*** Official "JOHN Q" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Crawford, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "John Q". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
    All HTF member film reviews of "John Q" should be posted here.
    Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
    Crawdaddy

2. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Since political discussion is not allowed on HTF, let me repost my previous comments as to how you can discuss John Q's plot controversy without getting political in nature and thus jeopardizing your posted comments to possible deletion.

3. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

All I know is the role looks juicy for Denzel based on the trailers. Seems like Oscar-type material if he plays it as subtle as the trailers look. Of course this early in the year hurts that idea.

Still it sounds sappy but the parts with DW in it seem solid. Looks like good work from him. I hope to hear some reviews on it.

4. AaronP

AaronP Stunt Coordinator

Mr. Crawford, can we mention the political aspect of JohnQ here or is it still outlawed? It *HAS* to be fair game to critisize the movie on this subject since the movie makes a point of it. Without mentioning political parties or anything else. I will try to say with FACTS IN THE LINK what JohnQ failed to do.
    Here is a small, fair use, excerpt from Ebert's review, referring to the national health care slant of the movie:
    I]but the message is pounded in with such fevered melodrama, it's as slanted and manipulative as your average political commercial [/i]
    Even though this movie is an entertainment piece, if it is going to take sides in a national political debate, then it should at least make an accurate arguement.
    If anyone here watched JohnQ and believes in its message, please at least take a look at the other side of this arguement before you make up your mind.
    What JohnQ Failed to Tell You! this is an EDITORIAL piece, but it lists a lot of facts, and has sources to back them up.

5. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I think this is taking this way too far into a political debate. Perhaps an After Hours topic of "John Q's take on medical healthcare". Come to think of it, I don't think that one would be civilized either.

Liked the movie, largely due to Denzel's acting.

*Edited down*

6. Robert Crawford

Robert

7. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

Well, I saw this the other day and I was only entertained. That's not a bad thing though. I am just saying that for me, there is no rewatchability. The trailers made it seem a lot more suspensful. But, still, it is just entertainment and I think I got my money's worth.

8. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

I just went and saw this movie the other day...since I held off cuz most of you guys' said it sucked.

Well to be honest, I really didn't think it was that bad of a movie...yes, it did have some flaws, but in most cases this is a MOVIE...which to me, I thought Robert Duvall played an excellent part, and so did the little kid/Denzel's son...

So why you all haitng this movie?