What's new

*** Official "JEEPERS CREEPERS" Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit
I have seen Jeepers Creepers on the premiere screening at the Fantasy Film Festival in Munich/Germany several weeks ago. Along with Jason X and a lot of other yet-to-be-released dark/horror movies. Since the movie is about to start in the US, i thought i would get the reviews going:
While i wouldn't call Jeepers Creepers a horror sensation, i thought it was no dissapointment at all. I really loved the first 2/3rd of the movie, but thought that the 'showdown' didn't do the movie quite justice. I found the very end pleasing, though.
It has some humorous moments that were real crowd pleasers for fans of the genre. Suffice to say, the bad guy (yes, a monster) is quite unique, not necessary design or ability wise. I found his attitude and, eh, 'lifestyle' hilarious (you will understand).
If the movie is a reasonable success in the US, i see a good chance of him getting a new genre hero like Freddy or Jason, including sequels, like John mentioned.
The acting was kind of a mixed bag. The guy was ok, but not all that stellar, i found the girl a bit more convincing. But fortunately the bad guy was great and overall the acting seemed appropriate for this kind of movie.
Special effects weren't sensational, but did the job. Makeup effects and design on the other hand were great, or so i thought. I liked the monster design a lot, much more than that in the new 'Faust', which is similar.
The movie was shown uncut, of course. I am confident that the version shown in the US is the same we saw at the premiere. With Jason X on the other hand, that is going to be VERY unlikely :)´
My rating: 7 out of 10. Recommended. Have fun!
------------------
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity" (Bullet Tooth Tony in 'Snatch')
My HT in action (Screenshot Page) | My Ultimate 'Edge Enhancement' Guide | My DVD/LD SPL page

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Jeepers Creepers". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread. Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning! If you need to discuss those type of issues, I have designated an Official Discussion Thread which can be found at this link .
Again, without warning, I will delete all posts that are not a HTF member review!
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy
------------------
[Edited last by Robert Crawford on August 25, 2001 at 08:09 AM]

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Well, I just got back from seeing Jeepers Creepers twice in a row. I absolutely LOVED it! It lived up to all of its hype in my opinion. The Creeper looked totally awesome and the acting was pretty good. I thought that the reason the Creeper eats was pretty neat. I was so caught up in this film that I was pretty muchly on the edge of my seat the whole movie. The end sequence in the police station is nonstop suspense. The small bits of dark humor in the film were quite amusing. I am a total horror freak, and I think Jeepers Creepers is a superb horror film by all means. I also must admit that I am totally infatuated with the gorgeous Gina Philips, and she honestly gave the best acting performance in the film. As I predicted, this film has instantly become my favorite horror film of the year, and I can't wait for the DVD! This film lived up to all of my expectations, and I'll probably go see it a few more times!

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Just in from watching it in a packed cinema. To me, I loved the first two thirds of it - tense, dark horror with a few self-knowing nods but nowhere near enough to drag it into Scream/I know what you did territory, which is a good thing.
But the last third dissapointed - there was no 'payoff' in my mind, no big climax... The sequence, in hindsight, that was supposed to be the 'payoff' just didn't hit the right spot... One of my friends was VERY annoyed at what/who the killer turned out to be.
But it definitely showed promise, and the first two thirds were VERY tense & scary in all the right places...
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I agree that the first two-thirds of the film was well done and did a good job building the suspense and laying out the story. But the last third of the movie fell flat, IMO. I had no problem with the actors, though the dialog they had to work with was laughable at several points. The final scene left many, including myself feeling unsatisfied. A lot of people at the screening I was at were in an uproar...booing and even yelling "That's it?" Some guy in the parking lot even told a carload of people showing up for the next show not to see it because it was "terrible." While I didn't feel that strongly, I was disappointed because the first hour left me thirsting for a fitting climax. My final score:
star.gif
star.gif
half.gif

BTW, my favorite part and the one that got the biggest reaction from the audience: Spoiler:When The Creeper throws the bodies of the cops into the back of the truck and closes the door...only to open it back up and toss in the guy's head that he "forgot."
biggrin.gif
Also thought Justin Long was very Dennis Weaver-esque when he talks about the truck being "some sort of souped-up rig."
wink.gif

------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

Alphonse Brown

Stunt Coordinator
I enjoyed this flick a lot more than I anticipated. But like most of the reviews I read after seeing it, I agree that the first half of the flick was better.
I kept thinking, as I watched this, that had they edited the length of story down a little bit, that it would've made a great chapter in a potential "Creepshow 3".

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
I saw this last night with my dad & to my suprise, he ended up liking it & so did i. + he thought it'd be stupid & never heard of it before i told him,lol & said thanks afterwards because otherwise he never would've bothered seeing it.
The main reason was it was actually creepy & dark + interesting & not the usual wannabe hip horror flicks that the studios churned out the past few years that mostly blew & were very disapointing. This was more of a dark moody grim 70's & 80's horror movie :) Though it wasn't really gory,it did a good job of being gross & leaving it mostly to the imagination.
I agree that the 1st half of the movie was the best & creepiest part & that the last half,still was pretty good but it worked better when you never got a good look at The Creeper as in the first half,leaving your imagination do the rest.
I would say that this movie has good cult classic potential since not everyones gonna like it & would compare it to The Burning('81) which also was a less is more,all atmosphere(no huge payoff,just a dark realistic climax ect) slasher flick that worked in my opinion & scared the crap out of me,long after it was over. While JC didn't have that big of an affect on me,it did leave me feeling alittle frightened after.
Which is what real effective horror's all about!!!

Tim Raffey

Stunt Coordinator
No Real Spoilers
I saw this movie this afternoon to get my mind off of some other stuff, and it worked wonderfully. Not a great movie (I'd hesitate to even call it a good movie), but the first 40 minutes were what horror filmmaking should be all about.
I must admit that the director's past had me worried about biasing my perspective of the film (and there were a few moments where I was reminded, such as the pissing scene), but my biggest impression was that Victor Salva knows how to use a camera (I'm resisting the urge to make a tasteless comment about how he practiced).
Of course, like pretty much every other horror movie in the last decade, it fell apart at the end. But if you go in expecting no more, it is a worthwhile 40 minutes.

Rob_C

Stunt Coordinator
I really enjoyed the first hour or so. It was very 80ish horror film. Then when they explain the who/what identity of the killer. .well it was really lame. It could have used more explanation.
A couple good scary moments and a solid first hour makes it worth seeing. For some reason the movie reminded me too much of the first Pumpkinhead.
*** out of ****

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Went this past Sunday evening to see the film and was pleasantly pleased by the entire movie.
Though I agree that the movie did not have a huge payoff or an audiance pleasing ending, it worked for me. For me it was very much a homage to old style horror where there doesn't have to be a happy ending or even an ending truly at all...such as the case of Jeepers Creepers.
I found the creature very effective and the only beef that I had in the creature was that Fangoria ruined the suprise of the creature design for me (for those of you that don't know or get the magazine, they published the creature photos in last months issue, thereby ruining the shock value of the creature.)
I also found the script very natural with the relationship in between the two main chacaters.
The 'hole,'I quess that is a good word or "pit" rather, was wonderfully designed and very "Alien-esque" for me.
Overall a very enjoyable film. I think that it is great that a horror title got in the first place at the box office!
I quess now the next horror title that I have to wait for, whenever it should arrive (!), Newline....JASON X.

SteveMc

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with many of the others. I liked the film overall, but the film builds and builds to...nothing. The "climax" wasn't all that great or scary ompared to the rest of the film. As far as horror movies go, its better than I expected. Some good scares, and I enjoyed the two lead characters. I give it a B or
star.gif
star.gif
half.gif

------------------
Crash
"I don't even own a gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack."
Help us get the Friday the 13th films-UNCUT. Click Here or here

kevin_tomb

Stunt Coordinator
It seemed like they ran out of story idea after the creature attacked the police car and it was just another monster is gonna get us story then.

what made me not like the movie was it started out great with an opportunity for a really cool story, but went ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE after the creature started chasing them. What happened?? nothing....they have a big showdown at a police station and it takes the boy at the lame ending. Good opportunity for a sequel is what I believe they were trying to do..It just seemed really hard to believe that a creature has been killing for YEARS and can fly etc and NOONE has even noticed....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks