What's new

*** Official 'Jedi Knight 2 (PC)' Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Oscar_R

Second Unit
I haven't hated an FPS like this in a long long time.

My biggest pet peeves are all present in the worst forms possible.

1st gripe: stupid stupid stupid AI.

running along, stormtrooper comes out, AI jumps out in front of me and get's killed. reload, try that again.

AI get's killed again! be it by it's idiotic tendecy to instead of hanging back and letting me wipe the floor, to jump out and get itself killed at every single opportunity it gets. It's either that or it like jumping in front of my saber.........

second gripe: Find some inane key and that opens some door gods knows where and have long since forgotten. It's archaic, it's dumb, it's an artificial way of extending the length of a game.

The single player version of this game is inexcusable. It's only re-deaming quality is the multiplayer and whatever cool mods will come out for this game. Till then , it will remain un-installed

Feng

Stunt Coordinator
Oscar_R:

Hate, will lead you to the Dark Side.

Let it go. It's only a game.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Darn, that's right! I forgot this was the Jedi Outcast Praise-Only thread. :D ;)
Seriously, though.. hearing different views helps prospective buyers like me to make informed decisions. I for one am thankful for a range of opinions to better decide which games are for me and which aren't.
Kudos to Raven for their work on Elite Force. That was a solid effort on a franchise (ST) that hasn't had a consistant track record.
-J

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I am happy with how the game looks, sure it's nothing amazing, but in my mind it doesn't suck visualy. It's decent and I am certainly enjoying the game.
I AM stuck though, completely lost on where to go on the asteroid space station level. Luke appeared and we dueled with two sith trainees (or whatever they are) then he ran off and I am running around trying to figure out what to do and where to go.
Dan
PS: I've finally been bothered to make this the official thread for Jedi Knight II discussion. :D

Feng

Stunt Coordinator
Dan:

Did you find the switch that lowers the force field and all the stormtroopers get suck out to space?

Go back to that hangar. Take the elevator up. There are two switches. One is to select the three doors in the hangar. The other is to open the door you select. Open the door on the right and you can go on.

Brandon_S

Second Unit
I am definatly up for some multiplayer HTF action!! The Dark Forces series of games is by far my favorite PC game series, and Jedi Knight II lives up to all my expectations so far. I agree with many that getting past the first few levels in SP is essential to get to what the game is all about. MP is very addictive as well. There isnt much else in life quite as satisfying as striking down your fellow onliner with a lightsaber. ;)
Brandon Smith

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
so far i didnt enjoy the game. i have only played about 30 - 45 minutes, i hope the game gets better the deeper i get.

the first level is just like dark force with better graphics. i mean, lightyears better, but still, boring. de ja vu. i guess it is my own fault : after playing deus ex, half life and NOLF, every other fps games are just so so.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
btw if jk2 is just average graphically, what game is better? i am playing it on full / best setting on 1280 * 1024, and it looks much better than my gamecube and ps2 games. honest.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
A recent one off the top of my head: Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I expect that Dungeon Seige will be quite a looker as well.

-Dave

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I have to say that I'm a little disappointed with the advertiesd minimum specs. I'm running a p3-450 with 380 Mb of memory and a TNT2 card-not the greatest system in the world, but above the mins. I've got everything set as low as possible, and the second level (the outdoor parts at least) run at a crawl. I'll have to try defragmenting my hard drive tonight, but I really wouldn't call this "running".

Here's to waiting for the Xbox version...

Joe D

Supporting Actor
It runs great on my computer, which is a Pentium 3, 500 Mhz with 384 Megs of Ram, and a 64 MB GeForce 2.

So far I like the game, I've got stuck in a few spots, but I usually find my way after a bit of putzing around. I'm in Bespin right now.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
On my Athlon 500, GeForce2 MX 64M, 160M, it runs okay most the time. Most of the swamp level was a slideshow, though.

I already want to play the single-player again, but I think I'll wait until my comp is better.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Nope, still no good. Full defrag and the as much of my system resources free and it still runs at a crawl on the prison level. There's no way that this is playable on a 300 MHz system.

This has reminded me what I hate about PC gaming. Even though a system spec might be given, it's never quite the minimum that you need to run the game-or that it might run parts of the game but not others. For example, I had no problem on the first level, but as soon as the game moves outside-slideshow. Really, this is just misinformation to the consumer. At least when I buy an Xbox game, I know that the game will run on the machine as it was intended.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It may be that your video card isn't fully DX8 compatible. Is it on the approved list? Check the LucasArts web site. they have a big troubleshooting section for non-supported cards. I got a whole page on the Voodoo3 (didn't help, but it was there)

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Grrr...I've been waiting to play JK2 on my new PC...but I've had some problems with the order. First of all, it's been held up, "waiting on parts" ... then, I find out that the one I ordered NOW comes with a better processor (P4 2.4 Ghz) and a better soundcard (Soundblaster Audigy).
So I had to cancel my order and start again. Now I'm looking at a delivery date of the 23rd.
BTW, if any of you are looking into new machines, and want something REALLY Kick Ass™, check out the Gateway 700XL at Gateway.com. It'll set you back about 3G's, but I think you can ditch the flat panel monitor if you want to to save some dough.
Anyway, I can't WAIT to play JK2 on this puppy. It'll fly.
Here's the specs:
Gateway® 700XL
Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 2.4GHz with 512K L2 Advanced Transfer Cache
Memory: 1024MB RDRAM® PC800 (4-256MB Modules) (expandable to 2GB) (Limited Time ONLY)
Hard Drive: 120GB UATA100 7200RPM Hard Drive
Floppy Drive: 3.5" 1.44MB diskette drive
CD-ROM: DVD-RAM/DVD-R Drive and 40x/12x/48x Recordable ReWriteable CDRW (Windows® XP ONLY)
Certification: Energy Star Compliant
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Application Software: Microsoft® Office XP Small Business
Monitor: 18" LCD Flat Panel Display Analog/Digital (18.1" viewable)
Video: 128MB NVIDIA™ GeForce4 Ti-4600G with TV Out and DVI Graphics Accelerator (Windows® XP ONLY)
Keyboard: Multi-function Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech USB Optical Wheel Mouse and Gateway mouse pad
Sound System: SoundBlaster Audigy Audio w/ IEEE 1394
Speakers: Boston Acoustics BA7800 5-piece Subwoofer/Satellite Speaker System (only available with SoundBlaster)
Case: Gateway Mid-Tower Case
Expansion Slots: 5 PCI and 1 AGP
External ports: (6) USB (2 in front and 2 in back are version 2.0, 2 more in back are version 1.1) Parallel, Serial and (2) PS/2
Controller: Integrated Ultra ATA Controller
Modem: 56K PCI Voice Modem
Network Adapter: 10/100 Ethernet Adapter
Internet Service Provider: One year America Online® Internet Access (New members only)
Limited Warranty Program: 1 Year Limited Parts / Labor / Support
Standard Your:)Ware 2.0 Solution Package: Gateway® Video:)Ware™ Advanced
AntiVirus Software: Norton AntiVirus 90 day Introductory Offer

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Feng, thanks, I actually figured it out in the end. I am really liking this aspect of the game, there are some parts that frustrate me somewhat, but it's ultimately rewarding when I figure them out.

Dan

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
return to castle wolfenstein??? it looked silly to me. jedi knight 2 is much better graphically. wolfenstein looked bland and boring.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Wolfenstein has some great gameplay, especially when it comes to multi-player. Multi-player is decent w/JK, but I enjoy Wolfenstein's much more.

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
I'm right on the minimum specs:

PII 350 Mhz

64 MB RAM

16 MB Voodoo3 2000

Outdoor parts chug like molasses...Indoor is smoother and manageable. It's not running as bad as I thought it would be..I think it's because the now-defunct 3dfx does OpenGL pretty well.

I'm on the second level (some crystal mining place). So far it's only been blaster gunplay that's mostly mindless. The stormtrooper AI is terrible - they can see me a mile away and they mostly run around like idiots - maybe that was deliberate...When do I get to run around with the lightsaber?!?!!!?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks