What's new

*** Official KICK-ASS Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
After reading this review, I cannot wait to see this movie!

Warning, this review contains spoilers

http://movies.ign.com/articles/107/1076231p1.html

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Now that's a good review. I had email from a friend living in London who told me it's the best film they've seen this year. That's good enough for me. I'm there.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Steve Christou

And yes, Chloe Moretz as Hit-Girl steals the show, a foul-mouthed little girl...
Does Hit Girl use lots of bad words that start with the letter 'C'? Not that I need to hear profanity during a movie but I'm wondering if they keep her language close to the comic book version of the character or if they tone it down (somewhat) since American audiences might be a little sensitive to those words... especially when uttered by a child.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Chloe uses the 'C' word once at the beginning and she says 'fuck' a few times and 'motherfuckers' later. But it's that C word that has people bothered here in the UK, apparently her mother insisted she say it, because the scene was more effective, and hilarious, with that word. The last thing you'd expect to hear coming out of a 12 year old girls mouth. The fact she kills a lot of people in the film, in nasty ways (chopping one guys leg off before stabbing him to death) doesn't bother people as much as her saying those words.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Steve Christou

Foul language from a twelve-year old mouth is disturbing, but the commission of brutal acts of violence by the same twelve-year old are no big deal. It just shows how bizarre people's sensibilities can be. It is like the time I saw "Under Siege" on TV. The foul language was modified and the 20 second titty shot was cut completely, but every act of brutal violence was left intact. It just made me laugh at how stupid censorship can be.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I know, it's crazy. Her vengeance-seeking father, played by Nic Cage, is a bad influence on the little girl, here's sample dialogue between the two, which had people laughing in the cinema -

Big Daddy: So... Have you thought a little more about what you might want for your birthday?

Hit-Girl: Can I get a puppy?

Big Daddy: You wanna get a dog?

Hit-Girl: Yeah, a cuddly fluffy one, and a Bratz movie-star make over Sasha! [laughs] I'm just fucking with you Daddy... I'd love a bench made model 42 butterfly knife!

Big Daddy: [relieved] Oh, child... You always knock me for a loop!

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
Originally Posted by TravisR

Does Hit Girl use lots of bad words that start with the letter 'C'? Not that I need to hear profanity during a movie but I'm wondering if they keep her language close to the comic book version of the character or if they tone it down (somewhat) since American audiences might be a little sensitive to those words... especially when uttered by a child.
Actually, she uses at least two that begin with the letter 'C' - one female-related and the other male. I was at the Kick-Ass panel @ WonderCon this past weekend and Chloe Moretz, the actress who portrays Hit-Girl (aka Mindy Macready), appears to be simply the sweetest, cutest little girl you could meet. It makes the role she plays that more shocking if anything (and hilarious to boot.) She seems like a brilliant child actress with impeccable comedic timing (and I generally loathe child stars in cinema) - I definitely look foward to her future career in film.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Actually , I was kind of disturbed when I first saw clips of extreme violence involving the little girl. Much more so than by any bad language.

I'll probably check out the movie at some point anyway, based on the good word-of-mouth.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Actually , I was kind of disturbed when I first saw clips of extreme violence involving the little girl. Much more so than by any bad language."

Naw. Little girl kicking ass to the Banana Splits theme? Awesomeness![/COLOR]

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I read some "parent groups" are boycotting this film because the 13 year old uses the C word. Are you kidding me? All I can say is HAHA. Parent groups boycotting a, *gasp*, rated R movie??? Oh gee. What is the world coming to when parents can't take their 10 year olds to see rated R movies?? The horror.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Steve_Tk

I read some "parent groups" are boycotting this film because the 13 year old uses the C word. Are you kidding me? All I can say is HAHA. Parent groups boycotting a, *gasp*, rated R movie??? Oh gee. What is the world coming to when parents can't take their 10 year olds to see rated R movies?? The horror.
Phew, I'm glad they informed me. Despite the R rating for "strong brutal violence throughout, pervasive language, sexual content, nudity and some drug use - some involving children", I was going to take my 4 year old daughter and her friends to see it this weekend but now I know better.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
On a side note, every time I glance down the topic list and see this topic title, my mind automatically translates it to "Kiss-Ass".

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Steve_Tk

I read some "parent groups" are boycotting this film because the 13 year old uses the C word.
It's just so hypocritical to me that these supposed moral watchdog groups use films like Kick-Ass to publicize their groups and in turn knowingly publicize the movie that they purportedly don't want anyone to see. The producers of the movie are probably like, "thanks for the free publicity! And thanks for taking the bait!"

Like I said, if they were smart, they wouldn't go after a smaller film like this. But they're too enamored with seeing their names in the press to truly be concerned.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Steve Christou /forum/thread/295681/kick-ass/30#post_3681100

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Kick-Ass". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Kick-Ass" should be posted to the
[COLOR= #44708c]Official Review Thread[/COLOR].

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christou /forum/thread/299816/official-kick-ass-discussion-thread#post_3677962

That's kind of interesting, in that the 'C' word is much less of a big deal in the UK than in the US.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Yeah, that's true. Same with the word "twat" -- it's kind of minor league epithet in the UK, but in the US, it's much higher up the food chain.

OTOH, "shagged" wouldn't even get the FCC to raise an eyebrow in the US, but it's much more racy in the UK. There were issues with the title, "The Spy Who Shagged Me" in the UK, requiring posters and ads with alternate titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks