*** Official 'Jedi Knight 2 (PC)' Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Rock, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

Anyone read any reviews of Jedi Knight 2? I am ordering a new computer this week and this may be the first new game I get, if it's good.

2. David Ely

David Ely Supporting Actor

I got this game yesterday. Load times are AWFUL!!!! It took nearly 2 minutes to load the first level. Hopefully this will be fixed with a patch.

Can't comment too much on the game since I only fooled around with it for about 10 minutes. The graphics are really nice, but the Storm Troopers look a little skinny (you'll have to see it for yourself).

I'll post more comments this weekend, after I get a little further in to the game.

3. Dave W

Dave W Stunt Coordinator

Got this yesterday as well and its Pretty damn cool so far [​IMG] Load times are fairly long but not too distracting as far as I'm concerned. Gameplay is awesome and AI has proved to be pretty tough. Only starting 3rd level now so consider this an "Early Impression".

4. Ash Williams

Ash Williams Second Unit

Check out TheForce.net they have a pretty straight forward review up. I will be getting it on Friday, I can't wait, it's going to be fun as hell.

5. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I will get this soon. Guys, we HAVE to have an HTF multi-player Jedi duel! [​IMG]
    Dan

6. Anthony Lopez

From TheForce.Net:

7. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Have it but I'm at work[​IMG]. Will report in when I get a play session in tonight!

8. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

Lame. Lame. Lame.

Graphics:

6/10 Maybe a 5/10. The fact that I can run this game flawlessly at 1600x1200 at over 30FPS on a Geforce 2 GTS should say it all.

Sound:

Lame, I dont even think it supports EAX.

Controls:

Standard FPS fare, which is what this is, a standard FPS.

Gameplay:

Lame crap. I only played until the first checkpoint, but it's not going to get better. This game appears to be EXACTLY the same as the last Jedi Knight game. Hell, the graphics ARE the same. Same Engine, same models. What changed? This game looks low budget. It's more dissapointmentware from LucasArts, should we have expected differently though?

Ill edit on a review of the Multiplayer when I play that tomorrow.

LSJ

9. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Second Unit

Jeff Green who wrote the review at Gamers.com, which will also be published in CGW, said over at the Quarter to Three message board that after playing it a little longer he may not have given it the perfect score. Apparently the game is really, really hard.

10. Romier S

Romier S Producer

11. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

I can't believe it, but I'm stuck midway through the first level. I've come across the first forcefield shielded door, and the crossraods in the middle of the cavernous room. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get past the forcefield, or open the 2 locked doors in the rooms off the cavernous room. Can anybody help?

So far, it's pretty cool. But it can't touch Medal of Honor for visual splendour, and the multiplayer is gonna get boring very quickly. It's my first FPS Star Wars game, so it sounds like I'm gonna enjoy it more than those who've played Dark Forces 1 and or 2.

12. BrianB

BrianB Producer

13. Adnan Sheikh

Adnan Sheikh Stunt Coordinator

Oh yeah, from what I hear, the game looks pretty bad for a Q3 engine game at anything less than the highest settings.

And yeah, the saber-less levels are pretty annoying.

14. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

Larry: The first checkpoint is what, about 3 minutes into the game? I dont think that really qualifies you to make many judgements about the game. Once you get further in, there are some really nice looking areas. Also, the models are MUCH nicer looking that Jedi Knight 1. Anyone should be able to see that.

My only complaint so far is the difficulty. I'm playing on medium and there are a few areas I've run into so far that are really tough.

Brian

15. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

Anyone running this on a lower-spec machine?
    I've currently got a P3500 with TNT2 Ultra 32MB card. I've put 384MB of RAM in it. Not necessarily a BAD machine, but I'm not going to get the highest texture quality out of it.
    I just purchased the game at EB and I'm looking forward to playing it.
    I've just ordered a new machine though, the Top of the line Gateway - 700XL and I really can't wait to try this game on it.

16. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

I'm running it on P3 733 with 256 megs of ram, and a 32 meg GeForce2 GTS card. The game is set to 1024x768, full details (I think I have shadows turned off though, not sure) and it runs smoothly. Haven't had any problems with slowdown yet.

17. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Sorry, but since when is being able to run well on a low end machine a bad thing?

18. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

With the details maxed, I think it looks fine. It's not quite Wolfenstein but it's hardly an eyesore.
    I've fooled around a bit with the multiplayer which is fun but, since I have very little idea what I'm doing, I'm getting massacred.
    The one problem I'm having is that when it goes to load the 2nd level in the single player game, a window pops up and says the program has caused an error and must close. I'm running Win XP Pro. It's consistently done this each time I've tried so I'm not sure what to do about it except wait for some word from the techs.

19. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

To get past the force field you have to take the elevator over by the droid that makes the annoying noise (the box with feet) Use your light enhancement goggles and go to the back (don't forget the bonus items) and there is a little door or grill or passage (forget which) Crouch, crawl thru it and get ready to blast

Sigh, Voodoo 3 OpenGL driver keeps crashing when I reload a game.

20. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor