*** Official "K-19: THE WIDOWMAKER" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Crawford, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "K-19: The Widowmaker". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
    All HTF member film reviews of "K-19: The Widowmaker" should be posted to this thread.
    Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
    Crawdaddy

2. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Harrison Ford is making the rounds on the talk-shows, and I have to tell you I'm not all that impressed from the clips.

The one thing that really annoys me are the accents. Why bother putting on Russian accents if they're speaking English? If they establish in the plot that it's a Russian sub I think it's safe to assume that's what they're speaking.

I'd rather have them not bother than listen to Liam Neeson's atrocious Irish/Russian accent. It was so funny on the few seconds of clip they showed I couldn't help but laugh. Harrison Ford's isn't much better.

Just let them speak naturally, or have them do it all in Russian phonetically. God forbid we should have subtitles in a major Hollywood produced film. Stop with the accents unless it furthers the story. People are not stupid! (well most of us aren't).

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The only thing that is tugging at me to go see this film is that it's directed by Kathryn Bigelow, otherwise, I'd skip it altogether. So I'll probably go see it and give it a review.

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    From the trailer's, this looks to be a "Hunt for Red October" copycat. If so, I'll pass, if not, I'll go. Depends on how the review's come in on this one.
    One turn off already is Ford's completely poor Russian accent.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

5. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Was watching the HBO original film Hostile Waters. Based on the trailer for K19, I think they're based on the same subject. Does anyone know? HW was covering the K-219 boat.
    If it is the same story, Ron has nothing to worry about. It's more a triumph over adversity story than HfRO's action adventure.

6. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

I really hate to say this about a Harrison Ford movie, but judging from the trailers, this film looks alarmingly crappy. I can understand Neeson doing a russian accent, but Ford? He's an american icon. Although not impossible, it's hard to break such an ingrained stereotype. I will be quite surprised if the film recieves heaps of critical acclaim. I'm usually good at predicting this kind of thing.

nathan

7. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

I saw it last night and it's just an average submarine movie. Passable enough entertainment to watch once but I wasn't very captivated with it and certaintly wouldn't pay to see it again. It's also 2 hrs and 15 minutes long and really slow. Nothing much happens aside from the usual sub stuff. Worth seeing once but certaintly not in the same league as the great Das Boot and Hunt for Red October and to a lesser degree the fun U-571. This film never approaches any of them.

As for the accents, they got on my nerves quickly.

8. Jon_W

Jon_W Stunt Coordinator

I wasn't aware that U-571 or The Hunt For Red October were in the same league as Das Boot [​IMG]

9. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

Look above.. I clarified my original post somewhat.

Das Boot remains the best sub movie and I liked Hunt for Red October and U-571 quite a bit even though I'm not big on sub movies in general.

Just one man's thoughts.

10. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Wait until The Enemy Below comes out on DVD this fall.....

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Actually, I thought there was a lot of emotional content in this film. You do wind up caring for the crew of this submarine. Some of the music could have been toned down, there was just too much of it at certain spots, mainly when they show the sub on the water.

12. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

Not too many comments on this thread.

I saw K-19 on saturday and I liked it. It was that much more appealing knowing that it was based on true events. Heck of performances by both Ford and Neeson. The supporting cast was pretty good too. They made me care for them.

Not your typical all out, torpedo blasting, action packed submarine movie but a good one nonetheless.

13. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Not many people (relatively speaking, $13M this weekend) saw it. It was a thumbs-up for me. I'd definitely rank 'em:
    Das Boot
    Hunt For Red October
    K-19
    U-571
    (Not sure where Operation Petticoat fits in [​IMG] )

14. Craig P

Craig P Stunt Coordinator

I generally noticed the film, but there were some technical details that really nagged at me -- they seem obvious enough that I can only call them gaffes, no doubt made by technically ignorant writers trying to spice up the story.
    • I can't buy the political officer going against Ford's captain (I'm afraid I forgot his name) in that situation. The political officer is the ultimate political animal, he could be expected to be at least as ridiculously political as the guys back in Moscow. He would never, never, never support going to the Americans over trying to rescue the boat, possibly at the cost of the lives of the crew. I could conceive of an attempted mutiny, but I can't conceive of it involving the political officer in the scenario shown.
    • I don't see any way for the core to reach critical mass. Sure, a meltdown (which I buy) would be a huge mess, and it might even cause some sort of conventional explosion (I seem to recall reading something about a hydrogen explosion), but I think there would be zero chance of a nuclear explosion.
    • I don't buy that an explosion from the reactor would cause anything other than a conventional explosion with the missiles. From what I've read about the things, they don't go nuclear unless they've been set up to do so, which in this case they obviously weren't.

15. Craig P

16. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I liked it alot, but then I like most submarine movies. I also like almost all of Ford and Neeson's work, so.

I have a couple of questions though, perhaps someone can help me out.

1. The Russian Rank of Captain and Insignia - Obviously they have more than one level of Captain and that is why Capt. Polenin had just one star on his shoulder boards. But Capt. Vostrikov is where my question comes in. While meeting with the Admirals at the beginning of the film, his insignia had 3 stars on each shoulder board. But while in uniform on the sub, his shoulder boards only had 2 stars on them. Except when he put on his big overcoat, it had 3 stars. Does anyone know what's up with that?

2. Sub Designations - They called the boat K-19, but it had a hull number of 294. Also the other sub which eventually rescued them, they referred to it as 2 hundred something, but it had a hull number of 3 hundred something. Any ideas?

3. Also, assuming, like our nuke subs, they have a watertight reactor compartment and it's relatively small, why didn't they just flood the reactor compartment? This should have kept the shutdown reactor cool enough and with the small size of the compartment the boat should still have been able to surface.

Surely someone knows a few things about the Soviet Navy.

17. Craig P