*** Official INTOLERABLE CRUELTY Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by JonZ, Oct 9, 2003.

1. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Intolerable Cruelty" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Intolerable Cruelty" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

3. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

Looks like they have made another winner, we have to wait until next Wednesday to see it. Australian Empire Magazine gave it a 5 star rating, and they don't usually just hand them out to anything. Of the 9 features from the Coen's I have seen, they haven't disappointed me yet.

I'm taking a day off to see this and Kill Bill as well. [​IMG]

4. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

i saw the sneak of this on Tuesday. It is Hilarious!!

5. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Yeah, I saw a sneak of this thanks to Wired yesterday night...I thought it was very humorous, and the relationship between Clooney and Zeta-Jones was HOT onscreen...not to mention: she. is. hooooot.

That, and I was practically giggling when Bruce Campbell came onscreen. [​IMG]

Very entertaining evening.

6. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Bruce Campbell was in the scene with "Dr." Howard Doyle in the soap opera on the TV in the bar after Miles's NOMAN keynote speech.

That scene JonZ alluded to was set up beautifully, and the audience was laughing for a good 5 minutes as the resolution of the film played out. Oh man, my gut was hurting so much from the payoff of the scene.

8. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Richard,
    I couldn't stop laughing after that scene. Damn, Zeta-Jones is one beautiful woman.

Crawdaddy

9. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

VERY disappointed!!

EASILY the worst Coens film to date.

[​IMG] [​IMG] out of 4

10. StevenA

StevenA Second Unit

I thought this was appalling. One of the worst films I've seen recently from talented filmmakers. BTW, was that courtroom banter ("have you sat before this judge before"... etc) supposed to be clever wordplay?

As for the stars, Clooney's hamming was forced and awkward, IMHO, and Zeta-Jones taking the Hepburn role? She doesn't have an ounce of Katherine Hepburn's talent. She looks nice, but that's about the extent of her contribution.

The tone was all over the place. The scenes featuring the owner of the law firm seemed straight out of a Gilliam film, then there was the screwball stuff, plus a touch of the Coens' dark humor, but nothing meshed.

And how about the plastic surgery and Hollywood wives jokes? Very old, very easy, very lazy.

A horribly disappointing effort from the makers of such exceptional comedies as Raising Arizona and The Big Lebowski.

11. Sean Dilly

Sean Dilly Agent

I love every Coen Brothers movie so I had high expectations going in to see Intolerable Cruelty. The movie was very boring and didn't have that same Coen Brothers feel. I didn't find the movie funny, couldn't relate to the characters, and the dialogue wasn't that great. Has to be the worst movie by the Coen's by far. Hey they are 9/10, not bad. I hope they bounce back and make another classic soon. By the way, Catherine Zeta Jones ruined this movie. She cant act and I hate her snobbish attitude.

12. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

13. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

14. Nick Totoro

Nick Totoro Stunt Coordinator

You know... I was watching that scene and thinking to myself "Was that... ?" [​IMG]

I got home and pored over IMDB and tried to find any reference to Bruce Campbell linking him to that movie, but found none. Maybe I just didn't look hard enough. Thanks for comfirming, though... [​IMG]

Nick

15. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

I found this movie entertaining. Certainly it is not up to the Coen Brothers' highest standards, and it felt a bit off compared to their other efforts, but for me the movie was worth seeing.

The...
    ... deliberately cheesy slow-clap and subsequent roar of applause after Clooney's N.O.M.A.N. speech...
    ... I thought was a nice touch to clue the viewers in that something was amiss.

Could've been better, but was well worth my $4.75 for a Sunday matinee. Laugh out loud funny in parts, and entertaining almost throughout.