What's new

*** Official JERSEY GIRL Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
My husband, his 20-year old niece, her 17-year old friend and I went to a sneak preview of Jersey Girl last night and we all enjoyed it, the girls especially so.

It's a small little film that's cute, sweet, endearing and funny, with enough tragic overtones (the mother's death is never forgotten) to give it a bit of a melancholy edge.

The basic plot:
Ben Affleck plays Ollie Trinke, a high-powered publicist in Manhattan who meets, falls deeply in love with and marries Gertrude, played with sweet sparkle by Jennifer Lopez. Her part, unfortunately, has been cut down to near nothingness, but you still get an idea of why Ollie loves her and why he's so devastated when she suffers an aneurysm during childbirth and dies. He's not prepared to be a father to the baby Gertie and moves back to New Jersey to stay with his father Bart, played by the excellent George Carlin. Ollie loses his job (thanks to Will Smith, a running gag). Fast forward several years when the realistically cute Raquel Castro plays Gertie at age 7. Liv Tyler's funny and adorable Maya comes into their lives and brightens their world.

To say any more would give away the numerous nice and funny little moments that make the film.

Is it a great film? No, but we all were very glad we saw it. It's a small film. It's not Oscar bait material that's trying to be something it's not. Not everyone will like it, but because of the Ben-Jen legacy, those who won't like it will have a field day trying to make this into another Gigli (which, I'd bet, wasn't itself a Gigli) just because they can, and because they need things to tear down Cynics should just stay away.

Just as Big Fish (a far better film) was a father/son movie, Jersey Girl is a father/daughter movie (btw, little Gertie is the "Jersey Girl" of the title), and a very nice one at that.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I've been looking forward to this for a long while now. The release date change to the 26th, means I won't be able to see it for a while due to commitments Northward, but I'm glad to hear the non-spin machine buzz is good.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I liked it too, Vick!

It's very un-Smith-like in many ways, but it's a good-natured, sweet and seemingly quite sincere lil comedy.

One can forgive a few minor missteps bcz it seems that Smith was writing with his heart on his sleeve...as opposed to most 'warm' comedies that simply lay on the schmaltz a mile thick.

Curious to see what the Smith nutcases at large have to say about the movie.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
You rang? ;)

NO JAY AND BOB = NO SALE!!!!

Kiiiiiidding... I'll be there when it opens here. Always up for whatever Kevin's cooked up. The one man who can make Ben Affleck watchable.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I found the principal pairing a little odd given their previous coupling in "Armageddon". But they do seem to have good on-screen chemistry.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
From Wizard magazine:

JERSEY GUY
5 Questions With...Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith discusses his new flick, Ben and Jen and parenthood.

1) Have many of your fans seen the movie yet? What do they think?

A lot of them have, which is kind of frustrating because you’re like, “Man, I wish they were paying to see it[Laughs].” But largely they’re with it. Thankfully the fan base isn’t all Jay and Bob-heads. Or the ones who actually do like Jay and Bob aren’t necessarily like Jay and Bob, doing those kinds of things. When I said on the [message]board, “I’m gonna make the next movie kind of a 180 from the last one,” there were a lot of people who were like, “Thank God! Because it’s time to let those guys go and it’s kinda nice to see you try to do something without them.” This movie is not that much different from “Chasing Amy,” as much as it’s a mixture of comedic and dramatic. So people who were fans of that could probably easily slide into this.

2) New Jersey plays such a pivotal role in the movie. Do you ever get annoyed that it gets such a bad rap?

Totally, a real bad rap. But you know, we grew up in the shadows of [New York City]. So everybody’s like, “Well, you ain’t New York.” It’s like having a very successful older sibling who’s really insanely good-looking and athletically inclined, has great grades across the board and f---s a cheerleader all the time. You’ll never measure up. So you live in the shadows and you’re always second best. It just kind of makes you work harder I think.

3) Does it help the writing process when you know who is going to be cast in each part?

Very much so. I think that’s why Ben comes off kind of good in the movies we make, or better than I’ve seen him in some stuff, because I’m writing to his voice. And I’m writing to Ben’s character and I always think Ben is best when he’s playing close to himself because that to me is the most interesting Affleck—the guy in real life. He’s a fantastic guy. Charming, smart, funny. So I like writing that guy, because that’s the dude that I fell in love with.

4) When Ben and Jen split up, were you worried about what would happen to the movie?

No. When they split, I was like, “What about you guys?” And particularly Ben. He was really hung up on it. But not the movie. At that point, I had the benefit of knowing she’s not in the movie. The movie’s not about them, so their breakup was never going to really affect it. That’s why when we cast them and then they started dating while we were just starting to make the movie. People were like, “Aren’t you afraid?” But I had the benefit of knowing the movie is not about those two. It’s really about him and the kid. If him and the kid break up, I got problems. But then again, if him and the kid date, I got bigger problems [Laughs].

5) Are you still amazed at how being a parent has changed your thinking?

A little bit. It is kind of weird how priorities come into play. I used to think that the most amazing thing that ever happened to me was the fact that I had a career. You know, I got to make movies. And now I like it and I’m glad I get to do it, and I’m in love with the process and it’s very creatively fulfilling while I can still make a living doing it, but the real miracle is the kid. And that’s kind of the ongoing process. Each movie has its own little life and hopefully it lives on long after I’m gone. But the kid is the true testimony, the true legacy. You get to raise your own little human. One more chance to get it right.

“Jersey Girl” hits theaters on March 26. Kevin Smith, along with buddy Jason Mewes will be appearing at Wizard World Los Angeles, March 19-21.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I did a transcription of a VERY long Q & A that Smith did here in Philly. (Did I mention this already?) Those interested can see it here . Make sure you're comfy tho. It's looooong.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Scott. When I have the time, I'll read it.

EDIT: I finally read it. Yep, you really need to see him in action.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Great read Scott, I like how you captured the audience reactions and the mood of what was going on. It would be great to go watch one of his Q & A sessions. Very funny and quick witted, even if there are a lot of dick jokes. :)

Ricardo, have you got or seen the Evening with Kevin Smith DVD? He tells that story in a similar manner. If you haven't definitely check it out, some hilarious stuff on that set.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys!

And Derek, the 'nutcase' thing wasn't a dig. I just meant those who love the guy's earlier works.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Jersey Girl" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Jersey Girl" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Not much discussion about this film... I just saw it and really enjoyed it. I'm a big Kevin Smith fan, he's the only reason I went to see it. The trailers made it look pretty schmaltzy, and I'm sick of Ben Affleck, so I had some fears going in.

It's a fairly simple story, but it's really well told. You actually get to know and like all the characters. Ben was very likeable in it. George Carlin pulled off a character that made me forget about his stand-up routine for two hours. The little girl was wonderfull too. And the adorable Liv Tyler will make you fall in love with her.

I saw this at the right time too, as I'm about to be a new father. It reassured me on many of the feelings I was already having about this new journey. It made me look forward to it even more.

It's nice to see Smith step outside his View Askew universe and show us that he can make a good movie without Jay and Silent Bob.

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
Saw it with the wife over the weekend (I was pushing for Dawn of the Dead) :)...but I actually enjoyed it. Liv Tyler has put on some weight though, hasn't she? I kept thinking that something about her has changed in the last couple of years, and I guess that must be it.

They have a nice chemistry though, and the film works very well. Even J.Lo. was decent in her little part. And the little girl was excellent.

-Dennis

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
As a Kevin Smith Hater I plan to see this film and see if its any different than his previous movies(which I still see out of curiosity). I expect something different out of him so perhaps he will hit a home run with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks