are with Lionsgate and others with Disney.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Ken Koc said:
Mr Lime Is there any chance that TARAS BULBA could be properly rereleased with its stereo sound?
Where does it say it was stereo film? The film was released in 1962 and the original audio is mono.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
MisterLime said:
Disney or Lionsgate. It was an old Miramax release and some of those are with Lionsgate and others with Disney.

I sent you a PM about one of your current titles that will be released. I hope you got the message.

Thank you.

Jacob

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
These complaints about Taras Bulba seem to ignore the fact that the visuals on the Kino BD are quite stunning. I bought it for the film, which looks just fabulous in this release. If you're only interested in the music, just buy the brilliant Tadlow rerecording of a few years back.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Tales-of-Terror1.png

Pertaining to the AIP Roger Corman Edgar Allan Poe film series Kino seems to have picked up the ball in its continuance from your competitors with the impending bluray releases of THE PREMATURE BURIAL (1962) and TALES OF TERROR (1962).

When it comes to genre films more specifically horror movies I tend to be on the "conservative" side in my appreciation (much) preferring the aesthically satisfying classics with established reliable acting talents such as Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Boris Karloff, Basil Rathbone, Lon Chaney, Jr. and the like.

While strictly not associated with the horror genre Ray Milland was exactly right as the eloquently urbane Guy Carrell in THE PREMATURE BURIAL (1962) and a most welcome change-of-pace. Hazel Court was an absolute goddess (in my mind's eye).

TALES OF TERROR (1962) boasts two especially strong (or powerful) performances by series "newcomers" Peter Lorre and Basil Rathbone while Vincent Price impressively displays his acting prowess in three engaging roles (Vincent Price times three) albeit he is somewhat overshadowed by the solid ensemble cast and engrosing turn-of-events in his more delimiting part (as a bedridden ailing old man) which hardly taxed his considerable abilities in "The Case of M. Valdemar."

In addition to X, THE MAN WITH THE X-RAY EYES (1963), BLACK SUNDAY (1960) and the U.S. release of BLACK SABBATH (1964) these are the "biggies" from Kino that I am anxiously looking forward to.

Keep up the exceptional work!

Jeff T.

:D

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
MisterLime said:
Special Features - Three Upcoming Releases

TALES OF TERROR (DVD & BLU-RAY)
• New Interview with Producer/Director Roger Corman
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian, Tim Lucas
• Audio Commentary by Vincent Price Historian, David Del Valle & Actor David Frankham
• "Trailers From Hell" by Roger Corman
• Original Theatrical Trailer

I'm looking forward to TALES OF TERROR. I reviewed the Shout! Vincent Price box sets for HTF and I was impressed with David Del Valle's commentaries

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT FROM KINO LORBER:

Occasionally we come across movies long overdue for DVD release, but for which high-quality HD masters cannot be made (due to the inaccessibility of the original film elements or unreasonable lab costs). Rather than allow these films to linger in obscurity, Kino Lorber Classics has decided to resurrect a group of these titles in a DVD collection. Please note that these DVDs will be fully-authored and factory-replicated discs (not burn-on-demand DVD-Rs), utilizing existing SD masters created by major studios in the 1990s. They may not look as impressive as films mastered with today's technology but, under the economic challenges of the current marketplace, it is the only way these films will see the light of the video screen. Kino Lorber shares this information with our loyal customer base, knowing that you understand the aesthetic nuances of mastering, and appreciate having this level of information when making the decision whether to purchase a product. Hopefully, this will the first of many similar releases...

The RANK NOIR 5-Disc boxed set will include five British classics making their American home entertainment debuts:: Ralph Thomas’ THE ASSASSIN (1952) with Richard Todd and Eva Bartok and featuring a haunting score by Nino Rota – Ronald Neame’s THE GOLDEN SALAMANDER (1950) with Trevor Howard, Anouk Aimee, Herbert Lom and Wilfrid Hyde-White – Roy Ward Baker’s THE OCTOBER MAN (1948) with John Mills, Joan Greenwood and Kay Walsh – David MacDonald’s SNOWBOUND (1948) with Robert Newton, Dennis Price, Stanley Holloway, Herbert Lom and Guy Middleton – Carl Lamac’s THEY MET IN THE DARK (1943) with James Mason, Joyce Howard, Tom Walls and David Farrar.

Attachments

• ITV.jpg
    ITV.jpg
    645.2 KB · Views: 46

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Douglas R said:
The 70 mm blow up had 6 track stereo. Previously released DVDs have had the stereo tracks.
Please, this is not to create or stoke controversy. Last week I watched the MGMHD transmission of Taras Bulba, and I detected directional sound effects and music. I know the laser disc had stereo tracks as well. This is just for information, not to create a war of words or opinions.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Very good news, I've seen most of these fine Rank films, but never thought they would be available for purchase here.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Wow! What an exciting and eclectic mix of titles!

One title I've been dying to get in its proper form is High Risk, a little gem from 1981. It was one of several movies released by the long-defunct Hemdale during the 70s/80s. I believe all/most of their films belong to MGM now, which is why I'm hoping Kino might take a look at this title. It's been on VHS and a few bargain-bin DVDs over the years, but always edited, cropped and with the worst transfer I've ever seen.

Directed by Stewart Raffill (Wilderness Family, The Sea Gypsies, The Philadelphia Experiment), it's an underrated action film starring James Brolin, Ernest Borgnine, James Coburn, Lindsay Wagner, Cleavon Little, Bruce Davison and Anthony Quinn. With that cast, it still amazes me that it's never seen a proper release in any format after all these years. The VHS and DVD releases all had a 10-minute sequence inexplicably cut from its theatrical version (also shown on HBO in the early 80s).

Keep up the great work, and I look forward to many of your titles this year!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Well, the titles already revealed and the ones we can speculate about are mouthwatering. It's so great to have smaller companies taking up the enormous slack left by disinterested studios.

As you say you will be releasing further AIP titles, I wonder if you have access to FRITZ THE CAT, a Ralph Bakshi animated film oddly missing on Blu-ray, as it was a hit in 1972 (although the X rating -- later changed to R -- kept it from many potential ticket buyers), and because some of his less popular works (FIRE AND ICE and WIZARDS) are available. The film was re-issued by AIP after an original release distributed by Cinemation. I do not know who currently holds the rights, but I am hoping AIP does.

Classic Horror Film Boards has interpreted a photo left as a clue (by someone named Scorpion) as suggesting a Blu-ray release of BURN WITCH BURN, which many of us are hoping will see the light of day. The photo, of the eagle sculpture that features so prominently in the climax of the film, is clearly from that movie. I do not know if "Scorpion" is an insider or what, but can you confirm this title, or would you prefer to wait?

Many thanks.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Dick said:
Well, the titles already revealed and the ones we can speculate about are mouthwatering. It's so great to have smaller companies taking up the enormous slack left by disinterested studios.

As you say you will be releasing further AIP titles, I wonder if you have access to FRITZ THE CAT, a Ralph Bakshi animated film oddly missing on Blu-ray, as it was a hit in 1972 (although the X rating -- later changed to R -- kept it from many potential ticket buyers), and because some of his less popular works (FIRE AND ICE and WIZARDS) are available. The film was re-issued by AIP after an original release distributed by Cinemation. I do not know who currently holds the rights, but I am hoping AIP does.

Classic Horror Film Boards has interpreted a photo left as a clue (by someone named Scorpion) as suggesting a Blu-ray release of BURN WITCH BURN, which many of us are hoping will see the light of day. The photo, of the eagle sculpture that features so prominently in the climax of the film, is clearly from that movie. I do not know if "Scorpion" is an insider or what, but can you confirm this title, or would you prefer to wait?

Many thanks.
Dick, "Scorpion" is Scorpion Releasing, another boutique label that releases BD's and DVD of a lot of niche titles. They are releasing "Firepower", "David and Lisa" and a lot of other title. Scorpion is somehow involved with Kino and makes "recommendations" to Kino on titles from time to time. Scorpion Releasing posts on that other forum a lot, also on Facebook. Burn Witch Burn has pretty much been confirmed by Scorpion on their Facebook page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks