What's new

*** Official "JAY & SILENT BOB STRIKE BACK!" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I saw it last night and thought it was great. After a little hassle (the theater we had tickets to didn't get their print, so we got a refund, a coupon for a free movie, and then hauled ass over to the theater that did get it. Thankfully it was only about half full when we got there.)
Everyone was laughing throughout and there's hardly a dull spot in it. Tons of great cameos, Will Farrel is great, and Jay can actually carry a movie.
Only 4 negatives I can really point out
1) The gay jokes get a little tiresome after awhile.
2) They seemed to be trying way too hard to keep Bob silent. Him acting stuff out was kinda dumb. I mean it's not like he can't talk.
3) Smith's wife just didn't fit as a super sexy diamon theif when compared to Shannon Elizabeth, Eliza Dushka, and Ali Larter.
4) The "ABC would have never canceled us" joke from the first trailer wasn't there.
And this movie didn't help my obsession with Shannon Elizabeth at all.
------------------

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
All HTF member film reviews of "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" should be posted to this thread .
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy
------------------
[Edited last by Robert Crawford on August 19, 2001 at 06:41 PM]

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
1) The gay jokes get a little tiresome after awhile.
2) They seemed to be trying way too hard to keep Bob silent. Him acting stuff out was kinda dumb. I mean it's not like he can't talk.
3) Smith's wife just didn't fit as a super sexy diamon theif when compared to Shannon Elizabeth, Eliza Dushka, and Ali Larter.
4) The "ABC would have never canceled us" joke from the first trailer wasn't there
1) The gay jokes were great, and what's not a Kevin Smith film without lots of gay jokes?
2) He can talk, but his name is SILENT Bob. But imo...
Spoiler:When Banky, Jay, and Silent Bob are behind the blunt car during the shootout and Silent Bob starts talking about why Banky needs to pay him, imo, wasn't that needed... I liked it much better when he yelled at Jay after Suzanne was stolen and that should've been the only timed he talked during the film.
3) I thought Smith's wife was good looking, not as sexy as Shannon, Eliza, and Ali, but still good looking.
4) Well, trailers and television spots from every other movie show footage not in the final product. I think the joke was deleted due to time restraints, that or it didn't "fit in" (but then again...
Spoiler:at the end, Alyssa said Bluntman and Chronic was "better than the fucking piece of shit Mallrats".
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I wondered why that one organization was so upset with Smith about the gay jokes, but after seeing it, I at least understand their reaction. They're almost constant and, in turn, not funny after awhile. I'm not saying he doesn't have a right to do it, but I wish that he could have mined some other things for humor as it does get repetitive and, maybe not offensive, but wearisome.
Funny movie overall, though...
------------------
Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
Most recent reviews: Diary of a Chambermaid: The Criterion Collection, Another Woman, September, Shadows and Fog, Alice, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Gray's Anatomy
Most recent column: One Hundred and Counting

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Clerks was alright, but kind of dull. I wasn't a big fan of Dogma at all (and not because I was offended...it would've had to have been somewhat well-made and intelligent for me to have taken offense to anything it had to say about religion in it). I think I'll wait and catch this one on HBO. I cringe everytime I see the end of the preview with Chris Rock spouting the lame "George Lucas is gonna sue somebody!" *shudder*

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Well Wes, as much as I hate to say it (because it really is a great film), you should definitely stay away from JASBSB. If Clerks or Dogma wasn't your thing, chances are you won't like this at all. Really, you'd have to be a View Askew whore (like most of the people in this thread) to catch all the jokes.
Two things shocked me about the film:
1) For once, Smith actually MOVED THE CAMERA...I nearly fell out of my seat when I didn't see a series of static shots. I've been critical of Smith's filmmaking style before (because, aside from Clerks, his brand of directing never properly matched with the onscreen actions), but this movie gives me new hope for his future works. I thought his handling of the diamond heist sequence was particularly well done.
2) This is without a doubt the first time where I've considered Shannon Elizabeth more than just attractive window dressing. She gave a lot of charm and charisma to the role...Ms. Elizabeth really nailed the role, mixing just the right amounts of naivete, innocence and smarts. Plus, with those bangs and glasses...she looked absolutely stunning!
All in all, a mecca for Smith fans, and some very funny jabs at the movie industry and the internet; I especially loved Chris Rock's character...hmmm, I wonder what director he's modeled on?
wink.gif

Best bits (in no particular order):
1) Good Will Hunting 2
2) "Now he's gonna be the pie!"
3) Seeing Shannon Elizabeth, Eliza Dushku, Ali Larter and Jennifer Smith clad in ultra-tight leather outfits
4) What "1082" really means (see Chmiel's post)
5) Jay's rap at the beginning
6) The "Scooby-Doo" scene
7) The Planet of the Apes parody
Only negative I can think of at the moment: too little of Eliza Dushku and Ali Later! Really, it's a crime in my eyes to have such beauties onscreen for such a small amount of time.
And for the record, I found Jennifer Smith to be quite lovely! Graeme, trust me, she looks a lot better than what you saw in theaters.
BTW, is Mark Hamill's lightsaber made of what I think it is? (That would be uh, a "female marital aid"...)
I had another question but it slipped my mind...must've been thinking of the leather outfit scene again. :)
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)
[Edited last by Kevin Leonard on August 20, 2001 at 10:37 PM]

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Graeme.
Your in Vancouver near me. I was just wondering which theater didn't get their print. I was unable to attend due to being out of town but I did see the flick on the Thursday night CFOX premiere at the Capitol 6. I'd be surprised if they didn't have it since they did have the print on the Thursday.
If it was Silvercity Riverport I would have been pretty damn mad as that's where I would have likely gone.
Anyways.
Great movie.. I can't wait to see it again
M.
[Edited last by Mark McLeod on August 21, 2001 at 01:57 AM]

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Heh. For those of you who have seen the film (stay away if you haven't yet), go to Link Removed

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Your in Vancouver near me. I was just wondering which theater didn't get their print. I was unable to attend due to being out of town but I did see the flick on the Thursday night CFOX premiere at the Capitol 6. I'd be surprised if they didn't have it since they did have the print on the Thursday.
We had tickets for SilverCity Coquitlam, and when we got there they had signs on the door saying that it would not be shown. While getting our refunds we found out that Coquitlam and Riverport had not received their prints and that Metrotown and Capitol 6 had. So we hauled ass over to Metrotown and were able to see it there.
----
And I'm not trying to say that Jennifer Schwalbach Smith isn't a lovely lady (and Kevin is right, he did good for a fat guy), but that she just stuck out from the other 3, which I found distracting. The others I saw it with agreed with me. The girl that was with us thought she looked very gaunt.
----
Was there a scene at the very very end after all the credits had rolled by? I thought I had heard there was but the theater stopped it before the credits were completely done. What was it?
------------------

Danny R

Supporting Actor
The scene at the very end:
Spoiler:A book appears with the words THE END showing. The book closes, and you see Alanis Morrisette holding it and smiling. She was playing the same role as in Dogma.
Also if you didn't see the very end of the credits, there is a line saying something like "No gay people were harmed in making this film" just after the usual one about animals.
Thats all.
3) Seeing Shannon Elizabeth, Eliza Dushku, Ali Larter and Jennifer Smith clad in ultra-tight leather outfits
Yummy. Anyone know what the instrumental music is that is playing as they are shown outside the van? Its repeated just after the song about getting high during the credits.
[Edited last by Danny R on August 21, 2001 at 10:14 PM]

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
For the record, I have not seen this film yet,
but I am a fan of Smith's work, and after posting
this message in the "gay-friendly DVDs" thread,
I thought it fit this thread as well:
(For the record, I am also a tootie-fruit.)
As a side note, I was skipping through channels
last night, and landed on Politically Incorrect
and found Kevin Smith discussing his recent $10,000"donation"
to The Matthew Shepard Foundation, based on GLAAD's
concerns over the film Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.
Basically GLAAD was concerned about a scene where
one jerk uses the term "That is so gay.".
James VanderBeek (or whatever his name is) smacks
the guy and says his comments were "homophobic."
Apparently GLAAD didn't like the use
of the phrase, feeling it would be "misinterpreted."
This is the kind of over-reactive bullhonkysnot
REALLY that pisses me off.
So now a very gay-friendly director isn't allowed to
show the ignorance of his characters by allowing them
to use phrases like "That is so gay!",
in his clearly open-minded films?
So, apparently being open-minded only goes one way:
to the left.
Anything that requires intelligence to decipher
must be censored...after all, we must protect the
stupid from themselves.
I am appalled at people who are overly sensitive to this
kind of stuff.
Frankly, I think there is going to be a backlash
against people who take offense at every stupid little
thing,
and I will be the first to throw a rock at the pc-police
when they pressure artists to modify their work.
I am sick of idiots who have nothing better to
do then point out that they are part of some minority,
and how we all have to walk on eggshells to make
sure we don't hurt their feelings.
And I am feeling particularly frustrated
with members of the gay community who
act like fragile little flowers that
will wilt if not given nurturing at every opportunity,
especially when the central message of many of these
films is tolerance and acceptance.
I am all against ethnic/religion/orientation
based hatred...but this hypersensitivity,
which has now lead to Kevin Smith being basically
blackmailed into "donating" $10.000 to appease
GLAAD is totally unacceptable.
A pissed off gay person,
Mark
[Edited last by Mark Walker on August 22, 2001 at 02:35 AM]

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Mark,
If that is what the organization was upset about, did they ignore the rest of the film? Maybe I was more aware of these jokes because of this "controversy", but the film seems to average a gay joke every minute or two. If all they have a problem with is that one comment, I'm all the more confused. As I said before, I think these jokes get very repetitive after awhile anyways.
------------------
Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
Most recent reviews: Diary of a Chambermaid: The Criterion Collection, Another Woman, September, Shadows and Fog, Alice, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Gray's Anatomy
Most recent column: Panning P&S

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I think sometimes organizations... all organizations.. lose some of the ability to effectively decipher satirical humor from mean spirited hatred.
Kevin Smith has been more supportive of the gay & lesbian community then most directors.. Chasing Amy, and other films, have always presented the gay characters in a positive light. Yes, several of the characters do refer to those characters in not the best terms.. but if you ignore the fact that in real life, those things happen then you end up with a super bland film for everyone.
Did I see GLAAD protest Six Feet Under for having characters make all sorts of allegations - even statements of inherent belief - about the gay community? Or did they go after Six Feet Under for showing a gay character who was overtly promiscous - something GLAAD has railed on as a portrayal in the past?
No, not really.. and the reason is because it advanced the story. I get GLAADs arguments on one level.. but on another level, they try to turn everything into a "black hat" "white hat" debate, in which there is no middle ground. Reality is far different then that, and yes, there are people who are both straight and gay who are "bad people" and there are also people in both communities who are "good people" (the vast majority) but by continously trying to place the black hat on anyone who even jokes at their community, they don't come off as self assured and presenting a positive foot forward; they present themselves as co-dependant and waiting on societal approval.
GLAAD just needs to take a deep breath and say "Did this really attack the lifestyle, or did it show two idiots throughout the entire film doing idiotic things with idiotic beliefs because they were stoners?"

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
As a former Jay & Silent Bob fan, this movie sucks! If I hear the work F**k one more time I'm going to go crazy!
icon13.gif

------------------
Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation
http://apacure.org/

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This sort of film appeals to those who have the momentum of having seen the previous Kevin Smith films, and getting to enjoy the self-deferential humor on display. Ben Affleck and Matt Damon's take on each other's films are pretty darn scathing and funny.
Biggs and Vanderbeek were excellent in their roles and in their reaction to their their real-life personas.
Chris Rock started out tepid (material-wise), but gained steamed as the scene played out.
Too bad they couldn't squeeze in Claire Forlani (I didn't miss Jeremy London though) for a cameo.
I thought the actual trek to Hollywood (once they get the orangutan and get through the POTA bit) dragged a bit with out of place homages. J&SB just don't work in a rural environment.
Overall pretty decent send-off for the 2 characters.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
As a former Jay & Silent Bob fan, this movie sucks! If I hear the work F**k one more time I'm going to go crazy!
Then why in god's name are you a former Jay and Silent Bob fan? If you combine the first four films, there must be at least 600 uses of the word 'fuck'.
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Danny R

Supporting Actor
J&SB just don't work in a rural environment.
And this of course brings to mind the scene outside the glass window.
wink.gif

Jacob Perry

Stunt Coordinator
Just got back. Great flick.
My only complaint, too little Jason Lee! I'd pay good money to see Brody and Banky Strike Back.
Nice send off though. Thanks for the laughs Kevin Smith!

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Was there a scene at the very very end after all the credits had rolled by? I thought I had heard there was but the theater stopped it before the credits were completely done. What was it?
This happened at the showing I attended as well. I was so pissed off I went and got a manager and explained that they cut off the ending. He had no clue what I was talking about but gave me 2 free passes.
Jeff

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Saw it again tonight (to actually give Kevin his $12.75 or whatever portion of that he actually gets) and it was just as good the second time as the first. Of course, sitting by people that hadn't seen it helped. But man, some of those jokes are priceless.
Unfortunatly, the theater was rather empty. Although it was a 10:30PM showing and the last of the night, I was hoping for a slightly fuller crowd. Hows it been everywhere else?
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks