What's new

Iron Man (2008) (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Ric saw the movie.

As for a great way to sell it, I convinced about 3 people at work and and 2 friends to go see it. Im going again today and taking my brother. Im going again with another friend who cant make the time until weds.

Im actually suprised how few people know about it, as a bunch of comic book fans were walking about I mentioned to them they would want to stick around and they all sat back down, cheered when it was over and then thanked me for telling them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Why are some of you dogging out Favreau? He directed maybe four theatrical films in his entire career and I consider this a very good effort on his part and if he sticks to directing, he will get better at it.

Crawdaddy

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I agree. He's not a terribly showy director, but that's not a bad thing. He did a great job of keeping the audience invested through a movie that wasn't terribly action packed. He understands how to edit to increase tension.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Haven't seen Made yet but both Elf and Iron Man are really good films. I think people forget how enjoyable Elf is. His only stumble so far, for me, has been Zathura which wanted to be an 80s Amblin/Spielberg film but just couldn't capture any of that magic.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Iron Man". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Iron Man" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

I've seen the film twice, but didn't notice a Swank cameo, though I did spot a woman who looked similar to Swank in the craps table scene, she blew on Tony's dice before he rolled snakes eyes. So, where exactly does Swank show up in the film?

BTW, anyone else notice the nice Robocop homage during the Iron Man Mark I suit escape sequence as he is flaming up the place, but the bad guys get the drop on Iron Man, and he's on his knees trying to move from left to right on the screen, probably just before he kicks in the flight boost to make his escape. It looked just like the scene in Robocop. I also noticed that some of the hydraulic sounds when Iron Man walks sound like Robocop.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Acoording to BOmojo

Domestic: $104,250,000 51.9%
+ Foreign: $96,750,000 48.1%
= Worldwide: $201,000,000

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I am really enjoying this experiment on behalf of Marvel. By producing their own movies they have more control over how they might interact in the future (Avengers!?!) as well as general control over content to avoid a studio uninterested in character or story details getting their mitts too far into the production.

Does Marvel Studios now have the rights to their already produced characters, like Spidey or the X-Men? I know they have plenty of other films to do (Cap, Ant Man, Thor, etc.) but it would be nice to see their version of Fantastic Four or Daredevil vs. the somewhat lame studio versions. Or would there have been any difference? Favreau's Iron Man just feels more like a Marvel Supers movie should and I don't know if it is coincidence or the more direct involvement of their parent company.

Any thoughts or good links to stories about this? I hope that Box Office blows this budget out of the water so we can be assured of future movies with Iron Man in it as well as the promise that post-credit scene hints at.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Jon Favreau may not possess fantastic visual style, but his strengths as a filmmaker have given Iron Man more substance than most popcorn films. He may be no Christopher Nolan or Bryan Singer, but like them, he understands the titular character and that's the reason the film works. I've read a decade's worth of Iron Man comics (mid-80s to mid-90s) and Favreau got it right, from the characterizations to small things, like "Jarvis" and a Malibu mansion that looks like it was taken from the comics.

Robert Downey Jr., one of our finest living actors, does an impressive job making Tony Stark likeable; I just can't see anybody else doing a better job in the role. If you need somebody to play a tortured-yet-glib eccentric, Downey's your man.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I saw this today, I agree with the comments that it was about on par with the first Spider-Man. Probably a little better.

Although as with most origin Superhero movies these days, it suffers from the fact that they need to spend so much time on the origin that you unfortunately don't get to see much of said hero in action. (Batman Begins had just about the perfect balance in that regards).

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
I was one of the few people I knew that read the comics, and after so long this felt like a really good start to a series. Loved RDJ as Tony Stark, he fits this charecter so well. Great look to the suit and I thought the Rhodie bit: "Next time baby." was funny as hell. I guess he's also not naked under there after all eh? LOL :emoji_thumbsup:

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Saw it today and enjoyed it very much. It had just the right amount of humor without ever degenerating into camp. The action sequences were well done, and I didn't leave thinking there wasn't enough of them. There's a lot of (justified) criticism of overuse of CGI, but it really does serve the story here instead of the other way around. It's great to see such technology bring a comic book to life in a way that never could have been done in the past. Fine performances all around. I don't think I've ever see a better comic book movie.

I wish I had that suit!

todd s

Senior HTF Member

This is the one thing that pissed me off about Marvel movies (& Different studios). Is that if another character is with another studio. It can't be mentioned. For example. In Daredevil. They couldn't have the reporter work for the Daily Bugle (because the rights were with Spidey & Sony). So they had him work for the Post.
I hope now Marvel has a clause in any new deals. That other characters, places, etc can be mentioned. Even if they are with another studio.

IanDP

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
I loved that line too. I also didn't see it coming, but maybe we should have. The key is that Stark changed over the course of the movie; grew up a bit. But then he says that last line and we realize that he's the same old Tony Stark.
I also loved the use of the Black sabbath song immediately after he says the line. It was just a great way to incorporate the song.

Brian D H

Second Unit
I loved it - and I wasn't a fan of Iron Man before this. While it may not be the "best" comic-book movie ever made, it may very well be the most fun!

Question: I didn't know to stay until after the end-credits. Could someone please tell me what scene I missed? (Spoiler tag it) Thanks.

RobertW

Supporting Actor

I was really impressed with the quality of the CGI. There was only one short instance where it looked fake, I think in one of the shots of him flying by the ferris wheel. The rest it was spot on, almost like they'd built little robot models and filmed them. It really kept me in the movie, as it blended with the live action stuff really well.

That's one of the things that really bugged me about the Hulk, and even parts of Spiderman. The CGI'd characters didn't move like real people, their actions and movements were sped up, out of sync. And often it just looked like animated characters stuck against real backdrops, and just destroyed my suspension of belief, and took me right out of the movie.

Not so here. It was perfect. The suit was awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks