*** Official "INSOMNIA" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AbelM, Mar 5, 2002.

1. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

My God, I am totally wetting my pants for this film...

It's the same guy who did Memento correct? And Memento is a great movie.

What are all ya'lls' thoughts about this movie? I know its not out yet, but from what you have heard and read??

2. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

Well, I saw the trailer and Williams doesn't look too convincing as a bad guy.

3. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Yah...I just have to keep telling myself "It's not Patch Adams, It's not Patch Adams..." [​IMG]
    I agree though, I had (and to a certain extent still have) high hopes for this film, but I have a feeling that if Robin's performance isn't dead on...I won't like it.

4. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

See the original movie, Insomnia on Criterion Collection DVD. Please. For the sake of quality art, see the original [​IMG]
    Doug

5. Terrell

Terrell Producer

I've been looking forward to this film ever since I saw the trailer. I'm a big Al Pacino fan, so I'll see anything he's in. Looks like it might be a good one.

6. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

7. Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson Supporting Actor

I loved Memento but the preview for this one had me doing this...
    [​IMG]

8. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

I read a short notice on this in a Norwegian newpaper yesterday, and although it was mostly filling material describing the trailer and original movie. It also said that Christopher Nolan had "made it clear" that the movie would be "americanized" and have "a larger format". There was also some some quotes from Erik Skjolbjærg, which made it seem that he had been offered to direct the american movie, but he declined, because he did not want to make the same movie twice. In doing so, he also accepted that the result would not look like the original, and that there would be some surprises.

9. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Two friends of mine saw an early screening of the Nolan remake, a couple of months ago. I also own the Criterion release on DVD.

Their reactions were muted... They seemed to think that certain scenes worked really well, and other parts dragged on. To be honest (as much as I like it), that's how I feel about the original.

And yes, apparently there are a few instances of 'Pacino-isms' in the film (scenery chewing), but less than you'd think. Less believable is an instance where Robin Williams is viciously kicking a downed Pacino.

So much for Patch Adams!

Joseph

10. BrandonL

BrandonL Stunt Coordinator

Lets just say when I saw this movie it put me to sleep. Robin Williams isn't very believable in his role. Pacino is decent but the movie drags almost the entire time. Hilary Swank, I think that's who it was, looked good in the movie. I wonder when it comes out if they will change a lot of the movie from what i saw.

11. MickeS

MickeS Producer

12. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

Does anybody know when this is coming out?

13. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

24th of May

14. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

I saw the preview of this film and nearly wet myself. It looks so good. And that cast- Hmmmmph.....classy! BTW- I thought Williams looked fantastic in the film. Trust me, he can play a bad guy, I know hes got it in him.

15. Jim Rankin

Jim Rankin Stunt Coordinator

I saw a special on this film on Bravo yesterday, and I thought it looked pretty good. I too have seen the original version of this film, it was no masterpiece but I thought it was pretty involving. I do understand the trepidation of Robin Williams playing the baddie - but you never know actor's can turn things around once in awhile (I will probably be sneaking in here next week to edit that part out of my post[​IMG] )

16. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

As a norwegian, I finally had the common decency to actually buy and watch the Criterion DVD. And I will say this for Robin Williams, not only do I think he is a capable actor very much able to turn in a good performance suited for the movie he is in, but watching Bjørn Floberg in the original, keeping in mind that he would be replaced by Williams, I had no trouble seeing Williams filling his shoes. In my opinion, Floberg's role was not all that demanding, and the whole character had a sort of muted presence to him that I think any decent actor should be able to duplicate the essence of. The only problem a guy like Williams might have, is to avoid over-acting [​IMG]

17. Richard WWW

Richard WWW Stunt Coordinator

I saw Williams in the trailer and my interest took a nosedive. I may still see it though, just to say I gave four Oscar winners a chance.[​IMG]

18. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Ebert and Roper were VERY positive in ther opinions about this movie. That got my interest up a bit.

/Mike

19. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Wow, I was really surprised to see everyone so down on this. I saw it tonight and think that, along with About a Boy, it's one of the year's best so far. I've intended to see the original but haven't been able to get around to it. I may have to speed up that process now.

Williams finally acts rather than ACTS. Give him a chance. He's good in his role. The self-parody he has been recently is not in witness here. Pacino is more subdued here too (no HOOHAH!) and delivers an excellent performance.

Nolan's again in noir territory. You know, the shadings separating good and evil, that sort of thing. It's still interesting, and the two hours fly by. Memento got him noticed; this will put him in the big time. It's a very assured film, not to mention a great looking one.

Time to work on my review...

20. Michael Caicedo

Michael Caicedo Second Unit

Michael Caicedo
    I saw this movie tonight. The plot had a couple of weakspots but overall a decent thriller. Pacino had a couple of terrific scenes and Robin Williams put in a respectable performance-less a couple of unintentionally funny parts. Hilary Swank holds her own with Pacino and in the end the movie works. YMMV.