*** Official "JONAH: A VEGGIE TALES MOVIE" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brenton, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

Who besides me is anxiously awaiting the first ever full-length VeggieTales motion picture, which opens in only five days (October 4)? Does anyone know anything about the storyline (besides the obvious fact that it's a retelling of the Biblical story of Jonah and the big fish)? I know that it prominently features the hilarious "Pirates Who Don't Do Anything" as the sailors from Joppa, and I can see from the commercials that the animation looks superb.

If you have never seen VeggieTales, you owe it to yourself to check it out. It's a video series aimed at young children with the intent to teach them Biblical values, but the humor is clearly aimed at "grown up kids" and the best jokes will go way over younger heads. Even if you don't subscribe to Christian beliefs, the Biblical message isn't in your face, and is perfectly appropriate to teach good moral values even to youngsters of secular families.

2. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Singing along with Larry:
    "Oh, where is my hairbrush?
    Oh, where is my hairbrush?
    Oh where, oh where, oh were, oh where
    Oh where, oh where, oh were, oh where, Oh where...
    is my hairbrush?"
    I'll see it only if The Hairbrush Song is in it. [​IMG]
    ~Edwin

3. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

My children love the Veggie Tales. It's rather cute. Edwin, if you like the hairbrush song, sometime you ought to see "Lyle the Friendly Viking" What I enjoy about the veggie tales is that, while semi-religious in story telling (there is no over the head bang you with religion going on, just "be nice" or "you should share" type stories) there are always asides to the parents with a few pretty good gags.

We're looking forward to it!

4. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

My wife and I don't have any kids, but we will definitely be there to see Jonah! Here's hoping that they release more Veggie Tales on DVD.

Peace,

DM

5. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

Actually, in my household, it's "The Song of the Cebu" that gets us going. Especially the lyrics sung by the mute Cebu: mmm mmm mmm mmm mmm mmmm. [​IMG]

6. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

The bunny song rules. Unfortunately I've never actually heard the "real" bunny song - only the edited verison that they stuck on the DVD.

7. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

"The Song of the Cebu" and "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything" are hands down my two favorite Silly Songs.

"I've never licked a spark-plug
    And I've never sniffed a stink-bug
    And I've never painted daisies
    On a big red rubber ball
    And I've never kissed a chipmunk
    And I don't look good in leggings"
    (You just don't get it!)
    "And we've never been to Boston in the fall!"

Yeah Scott, the edited version really bites. Also, in "I Love My Lips", the person in the photo who Larry calls a "lip" is no longer Sonny Bono (the video was released prior to Bono's tragic death). They should do a Special Edition Anthology set targeted at us older fans with the original Bunny Song and the original photo of Sonny intact.

8. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Looking forward to this myself! And will be taking my daughters to this on Saturday...
    But please God-no hair brush song! [​IMG]

9. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

The only reason I ever watched Veggie Tales is because my mom, who watches my 2 1/2 yr old niece, told me the cartoon is hilarious. She kept telling me about a cheeseburger song that she loved. Well, I finally watched one and ended up watching all 4 tapes that she had. My niece Bryna and I had a great time. I laughed so hard, especially at Larry. I love that little cucumber!
    I actually want to see this movie but I don't really think my college buddies will go with me! [​IMG] Doubt my fiance would either! [​IMG] Oh well, their loss!

10. Grady Hollums

Grady Hollums Second Unit

Ditto! I love Veggie Tales and look forward to what they have instore. I hope they have fun with making it and put a lot of love into it just like Pixar does. Maybe they have added a few inside jokes that will be fun to find in it.

11. Alphonse Brown

Alphonse Brown Stunt Coordinator

Saw it this weekend and I loved it. My 2 1/2 year old daughter liked it too. The animation was great and it had a nice message about compassion and mercy. The only thing was that my daughter kept asking me "When is Bob the Tomato coming back?" because the Jonah story that takes up the majority of the movie does not include him (her favorite Veggie). He's only in it during the bookends and very sparingly during the story when they cut back to the pirates telling the story. But other than that, she loved it (in other words, she stayed still and attentive for the full 90 minutes) and the other kids in the audience seemed to love it too...they all applauded at the end.

Sorry to say that "The Hairbrush Song" is not included and surprisingly enough, neither is the Theme Song ("IF-YOU-LIKE-TO-TALK-TO-TOMATOS...")from the videos, but there are some great musical numbers in this movie. There is one gospel influenced song in particular that made our audience clap and feel like we were in church!! Can't wait to get the soundtrack with those songs PLUS it includes a few tracks of the score!!

12. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

Was there a Silly Song with Larry?

13. Alphonse Brown

Sadly, no "part of the show where Larry comes out and sings a silly song"! [​IMG]
    There is a perfect mid-point fade out when I thought it was going to occur...but no go.

14. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    Me and my brother love Veggie Tales, and we both have been waiting for a long time to see this. I know it will be every bit as good, if not better than the movie, despite the missing "Silly Song with Larry." That was always my favorite part.

15. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

It makes me drool to imagine what kind of Special Edition DVD they will whip up for us on this one.

16. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Having seen it with my kids I can tell you they won't be dissapointed. Veggie Tales is normally fairly light on the religious mentioning.. this one isn't that.. think Rack, Shack & Benny.. but that having been said, if you are comfortable with the content (which is good, clean fun) there are some really great moments, some funny songs mixed in, some big production number events, and some good jokes.

We enjoyed it a lot. And yes, I look forward to an SE DVD!

17. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Jonah: A Veggie Tales Movie". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
    All HTF member film reviews of "Jonah: A Veggie Tales Movie" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.
    Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
    Crawdaddy

18. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

According to Variety, a new Veggie Tales movie, Bob and Larry, is in the works for a 2005 release:

19. Alphonse Brown

Woo-hoo, Bob get's top billing!!!

Thanks for the news, Edwin! My daughter, who will be 5 then, and I :b look forward to it.

20. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

This is very good news! [​IMG]