What's new

*** Official IRREVERSIBLE Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I noticed 3 walkouts during the rape scene, and some pretty strong gasps during the fire extinguisher beating.

Interesting, Peter...I too have spent the last few days with a LOT of hugging of my wife and daughters...

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
This is from Ebert's review...
And then we would follow Marcus and Pierre in a search for La Tenia, which leads to an S-M club named the Rectum, where La Tenia is finally discovered and beaten brutally, again in a shot that continues mercilessly, this time with a hand-held camera that seems to participate in the beating.
Anyone notice something wrong? ;)

Bill Harris

Stunt Coordinator
Michael :
Nice find on the Ebert error. Maybe he walked out too and got Roeper to ghost write his review :)

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I'm not surprised at the Ebert error...many critics seem to have missed that Le Tenia goes unharmed.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I'm not surprised at the Ebert error...many critics seem to have missed that...
I have to admit that I almost made the same error myself when I saw the film. That scene was so difficult to watch that I can understand how others could make the wrong assumption. I actually wanted to watch the film again to confirm my doubts, but I didn't have the courage to see it again right away.

AbelM

Second Unit
So is it out in the U.S.? If so in the movies or DVD...I wanna see...I wanna see!!!!! :frowning:

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Anyone know who 'Anwer Man' is? I sent a message via Roger Ebert's Sun Times website, asking whether he was aware of the error in the IRREVERSIBLE review. Somehow, I don't think it's Mr. Ebert himself, but instead an intern or associate.
I was sent the following email:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, I think I got that wrong! Well...makes it even worse, right?
--
Best,
RE
Both 30% off at Amazon.com:
--Roger Ebert's Movie Yearbook 2003
-- The Great Movies, by Roger Ebert
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
Not quite sure what this response means? Anyone venture a guess what 'it' is and what 'worse' means?
EDIT: After looking at the original email, I discovered the initials, 'RE' at the closing. Didn't catch this in the actual email since it's printed in a lighter shading. Plus, I initially ignored the signature, since I thought it was an advertisement, which it mostly is.
Cool that Mr. Ebert could fire off a reply, albeit somewhat cryptic.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Not quite sure what this response means? Anyone venture a guess what 'it' is and what 'worse' means?
I would imagine "it" is the (chronological) ending of the movie and "worse" would be the impact of that ending upon the characters involved. To restate Ebert's response: "Yes, I think I got that wrong! Well...that fact makes the ending even worse for the characters, right?"

DJ

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
I think "worse" just means the act is even more brutal and senseless, since it doesn't even have the slim moral justification of having been carried out against the actual perpetrator.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
That's funny... I also sent Roger an email thru the Answer-Man form (but I didn't get a reply). Poor guy... he's probably going to get hundreds of these. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Irreversible" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
All HTF member film reviews of "Irreversible" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Any word on if its getting a wide release...or a DVD R1 release...cause I doubt its comin to my town...

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Ill have to go to NYC to see this and just dont have the time:frowning:
Ill have to wait until the DVD

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Roger Ebert has corrected his review.

Somehow, I don't think that Irreversible, in its extant incarnation, will see the light of day on R1 dvd. Which sounds odd, since it is making theatrical rounds, albeit on an extemely limited scale.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Somehow, I don't think that Irreversible, in its extant incarnation, will see the light of day on R1 dvd.
Why in the world not? Lion's Gate hasn't shown much fear in releasing unrated films on DVD. If they took the step of releasing it theatrically, I think a DVD release in the same unrated form is pretty much guaranteed.

DJ

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Saw it this afternoon at Fifth Avenue, and there was security in place. They had a staff member at the door of the individual theatre, checking tickets...and they carded the guy buying his ticket in front of me. They also made it very clear what I would be seeing via a bright red notification on the glass of the ticket booth that that was pointed out to me by the ticket seller.

They were also counting heads in the theatre. I'm guessing they were comparing it to the number of tickets they sold?

There were only about 3 or 4 walkouts, for a roughly half full theatre. One during the scene in the club, 2 or 3 during the scene in the underpass. A lot of people (me included) shrunk down deep into their chairs ready to cover their eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks