What's new

*** Official 'Jedi Knight 2 (PC)' Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Feng

Stunt Coordinator
3dfx does OpenGL well?

If I remember correctly, 3dfx cards never had very good OpenGL support. Most 3dfx users used a 3rd party driver called WickedGL to play Quake(1,2,3) engine based games. I had a Voodoo3 before and that's what I did. WickedGL was much better than the reference driver from 3dfx. I now have a Geforce2 card and NVidia's driver has much better OpenGL support.

I still remember the heated debate on OpenGL vs. Direct3D when id software decided to use OpenGL instead of Direct3D for Quake. Id software still doesn't support Direct3D to date.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yoshi, I've been playing on a Voodoo3. Make sure you upgrade to DirectX 8.1 or else the 2nd half of the game will crash when it loads

There are a ton of other graphical problems. Multiplayer keeps crashing, text unreadable. Inability to reload game, etc etc

I personally have ordered a new video card

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I could be wrong - maybe 3dfx doesn't do OpenGL that well. Where can I get WickedGL? Is it compatible with JK2?

Jeff, thanks for the advice! I think I'm still using DirectX 8.0.

By the way, is there an opening text crawl in the game? I didn't see any...?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes, there's an opening crawl, but due to 3DFX bugs we can't see it ;)
the Voodoo 3 DOES support OpenGL fine, it's just that the drivers are almost 2 years old for this card, and are not DX 8.0 certified. That's the root of most of the problems.
Wicked GL MAY solve some of the problems. Just do a search on Yahoo for it

Brennan Hill

Stunt Coordinator
I just got out of the mines and am having fun so far. But I am a little disapointed with a few areas of the game. So far I have to say that I liked Jedi Knight better then this game. Admittedly I haven't got into any lightsaber action yet so maybe things will improve for me.

1.)The musis seems lacking to me, I thought JK's was more varied then this one.

2.)I'm a little disappointed that there are usually only one or 2 secret areas per level, my son and I liked rooting out all of the secrets in JK.

3.) I do like the binoculars, but the night vision goggles are terrible.

4.)And lastly the file saving system drives me batty. With JK different users were able to log on as their own character and save their own games without worrying about writing over someone else's games. In Jedi Outcast all of the saved games are listed in one area and we keep inadvertantly overwriting the other's saved games with the quick save or when one of us catches up with the other and the system automatically saves your progress.

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
I'm getting close the end on this, and I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed with the single player. Too many silly little jumping parts - it feels like 'Mario Outcast' at times. And maybe I've played too many first person shooters, but I find myself asking when is there going to be a signficant advance in gameplay? Everything is *still* pretty much find the key/push the button/open the door and AI advances have been lackluster since Half-Life.

On the bright side, I've had a blast with the multiplayer. It's the same-old, same-old in terms of gameplay types, but adding the light saber and force powers brings new life to it.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Graphically, I thought this was a really average game until I got to the Swamp level today! :eek: Wow. Might have to crank those detail levels down a bit though. ;)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I'm at the swamp now. Overall its been ok. I too don't think the graphics are anything to write home about. Some of the textures look pretty bad and I've got it up all the way. Like on some of the ships it just doesn't look right. Also some of the level geometry is pretty bad...all those sharp corners and angles. Ughh. And don't say it should look that way, its a space ship. It doesn't look like a bulkhead, it looks like a trapazoid or a square or a pentagon.

I don't think the swamp level is anything that hasn't been done before either. Oooo...its raining...so? Everything looks the same...ok, so its supposed to be a swamp, but I'm having a hell of a time trying to see where I'm supposed to go. Is that a flat rock face or can I jump on it?

My major gripe is the lightsaber battles. Is there any technique to this or is it just run up to the other guy with a saber and slash away jumping around until he dies. Oh and whats up with me hitting him, him flying backwards, but getting right up. And me with 100 health getting hit the say way and dieing instantly?

Don't get me wrong. I'm having fun, but its turning into tedious fun. It almost looks like they rushed it out without putting the finishing spit and polish on it.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
The three things that I HATE about this game are:
1) The Cossack-like teeth that all the characters have during FMV scenes. How do they even communicate with about 30 extra teeth in their mouth.
2) The throaty death screams of Kyle when he falls from tall heigths. I HATE that scream!!
3) When ever I start a new game, it periodically darkens and I need to re-adjust the brightness... I don't know if it's just me though.
:angry:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Theforce.net reports on a "secret level" you can get to by typing "map pit" in the console. They say this level is set in the same place you faced two shadowtroopers in the single player game. Thing is, I never saw this pit when I played. Where was it, and was it an alternate path or something?

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
Well, my Jedi Knight 2 experience has been cut short because I think I might have fried my video card while trying to install more memory (static, maybe?)

So now I'm stuck with crappy on-board SiS video which probably can barely push a square across the screen.

So...how much do decent setups run these days? (Just the computer, w/o monitor, speakers, etc)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Yoshi you should build your own. You want prices I got your prices!

AMD Athlon XP 2000+ $180

MSI KT-3 Ultra VIA KT333 $105

512MB PC2700 DDR RAM $136

nVidia GeFORCE4 Ti4200 between $160 - $199

-this should be out by the end of April

-or-

nVidia GeFORCE3 Ti200 $115

Hercules Game Theater XP $95

Antec SX830 with 300W PSU $70

24x10x40x Plextor CD-RW $95

Total is about $856 plus shipping

This is a very sweet machine that anyone would be pleased to own.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Theforce.net reports on a "secret level" you can get to by typing "map pit" in the console. They say this level is set in the same place you faced two shadowtroopers in the single player game. Thing is, I never saw this pit when I played. Where was it, and was it an alternate path or something?
Its that duelling area where you first meet the two shadowtroopers. If you've already beat Galak, thers no question you've encountered it.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Weird. I've beaten the game, but I have no recollection of that area at all (and no, I did not cheat :) ). If you know exactly what level it's on, I'll go through my old saves and see if I can find it.
That Ladder map is an amusing diversion. Can be quite fun if you spawn in a few Jedi to help you, actually.
Okay. I got it. It's slightly darker, and has a few slight differences here and there. Enough to fool my muddled brain. :b

Jake Gove

Second Unit
This game has become unplayable for me. It was fine up until I got to the probe droids (first level). Then it slowed down so much it's unplayable. I don't want to get a new PC yet (mostly play games on my XBOX), maybe RAM will help. Here's what I have:

P3 450

128 meg RAM

ATI Radeon 7000 card

It's annoying enough that I have to turn everything down low. Wolfenstein runs fine on this machine, which is weird because they're using the same engine, right?

Anyone have success with Jedi on a similar machine?

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
So Im almost to the swap level at Yavin but this damn "floaty" level is killing me :angry:
What's been everyone's favorite way to off a stormtrooper? Mine is by using the force choke and then whipping my lightsaber at them - thus chopping off their dome. The force choke and wall smash is another fun manuever.

Kevin_Graham

Stunt Coordinator
Is there a way to edit the name of your saved game? My kids and I are all playing this game and it's getting difficult to remember which save is mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks